Thread: Anyone into military history? I thought this was pretty cool.

Anyone into military history? I thought this was pretty cool.

Long list of different facts surrounding WW2. I consider myself pretty knowledgable about it but I was kind of surprised at some of em.

Hope it isn't TOO nerdy

http://knowledgeglue.com/44-amazing-...w2-didnt-know/
    Former stickballmovies guy (They're on youtube now). Now a full-time slumlord in Central Ohio.

I wasn't surprised by any of them really. Its all about information and how to get it. You mostly have to dig deep for the original books that where written in the 60's or earlier, because most of today's stuff is rehash of recycled material. Like Japan was on American Soil(the Aluetuan islands), or that there are quite a few uboats sunk in US waters(they aren't listed in wreck sites as you can't dive on War memorials). Its more of disseminating all the material for those facts and then putting them together. Like the Baker tests of our nukes on the Bikini Atoll. We didn't evacuate the people off, as we wanted to see what the effect was. We are a very dirty country...

During WWII, I only had 1 great aunt living in the US. Thank God, since she was the one able to sponsor the rest of the family afterwards. They were among those deemed by Stalin as undesirable, being ethnically German in what was then Yugoslavia...

10 - The other side of my family is Finnish, and there's a lot of them buried in military cemeteries from the Winter War as well as WWII.

The recorded conversation between Hitler and Mannerheim is new to me, fascinating!
    Warp Feed Evangelist
    My Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    During WWII, I only had 1 great aunt living in the US. Thank God, since she was the one able to sponsor the rest of the family afterwards. They were among those deemed by Stalin as undesirable, being ethnically German in what was then Yugoslavia...

10 - The other side of my family is Finnish, and there's a lot of them buried in military cemeteries from the Winter War as well as WWII.

The recorded conversation between Hitler and Mannerheim is new to me, fascinating!
    I didn't listenread that yet. Was early in the morning(i.e. shouldn't have been on the phone surfing the forums), so i will check it out.

But Fred, who says you're still not undesirable? :P

Of course I am. I've read the Constitution and don't want the Government meddling in my life...

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody View Post
    Like the Baker tests of our nukes on the Bikini Atoll. We didn't evacuate the people off, as we wanted to see what the effect was. We are a very dirty country...
    It's pretty clearly documented that we did evacuate the people living there, and they had agreed to do so. Most settled on Rongerik Atoll, and later started to starve from lack of adequate food provision from the US Navy. We already had well documented the effects of nuclear blasts on people from Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    Of course I am. I've read the Constitution and don't want the Government meddling in my life...
    Are you the one that took my tin foil hat ?

Edit: Hey Doug did you read #32 ?
    Last edited by going_home; 02-28-2015 at 10:10 AM.