Thread: Powerfeed cut down guide?

Powerfeed cut down guide?

Curious if there is a guide or a reasonable measure to cut down a powerfeed? Got a nice hacksaw blade to cut down the powerfeed on my RT Classic to get the hopper a little lower and more in line with everything else. Just don't want to end up cutting it down to far to cause feeding issues or mounting issues with my Armson elbow. Any tips would be great thanks
    I made the mistake of trading for a mag...now I'm trapped
    Cocker, Automag, and Misc Parts FS

Cyco-Dude Guest
    you can trim 9/16" off, and that should get it pretty close with enough room to fully mount the elbow, with enough left-over to finish the cut. by time you got it flush and cleaned up, the elbow should be down about as far as it could go.

Sweet thanks bud

put elbow on feed

measure gap between elbow and body

cut that much off.
    "because every vengeful cop with a lesbian daughter, is having a bad day, and looking for someone to blame"

Cyco-Dude Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
    put elbow on feed

measure gap between elbow and body

cut that much off.
    ...about 9/16".

Don't forget to deburr the cut. You can use a hacksaw, sawzall, pipe cutter.

don't cut it
    Email me for low prices on ALL AGD Products and more. tunaman5@verizon.net
    Tunamart

Will definitely deburr the cut afterwards. Need to get a pipe cutter some day, handy thing to have around.

Any particular reason Tunaman? I plan on regularly using my classic and it feels too off center with the hopper so far over, plus when I switch hands the hopper is directly in my sight line

Cyco-Dude Guest
    probably because untouched classic rt bodies in good shape are hard to come by? i don't cut anything unless it's already been cut already (or unless the build requires it, but those are special cases).

i sight in the "v" between the top of the body and underside of the feedneck. anyway, if you keep both eyes open, you should be able to "see" through the hopper / feedneck. maybe your marker is too low when shouldered? the hopper shouldn't really be in your line of sight.
    Last edited by Cyco-Dude; 02-03-2015 at 12:50 AM.

I chuck them up on the knee mill, level the tube for a clean square cut and cut it with a cut off wheel.

I normally sight where the hopper and feedneck meet. With a powerfeed that sight ends up too far to one side of the marker. But more so the weight is off and doesn't feel quite right in my hands. I'd prefer it to be more in the center for looks, weight, and sight line. And the body isn't perfect condition, it has seen its fair share of use before it got to me.

Guess I'll have to go by the old adage of measure twice cut once.

+1 for cutoff wheel.

-1 for pipe cutter.

Quote Originally Posted by Tunaman View Post
    don't cut it
    if its the difference between someone using an automag, and not using an automag to "preserve" it, id rather they cut the feedneck and use it.