Thread: Removing Paint

Removing Paint

I have a rail that has been painted. What is the best way to remove the paint without risking damage to the anno under it?

Cyco-Dude Guest
    i'm in the same boat as you. i plan on using jasco paint stripper (nasty stuff!) when the weather is warmer. i'll let you know how it goes if i remember.

actually, i need to re-read the instructions to make sure it's ok to use on aluminum / anodizing first lol.

Acetone it what ive used in the past with excellent results.

BTW: you managed to put this thread in the BST forum.
    Quote Originally Posted by dano_____ View Post
    I keep forgetting to not feed my mags after midnight so they seem to multiply regularly.

Soak in lacquer thinner, removed the prep paint and hydro dripping without any damage on the ano.

Quote Originally Posted by cougar20th View Post
    Acetone it what ive used in the past with excellent results.

BTW: you managed to put this thread in the BST forum.
    My bad on the placement of the thread. Wasn't thinking. Let's hope a Mod will move it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyco-Dude View Post
    ... i plan on using jasco paint stripper (nasty stuff!) when the weather is warmer. ...
    Don't use paint stripper. It often contains acid which can eat the surface of the anno. You need a solution that is metal friendly. Acetone will soften up the paint in most cases, and won't hurt the metal.
    Except for the Automag in front, its usually the man behind the equipment that counts.

Thanks guys! I bought some 100%acetone at the pharmacy and I've been using that. It's going kinda slow but I'm getting good results.

I just used something called Stripeeze, which is a semi-pink. Aside from being kinda high from using it in my basement, it appears to have peeled off paint and powedercoat without having any effect on annodization.

That said, this is one test on a bunch of pieces I am trying to get down to bare minimum (raw) for prep to anno.