Thread: Plummers tape or Lock tite???

Question Plummers tape or Lock tite???

What fittings method is best? Lock tite or Plummers tape?

I use lock tite, it looks better in my opinion and it doesn't take but a small drop. tape will work its way down the threads as you screw it in if your not carefull. tape is cheaper but the small bottle of lock tite will last a long time.

Cyco-Dude Guest
    i guess you could use both; i've used both. i generally stick to teflon tape though; if you cut it in half it's not visible once the fitting is screwed in.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyco-Dude View Post
    i guess you could use both; i've used both. i generally stick to teflon tape though; if you cut it in half it's not visible once the fitting is screwed in.
    I've never thought about cutting the teflon tape in half, nice...

Quote Originally Posted by vintage View Post
    I use lock tite, it looks better in my opinion and it doesn't take but a small drop. tape will work its way down the threads as you screw it in if your not carefull. tape is cheaper but the small bottle of lock tite will last a long time.
    Like just tab it around the fitting or thick coat it?

I use tape, however, I have always folded the tape in half instead of cutting it. Never liked using locktite, makes changing your setup more labor intensive then its worth.

Quote Originally Posted by Grelvire View Post
    I use tape, however, I have always folded the tape in half instead of cutting it. Never liked using locktite, makes changing your setup more labor intensive then its worth.
    Folding the tape would give it a thicker lair of sealing, nice...

Buddy and I use tape on all our guns. As Grelvire said, loctite is a pain to deal with if you ever need to change anything. I wrap the tape closer to the end of the fitting, normally around 1/4-1/3 of the tapes width ends up coving the opening of the fitting. Cut that off with a razor then install the fitting. Go back with an o-ring/dental pick to clean up any tape left outside. Most of my guns you can't tell if I used taPE or loctite
    I made the mistake of trading for a mag...now I'm trapped
    Cocker, Automag, and Misc Parts FS

Plummers tape once,,, plummers tape forever so be it...

Tape can get inside the valve and cause malfunctions if you're not careful when using it. If you use it at least take the time to clean out all the pieces when you remove a part that was sealed with tape. Teflon tape turns clear when its compressed between the threads, I use a pick and magnifying glass to clean it out of threads, then clean the parts thoroughly before reassembly. If it's a male thread I clean it with a wire wheel on the bench grinder. I use 569 most of the time and only use tape if the Loctite does not seal the threads, I do find on occasion it doesn't work.

Last edited by luke; 03-07-2015 at 10:33 AM.

I use Loctite 569 also.

When loctite is mentioned, most people associate it with thread lock adhesive. Not all loctite products are thread lockers. The types mentioned above for sealing air lines are not a thread locker at all, just a really good thread sealer. I use the high pressure loctite as well. It is much better than tape and you don't risk getting small pieces stuck in your orings. When you take the fittings apart, they just screw apart like normal unglued fittings and you can easily clean the threads.
    Except for the Automag in front, its usually the man behind the equipment that counts.

I use 545 on tight and small fittings and a permatex thread sealing paste on larger looser fittings that I may need to reposition soon after installation.

You guys should use 545 over 569

Loctite 545 Thread Sealant

Top Pick Loctite® 545™ Thread Sealant is a pipe sealant designed for the locking and sealing of metal pipes and fittings. This product is specially formulated to offer high lubricity for easy assembly and removal. Recommended for fine threaded fittings as used in hydraulic and pneumatic installations and small fittings in general. It contains no fillers or particles that could contaminate system fluids, foul valves, or clog fine filters and screens. Suitable for fittings up to 2 in. (50 mm) in diameter including pneumatic and hydraulic fittings. Excellent solvent resistance. ABSSM Approved. CFIA Approved.

Medium thread locker (name brand doesnt matter to me).

Teflon tape only if necessary .

I use white plumbers putty. (I think that's what its called). It is a paste and you can use it instantly. I has the best properties of both the tape and loctite. It comes in jars and tubes and is available all over the place.

I would also say you should always clean the threads, with either sealant. Taking fittings on and off pushes old sealant downstream, so always try to get both threads clean. Adhesives like clean surfaces, tape likes clean surfaces. Adhesives usually like to set. The non hardening type doesn't care so much, but it likes threads that don't have dents.

Tape is handy at the field since it doesn't need to set and is a little more tolerant. It's easier for me to find a piece of tape in a reg or solenoid than a little chunk of old adhesive.

Oops, I posted the wrong picture, it is 545 thread sealer not the 569...

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-TW
    It's easier for me to find a piece of tape in a reg or solenoid than a little chunk of old adhesive.
    My basic logic on using tape over thread sealer

I do carry teflon tape to the field in my tool kit as well as my bottle of thread sealant and a tube of thread locker. The thread lock is for nuisance nuts/screws and not for airline construction. Both sealant and tape have their uses. The loctite sealant I use is 545 which is purple in color. For constuction of an air line that is for long term use, I always use the 545 loctite.

Quote Originally Posted by 2BAD4U View Post
    Like just tab it around the fitting or thick coat it?
    it only takes a small drop, if you put too much you end up wiping it off the outside of your marker.