Thread: Recycling Carbon Fiber Tanks

Recycling Carbon Fiber Tanks

So I have a very old 88ci Cross Fire tank that is coming up on the end of its legal lifespan. It spent quite a few years in sealed storage not doing much, and is in great shape, but I don't think there is any way to get around the old expiration date.

Question is: is there anywhere I can send it to recycle it, or does anyone have any thoughts on alternative uses for old tanks? I'll take the valve off and see if I can't use it somehow, but I want to see if there are any recycling options for the tank itself.

Pretty sure once they are dead, they are dead. Might find someone who wants it to fill off their scuba tank, but other than that I don't see much use. There is a similar thread on MCB about this as well. Will most likely come up again as all the 98/99 tanks start to hit the end of their lives.

Yeah its aggravating to pay good money for a tank,pay to keep her in hydro and then after 15 years be told to throw it away.
    I've got several tanks outta date and still in great shape but because of a law/rule I'm forced into buying new if I wanna go play.
    I say if a tank can pass a hydro test let it be usable till it fails a test.I've have 3 regulators fail over time but never a tank that I've taken care of.
    Meh rules are rules I guess.

They make great Firecracker casings.

My local paintball store takes in tanks to recycle them. I've seen tanks that are at the end of their lifespan sell cheap on ebay. Maybe people that fill their own tanks use them on outlaw fields or private property because they wouldn't be regulated.

Big Evil turned one into a huge beer stein.

Quote Originally Posted by cudamelland View Post
    They make great Firecracker casings.
    i had the idea to create a massive smoke grenade for a big game, but then i realized that the size of it would probably make that a felony in some states.

Quote Originally Posted by Dayspring View Post
    Big Evil turned one into a huge beer stein.
    Need pics!

I seem to recall seeing the tanks also cut long ways and used as ashtrays/small part bins/conversation pieces ..

Im not sure I could get around the idea of drinking out of a fiberglass and aluminum cut rim stein but...to reaches own...and it does look cool

Conversation similar to this is going on over on CC (I know, no-mans-land.) If you look it as a per year value, you're really spending between $10-30/year to own a tank (depending on how much the tank costs and your hydro fee.) So an average 68/45 runs $150 new, add 2 hydro tests at $30 each, divide by 15 years and you get $14/year. Even for a Ninja 90/45 with a Pro V2 reg (most expensive tank I could find) and a $50 hydro test and reg rebuild you're still only at $22/year. Really isn't that much compared to what else we spend to play this sport. I have $50-100 masks, $100+ hoppers, $50+ pod packs, $100+ pants, and $150+ gearbags not last 15 years and I treat my stuff to last.

Back on topic of what to do with them after they expire: make a lamp, beer stein, spare parts or change dish, gun stand etc. While they can't legally/safely be used for paintball anymore there are plenty of projects can be done with them.
    I made the mistake of trading for a mag...now I'm trapped
    Cocker, Automag, and Misc Parts FS

dead is dead and after 15 years it is over and sorry to say but there is no recycling of the tank because the carbon fiber is fused to the aluminum and no way to separate this.

old tanks can be used as mugs or cups or decoration and i have seen a lot of different uses for them after the 15 years.

aluminum tanks can be tested and tested and tested and can go forever as long as they pass hydro but the CF is 15 years due to the fibers breaking down over time. keep in mind they have made a lot of aluminum tanks for many many years and Cf tanks are relatively new and more data needs to be gathered before DOT lifts the 15 year life.

Cool... I've got about 9 years before I make 2 68cu Ninja beer steins!
    Stay Classy, AO...
    BEO: RIP / Topgun Paintball: RIP / Old MCB: RIP

If anyone has old tanks I'll take them.

Post your steins! I feel a project coming about!

If I recall, the reason why fiber wrapped tanks "expire" is because the hydro test itself "damages" the fiber.

So there isn't really any getting around the expiration.

I think the tanks would still be good for much lower pressures, so I'm planning to use them as air dusters around the house/garage.
    "Accuracy by aiming."

Definitely not on the A-Team.

Or, fill the tanks, get a palmer tire inflator reg/adapter and keep it in the car for an emergency fill.