Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819 LastLast

Thread: One Legged T-Rex (OLTR)

Test firing

Finally made a test firing video, in case anyone is still following this thread:

Quote Originally Posted by zulubravo44 View Post
    Finally made a test firing video, in case anyone is still following this thread:

That's nice! I need to learn how to properly walk a trigger.

I made a short video when I adjusted my OLTR but I positively suck at walking

Quote Originally Posted by Laku View Post
    That's nice! I need to learn how to properly walk a trigger.

I made a short video when I adjusted my OLTR but I positively suck at walking
    Luke's Ultra Blade trigger made all the difference (and trigger guard room) in the world. I had one of his other triggers in there before and couldn't walk to save my life. I'm still no expert, but it's a whole lot easier than it used to be with the new trigger.

Sweet! Thanks for the video.

Cant wait.
    Luke Custom's is working on my stuff now.

Not that anyone has looked at this thread in a while, but here's another test video of the OLTR firing with an Xvalve and Luke's ultrablade trigger. I've been playing a lot with the pressure on the LPR-FG, and for a while I was having consistent two shot bursts because pressure was slightly too low. It was kinda fun, but now it's back to tuned just about right.

Link here incase embedding doesn't work:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dD6...ature=youtu.be

Thanks for the video.

I'm not expert at walking a trigger but it helps me if I concentrate the top of my fingers tapping against the trigger guard instead of the trigger itself, that way you let the trigger reset properly.

Can I ask what the oltr mod does?

It lightens and shortens the trigger pull which allows you to walk the trigger.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    It lightens and shortens the trigger pull which allows you to walk the trigger.
    To further clarify, it's basically a single drop-in alternative to doing a pneu-mag conversion. You still need a low pressure regulator to provide the low pressure air, but you don't have to mess with the MSV and other little parts. Instead you get one brass box that goes inside the grip, with one airline, that makes your 'mag rip.

It works really well with Luke's mini vert grip (as a true drop-in mod). Other grips (intelli, M86, etc.) require some milling to make it drop-in.

Luke's also makes a foregrip that has an internal regulator that feeds low pressure air directly into the rail, so you get what used to be called a "sleeper" set up without having to hide a small LPR in the grip as well.

Check out http://dev.automags.org/forums/showt...40#post2885740 for some examples of how it's used (the OLTR itself is the little brass box inside the grip in the first picture).

It's been a hot minute since I've been on here... busy with a move and changing up the work arrangement, but I haven't stopped tinkering. I'm just now realizing that the OLTR is rapidly becoming defunct technology... Luke's pace of innovation is almost as fast as Silicon Valley!

Anyway, I got my hands on an SHP a while back and finally got into tuning my OLTR mag in the back yard. I was dropping the pressure and then this happened:

It's pretty cool/fun, since a two turn difference in the pressure on the LPR FG is the difference between insane RT (which is really sustained full auto, I was just squeezing and letting it shoot for a second in the video but it will keep going). It's all back to normal semi-automatic functioning now, but I like knowing that I can dip into this to blast back at the ramping idiots at the big games around here.

The ball break at the end is probably because I just had a short stack of balls and wasn't force-feeding with the rotor anymore.

Very cool. I like to tune them within about 1/4 turn from run away, it makes them very walkable and fast.

There are a bunch of OLTR's out there but I've gotten pretty much no feedback at all (pros or cons) and I've seen no buz about them around the various forums. I'm beginning to wonder if these are actually being fielded and put through the paces?

zulu b, have you tried the Ultrablade trigger with the OLTR? Hands down it's the best trigger to use with the T-rex.

It's pretty cool/fun, since a two turn difference in the pressure on the LPR FG is the difference between insane RT (which is really sustained full auto, I was just squeezing and letting it shoot for a second in the video but it will keep going). It's all back to normal semi-automatic functioning now, but I like knowing that I can dip into this to blast back at the ramping idiots at the big games around here.
    Mine is closer to about 1/2 to 3/4 turn on the LPR FG between shootable and out of control.

There are a bunch of OLTR's out there but I've gotten pretty much no feedback at all (pros or cons) and I've seen no buz about them around the various forums. I'm beginning to wonder if these are actually being fielded and put through the paces?
    Sadly mine has only seen the field for 1 game this year. With the ultrablade even I can somewhat walk the trigger. Most people were shocked when they found out that it was a mechanical gun and not an electro. The few that tried it that can actually walk a trigger mad it rip. My gun is on the winter project list to get anodized and hopefully I will get to the field more next year for non-pump play.
    The user formally known as Lancecst.

I finally got to see a T-Rex up close last week when a fellow magger visited my house for some tech help, and I gotta say I'm very impressed over all.

One question, though. Is it supposed to squeak when you hold down the trigger? I know that a pneumag built with a MSV valve vents when you hold down the trigger, so I'm kinda assuming the squeaking is the same sort of thing. I could hardly notice it at all during rapid fire. But if I fire once and hold down the trigger, there's a definite, high-pitched leak/vent happening somewhere.

