Thread: Proof that even wild animals LOVE AGD:-)

Proof that even wild animals LOVE AGD:-)

Most of you that know me have seen a little "addition" to my "family" this past December. If you can see me on Facebook, you have been able to watch first hand as I start a new chapter in my life as a hobby.

So for all of you that haven't seen him...... Here is "Gunny"

My Red-Tailed Hawk :-)

Notice that he is perched on top of my Orange VER gun... Next to another AGD marker. He's a bird of standards!

He's a Passage Male Red Tail Hawk (under a year, juvenile) Born March/April of 2014. I trapped him December 7th 2014. He weighed 1297g when I got him. He weighs 879 grams today. I got my falconry permit this last season (yes, it is a federal crime to have a bird like this without a license). He's ready to free fly (fully trained to hunt with me) as soon as the wind dies down a bit.

bad ass,
    you do have gps on him correct.
    just incase a hunter decides to break the law and shoot him?

I just ordered a ledesma GPS for him. I also carry my 1911 when I'm out with him.
    If he gets shot, I'm going to make sure the hunter knows how I feel about poachers

Quote Originally Posted by p8ntbal4me View Post
    I just ordered a ledesma GPS for him. I also carry my 1911 when I'm out with him.
    If he gets shot, I'm going to make sure the hunter knows how I feel about poachers
    yes perfect.
    I had a good friend lose three of his birds by dick hunters.
    as a hunter myself. the idea of shooting a bird like these that you well know is a falconry bird is a huge no no

Sorry, it popped into my head and I couldn't get it out. Beautiful bird!

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-mmZg9u2P9Z...600/falcon.jpg

If that bird craps on or scratches that gun im driving up there to confiscate them.

So are you training Gunny to hunt paintball players using the Orange VER gun?
    Quote Originally Posted by dano_____ View Post
    I keep forgetting to not feed my mags after midnight so they seem to multiply regularly.

very cool.
    "because every vengeful cop with a lesbian daughter, is having a bad day, and looking for someone to blame"

Quote Originally Posted by BigEvil View Post
    If that bird craps on or scratches that gun im driving up there to confiscate them.
    honestly a better story than most scratches on guns.

"oh it clinked against my other gun in the gearbag" vs "a hawks claw, yeah he scratched it"

Very cool. How did you go about trapping the bird ? Always wondered how people went about getting them.
    BEZERKERS
    ALL MAG SHOOTING TEAM

didn't know you were allowed to even trap them myself. always thought falconry would be neat.

Quote Originally Posted by wimag View Post
    Very cool. How did you go about trapping the bird ? Always wondered how people went about getting them.
    I made a trap specifically to catch a raptor. I make all my equipment now

Quote Originally Posted by vintage View Post
    didn't know you were allowed to even trap them myself. always thought falconry would be neat.
    You have to trap your first bird (or have on transfered to you) as an apprentice (which I am). Your only options are a red tail or a kestrel. Kestrels are easy to kill, so I got a red tail.

It's a feleny to trap a bird of prey without a permit. There is a lot of red tape but it's possible. And if you love wild animals and hunting like I do,.... This is an amazing hobby to have!

I think this post needs to be closed. I can't believe that Jai is showing off his bird. Disgusting...

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody View Post
    I think this post needs to be closed. I can't believe that Jai is showing off his bird. Disgusting...
    we've been enjoying the videos on FB... but you wouldn't know anything about that.
    Stay Classy, AO...
    BEO: RIP / Topgun Paintball: RIP / Old MCB: RIP

Don' ask questions. It is considered "trolling" in some locations.
    Is that the same as a "Cooper Hawk" ?

Quote Originally Posted by MANN View Post
    No , the Copper's Hawk is smaller , but has a longer tail . With their smaller lookalike, the Sharp-shinned Hawk, Cooper’s Hawks make for famously tricky identifications . A Juvenal Red tail will constantly be mistaken for a full grown male Cooper's hawk.

Nice looking raptor

The plumage of a bird is one of the things you must learn to get a license. I found it difficult to tell a red sholdered hawk from a juvenile red tail hawk going into the molt.

Now that I have seen them both up close, I can tell the difference from a few hundred yards away. It takes time and a lot of research

Quote Originally Posted by MANN View Post
    That name "Cooper's hawk" is the actual name for the bird, as would the name "Red-Tailed Hawk".
    The issue with uneducated persons comes into play when the "known" names are used: for example a red tail is known as a "chicken hawk", which is not as common any more for a hawk to take with a rooster present.

Even the name "falcon", has a specific bird it is named for (male perigine)

It's a lot of stuff to learn, but it's so rewarding!