Thread: ULE Minimag Project

ULE Minimag Project

I love the look and compactness of the classic stock minimag but prefer a low-rise centerfeed, so I've decided to build a ULE minimag. I recently purchased a raw aluminum minimag body that I want to anodize in a matte gray to look like the stock stainless steel bodies. I've never had anything anodized before, though. Does anybody have any recommendations as to who I should send it to?

I intend on keeping the stock frame and rail. But finding an autococker threaded barrel that looks like (or could be sawed off to look like) a minimag barrel has been fruitless thus far. My only other option is to have an existing barrel modified by someone either by milling autococker threads onto a twist-lock minimag barrel or by shaping an uncolored aluminum one-piece autococker barrel on a lathe. And if possible, maybe even bore out the barrel to fit freak inserts as an added bonus. Again, any recommendations?
    Last edited by ghost flanker; 03-07-2015 at 02:31 PM.

lasermygun.com $100 single color up to 10 pieces... contact xmagterror here on automags.org for barrel work...

I may have a barrel for you, ill PM you picks. I picked it up with the similar intention and then my build went a different direction.

I would think just about any cheap straight AC threaded barrel would work. If all else fails, just buy one and cut it. Get it freak bored and you're in business. For something as simple as media blasting it and anodizing it, contact Ronin paintball. He is starting up and may work with you.

Quote Originally Posted by OPBN View Post
    I would think just about any cheap straight AC threaded barrel would work. If all else fails, just buy one and cut it. Get it freak bored and you're in business. For something as simple as media blasting it and anodizing it, contact Ronin paintball. He is starting up and may work with you.
    Finding an aluminum one-piece AC threaded barrel with a straight, plain outer surface like that of a MM barrel has been surprisingly difficult. The barrels I have found look more like these...
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  105.9 KB

They're all weirdly contoured, wavy, curvy, with varying widths, particularly along the back half. The only straight AC barrels I've seen are carbon fiber. I've primarily searched on eBay, though. If you know of any place I can find what I'm looking for, I'd greatly appreciate it.
    Last edited by ghost flanker; 03-07-2015 at 11:06 PM.

Cyco-Dude Guest
    maybe a j&j ceramic, dye boomstick or lapco bigshot? a palmers brass barrel would look the part; 10" non-vented in dust nickel plating...it would just cost you about $120.

hmm...or, you can look for an old j & j hard chrome brass barrel. that would be ok i think...bacci has one.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyco-Dude View Post
    maybe a j&j ceramic, dye boomstick or lapco bigshot? a palmers brass barrel would look the part; 10" non-vented in dust nickel plating...it would just cost you about $120.

hmm...or, you can look for an old j & j hard chrome brass barrel. that would be ok i think...bacci has one.
    Hey, that stainless J&J on Bacci fits the bill pretty darn close. Nice work. Not quite aluminum, but beggars can't be choosers It's by far the most ideal barrel I've yet seen for my project. I may still try to get an aluminum barrel MM/freak-milled in the future, but I'll be snagging that J&J for the time being. Thanks, dude.

Quote Originally Posted by 2BAD4U View Post
    lasermygun.com $100 single color up to 10 pieces... contact xmagterror here on automags.org for barrel work...
    Ano-tech has better prices...

I ended up finding an even more suitable stainless barrel than the J&J on Bacci - got it in today. Lots of cool, weird stuff on that site. Thanks again for the tip, Dude. Still may send a real Minimag barrel to get milled to maintain the whole ULE theme. Xmagterror was the one I bought the ULE body from so I'll most likely go back to him for that. I'll be sure to check out Ano-tech, as well. Thanks, guys.

I'm in a horrible dilemma and it is all Xmagterror's fault. From him, I bought what I thought was a raw ULE minimag body that I intended on anodizing in SS matte gray, but received one in black instead. Just came in the mail today. And here is the result;

Views: 72
Size:  211.3 KB

Dammit! That color looks so good with the rest of the gun. Frigging black beauty. Xmagterror, you ruined everything! I had a very specific, well thought out plan in mind, but now I'm thinking of possibly keeping it black. No, gray. Can't decide! I want both! Ahhh! Worst first world problem EVER!
    Last edited by ghost flanker; 03-28-2015 at 01:07 PM.

Wow that really is sexy. I have a body I planned in anodizing white but black really looks good with that xvalve

This looks really good.

The obvious solution here is to leave this one black and build another to your original plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Levi View Post
    This looks really good.

The obvious solution here is to leave this one black and build another to your original plan.
    Exactly.

You have two hands , you need another gun.

I think I just might...eventually. Those ULE bodies aren't cheap. In the meantime, this shooter will stay as it is.

Quote Originally Posted by going_home View Post
    Exactly.

You have two hands , you need another gun.

I ran out of hands a long time ago.

Views: 76
Size:  172.9 KB

Super sweet. I want 1, but not cheap. Looks Super Sweet...