Thread: The $50 micromag

The $50 micromag

Thanks to fstop's amazing CL search algorithm (or whatever NSA-level system he uses), I was able to pick up a MicroMag yesterday for about $50. See the original post in Automag Finds if you want more details on the acquisition.

This thing was a beast. It had a "custom" two finger trigger (a long machine screw tapped into the base of a single trigger) and custom grip plates made of clear plexiglass. It also had a "custom" finish, which appears to be some kind of semi-hardened black matte material (maybe a really bad powdercoat, or textured metal spray paint) on all the parts, which was then painted over with blue paint on the body itself. When I took it apart, I noticed that some parts (i.e. the face of the body where the rail mounts) were annodized satin black with these bizarre teal/light blue smears every so often. See pictures:

Name:  IMG_2605.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  107.2 KB

Name:  IMG_2609.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  116.6 KB

Name:  IMG_2608.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  112.4 KB

So I stopped by the hardware store this afternoon after dropping the lady off, and grabbed some Stripeeze (sounds like a shady place on the side of a highway) semi-paste paint stripper, gloves and a scrubbing brush. I gently massaged each piece after full disassembly, and the result is below:

Name:  IMG_2610.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  114.0 KB

You can still see some spots where the underlying anno remained.

My plan is to get the valve up and running, and then send this sucker over to SN_Toter (gotta support the startups, especially if they're fellow AOers) for a fresh set of threads, so to speak. Thinking of going with his matte camo wash with silver splash, but would be open to suggestions from the likes of you folks.

A few questions:
    - I think this is a Gen 4 micromag (judging by the taper over the top of the valve), but can anyone confirm?
    - Any thoughts on what the black was? I think it had to be paint with how easy it came off.
    - Did this edition of micromag ship with the benchy frame with no trigger guard?

Update: Thanks to Tuna, I've talked to Forest at PTP. He says it was originally "Wild Tiger." The green faded a lot on the exposed parts to more of a teal blue, but he seems pretty sure of it.
    Last edited by zulubravo44; 02-25-2015 at 12:26 PM. Reason: updated questions

Bring that baby back to life!
    Feedback
    God is good

Wow. What some people do to Automags. I hope the seller has more therapy sessions left on his insurance plan.

Cyco-Dude Guest
    wow, so the paint stripper removed the anodizing??

Wow the paint came off fairly easy. I'm glad you are putting this one back together. Can't wait to see the after pics.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyco-Dude View Post
    wow, so the paint stripper removed the anodizing??
    Yeah, but only where the paint was over the anodizing. I can't really explain it myself, but I have zero experience. The anodizing that wasn't painted over (see in the powerfeed dovetail and along the bottom of the body, as well as where the grip screws go in) were totally fine.

Would powder coating come off with strong paint stripper?

Cyco-Dude Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by zulubravo44 View Post
    Yeah, but only where the paint was over the anodizing. I can't really explain it myself, but I have zero experience. The anodizing that wasn't painted over (see in the powerfeed dovetail and along the bottom of the body, as well as where the grip screws go in) were totally fine.

yeah, i used jasco paint stripper to remove black powder coat from a palmer's brass barrel.

If you want something that works fast on powdercoating use gasket remover from your local auto parts store, it's the best I've found on store shelves and it's inexpensive. Other stuff may work but this works pretty fast in comparison. (I've tried a bunch of stuff )

This is the exact brand I've used, got it at Autozone>>

A little sneak peek of progress so far...

Name:  IMG_6823.JPG
Views: 66
Size:  89.9 KB

A little sneak peek of progress so far...

Name:  IMG_6823.JPG
Views: 66
Size:  89.9 KB
    Oooh. Really liking that so far.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    If you want something that works fast on powdercoating use gasket remover from your local auto parts store, it's the best I've found on store shelves and it's inexpensive. Other stuff may work but this works pretty fast in comparison. (I've tried a bunch of stuff )

This is the exact brand I've used, got it at Autozone>>

Sweet been looking for something to remove powdercoating ,that's one thing I'll never do again to aluminum mag stuff ever.

Thanks to fstop's amazing CL search algorithm (or whatever NSA-level system he uses), I was able to pick up a MicroMag yesterday for about $50. See the original post in Automag Finds if you want more details on the acquisition.
    A link to this algorithm would be nice. I have the hardest time finding stuff on CL. You get an E-Cookie and some brownie points with me if you help me out here.

I am REALLY liking the anno on that! I'm glad this thing is seeing the TLC it deserves. As I sent Zulubravo in a PM

From time to time I find that I have some free time at work. Up until late last year I had a laptop but work recently replaced it with a tablet. On the laptop when I found that I had free time I would do an advanced google search for multiple versions of Automag; (automag, auto mag, minimag, micromag, emag, e-mag, etc) and set the time frame to usually only within the last week and only for craigslist. I would do this once or twice a day when I had time to kill (found some nice bargains). However, I can't seem to access advanced google searches on my tablet. So when I get a few minutes, I just go onto craigslist and do searches under paintball or paint ball in the various areas around my house. Not as effective as the advanced search but then I'm really just killing a few minutes at work. As luck would have it I saw the listing on the first day it was posted. In other words, it was pretty much dumb luck (or persistence) that got me to that thread. After I looked at the "custom" work the guy had done to the marker and after I was done cleaning up the vomit from the screen of my tablet, came to the realization that the micromag might be a little too much work for me (I volunteer at a camp for people with disabilities over the summer and was working on some projects for that, volunteer with building sets and props at my daughters school and was in the middle of a long "honey do list") and thought someone on AO should have this marker and restore it. So there you have it.

In short - I think I just got lucky finding that thread.