The T-Rex is designed to vent the same as the MSV2 and Cheater valves. It allows the internal pressure to be de-gassed so the ram can be reset freely. For all intents and purposes it's a built in QEV.

As far as the squeaking, I've never experienced that, could be that the supply air is just the right pressure for it to whistle or something. I would re-adjust the LPR, my bet is it's WAY to high.

Yep love mine. I have to echo the sweetness of the ultra blade trigger w/ OLTR. I have it waiting for anno.

Luke Really like your work, customer service and ingenuity.

This marker below also has your OLTR and some other handy work by Luke.

rawbutter, the proper way to adjust the LPR is to turn the adjuster screw all the way out until it shuts off the air entirely. Then with the marker aired up, you turn the set screw a little at a time until the marker fires. From there I start adjusting the lpr to find the RT sweet spot, then continue in small increments to fine tune to taste. My bet is the squeak is because he's running 100+ psi out of the LPR, which is completely unnecessary.

barkingspider, I love to see these builds! It's neat to see multiple aftermarket vender's parts come together for something completely custom and one of a kind.

Hey Luke, I've been out of the game for a while and am just recently catching up. Is there a FAQ somewhere that discussed how the oltr t-Rex works? I've always been a pneumag guy so this is quite interesting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I never put anything like that together, this thread probably covers most everything. But feel free to post any questions here.

rawbutter, the proper way to adjust the LPR is to turn the adjuster screw all the way out until it shuts off the air entirely. Then with the marker aired up, you turn the set screw a little at a time until the marker fires. From there I start adjusting the lpr to find the RT sweet spot, then continue in small increments to fine tune to taste. My bet is the squeak is because he's running 100+ psi out of the LPR, which is completely unnecessary.
    I actually did exactly what you described, a couple of times, actually, because I thought I was doing something wrong (even though this wasn't my first pneumag build by far). But it still squeaks. We found the sweat spot where it RTs, and then went a little lower...or higher...I can't remember.

I mean, it still works perfectly fine. I wish I had taken some video. Maybe if he joins me next time I go out, I can capture a sample.

I suppose I would need to hear it myself to determine if the sound is normal or not, it could be the description of the sound were stuck on. lol

The only thing I could suggest at this time would be to cycle a drop or two of oil through it.

zulu b, have you tried the Ultrablade trigger with the OLTR? Hands down it's the best trigger to use with the T-rex.
    Yup, have the ultrablade now and it's a huge upgrade to the other one I had on before it (one of your argos). It rocks at walking, and like BLachance75, it makes up for my lack of ability to do so

I have gotten similar feedback... people's jaws drop when I tell them that the only part of it that has batteries is the hopper. One thing I've noticed is that I probably need to put some teflon tape to get a little extra "stick" on the regulator screw on the LPR. I think over time, it moves a bit and seems to alter the tuning slightly. The OLTR itself has performed flawlessly for me. My build still isn't "done," since I haven't taken it in for ano yet. But it's more than usable, and has seen some field time between pump days.

On the "squeak" mentioned by rawbutter, I get more of a "buzz" when I hold the trigger down. It's definitely the OLTR venting air, and it changes a little bit in terms of how it sounds at different levels of LPR input pressure. Just don't hold the trigger down unless you have it tuned to RT one's face off... it's a waste of gas!

All this OLTR talk makes me want to shoot mine. I'll have to see if I have air in any of my tanks and shoot it a little tomorrow morning before work if I do.

One thing I've noticed is that I probably need to put some teflon tape to get a little extra "stick" on the regulator screw on the LPR. I think over time, it moves a bit and seems to alter the tuning slightly.
    I'll make a note of that. However it doesn't really surprise me because the LPR chugs away like a piston when you hammer on the trigger.

I'll have to see if locktite makes something that would work without giving us any trouble.
    Last edited by luke; 12-14-2016 at 10:17 PM.

I know that my adjustment screw turns pretty easily as well. I haven't shot it enough at one time to know if it will move on its own. Every time I've shot it I've messed around with the LPR due to using different tanks that have different outputs.

Quote Originally Posted by BLachance75 View Post
    All this OLTR talk makes me want to shoot mine. I'll have to see if I have air in any of my tanks and shoot it a little tomorrow morning before work if I do.
    That's the spirit!

One thing I've noticed is that I probably need to put some teflon tape to get a little extra "stick" on the regulator screw on the LPR. I think over time, it moves a bit and seems to alter the tuning slightly.
    I'll make a note of that. However it doesn't really surprise me because the LPR chugs away like a piston when you hammer on the trigger.

I'll have to see if locktite makes something that would work without giving us any trouble.
    I just sent loc-tite an email requesting product information that may help with this, hopefully they make a product that will fit the bill. I've been wanting to check on this for years (lol) mainly for trigger set screws to avoid having to use teflon or a thread lock.

I wonder if it's the purple loc-tite you might be eluding to? I put that on the set screws of the triggers I have. It seems to work well since it prevents movement of the set place, but if you wanted to move it with an allen wrench its no problem to break the seal.