Thread: How old Automags Evolve. Chronicaling my latest build.

How old Automags Evolve. Chronicaling my latest build.

So this is a unintentional build. Never really planned on it. Just kind of evolved. Started as getting a nice mech loaner style mag.

This old automag became available to me at a good price. So I have my redneck friend (Jim) ship it to me. Agree to buy it over a year ago, paid a few months ago. Received it this week. Perfect loaner gun.

Planned on using it the way I got it as a loaner. But while waiting I decided to change the build from a reassemble it and use it as is to a “let the automag Evolve”.
    So disassemble the Classic mag,

First the pile is parts to be kept,
    Hmmm. What happened here. Not much left.

Now the pile of parts not needed. Maybe sell most of them, Maybe just keep them.

So after visiting the BST here on AO,BEO & contacting Tuna I have this pile of parts to use. Some extras just for good measure. Its all Ryan's fault. If he hadn't sold me the CF MM body I wouldn't have needed all the rest of the parts. VER's been in my paintball dresser for years waiting for something to go on.

Mock up assembly, Damn it forgot the feedneck & detents at home. Knew I was forgetting something.
    Trying to decide Dust black or gloss purple. Which ever I will anodize all the aluminum to match if its not already. If black I still need to get a DW CF barrel.
    Also need to decide VER or M90.
    Still need to make a Titanium sear pin and gather some Titanium or aluminum screws.

Now that the gun has evolved it has become lighter, leaner, faster & meaner.

First observation. Its light but very back heavy.
    The Xvalve weights twice what the M90 does.
    The VER weights about 3/4 what the xvalve does. Probably closer to equal with a battery.

As well as the gun getting lighter my wallet did to. Gathered most of the parts without worrying about keeping a tally of cost until the end. Note to self. DON'T ever look at that column in the spreadsheet again.
    Last edited by cougar20th; 03-13-2015 at 07:59 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by dano_____ View Post
    I keep forgetting to not feed my mags after midnight so they seem to multiply regularly.

I actually really like that purple CF barrel.

Where's the purple X?
    Stay Classy, AO...
    BEO: RIP / Topgun Paintball: RIP / Old MCB: RIP

Quote Originally Posted by zondo View Post
    I actually really like that purple CF barrel.

Where's the purple X?
    Purple X still needs to be assembled & tuned, The black ones ready to go so its in for now.

Maybe you do have something I want

Cyco-Dude Guest
    lol that is not an evolution, that is you taking the rail and building up a totally different automag.

looks freakin sweet man.

Cyco-Dude Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by knownothingmags View Post
    looks freakin sweet man.
    thing has got to be uber-lightweight, too!

Quote Originally Posted by Cyco-Dude View Post
    thing has got to be uber-lightweight, too!
    Thats the goal of the project at this point. It surprised the guys at the local shop how light a mag can be.

Quote Originally Posted by cougar20th View Post
    Thats the goal of the project at this point. It surprised the guys at the local shop how light a mag can be.
    What local shop

Quote Originally Posted by Syko89 View Post
    What local shop
    Paintball Wizard I Tewksbury MA. I grew up down there and its 3 minutes from my work. I still consider it my local shop.
    I wont deal with the shop in Nashua even if its closer to home.

I did a similiar mock up a few years back with one of Warped Mephistos CF bodies, Ver and Ultralight rail. IIRC I was able to ce in at 1.45 total weight including a barrel. I'll have to dig up the thread to confirm but it took control not to hunt for another VER to permanently build it up that way..... Think after I added up the prices I was well over $1000. Of course having $650 in a valve and frame doesn't help...

Quote Originally Posted by OPBN View Post
    I did a similiar mock up a few years back with one of Warped Mephistos CF bodies, Ver and Ultralight rail. IIRC I was able to ce in at 1.45 total weight including a barrel. I'll have to dig up the thread to confirm but it took control not to hunt for another VER to permanently build it up that way..... Think after I added up the prices I was well over $1000. Of course having $650 in a valve and frame doesn't help...
    I think I remember that build. Capped stainless valve if I remember correctly.

That's looking amazing!
    I ended up using a aluminum barrel and forgrip to try and balance out the weight on my CF Body

PS you should def use the M90 and let the VER go

Quote Originally Posted by cougar20th View Post
    I think I remember that build. Capped stainless valve if I remember correctly.
    No was actually an X. I basically took the CF frame off of what was built up as an Ultralight Mag build and out the VER on it. I'll root around for the pics. Most of the marker excepting the VER, which is permanently on my MM2K9, and the X Valve got sold off to fund other stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Mole1119 View Post
    That's looking amazing!
    I ended up using a aluminum barrel and forgrip to try and balance out the weight on my CF Body

PS you should def use the M90 and let the VER go
    Only way that would happen is if the complete gun was sold. Ive been holding onto the new VER for to long (5ish years I believe).

Im really liking the Black Xvalve more. Probably will go with that get a Deadlywind barrel and put the purple valve and barrel away for another project.

I dunno - I kinda think the purple adds a nice bit of contrast.

I like the purple valve but not the barrel but the color combo with valve, asa, forgrip top and bottom, the part that the feedneck screws into and the clamp ring done in purple would break it up nicely.

I am fan of the black and carbon. Its looking really good, looking forward to seeing it finished.
    If i were going to go purple I would:

Black Rail
    Black "Feedneck mount" - (easier resale if needed and more flexible if you want to change it up)
    Black Feedneck, Purple feedneck ring
    Purple Trigger
    Purple Aluminum Barrel Back, CF tip
    Leave fore grip as is, or use different fore grip black asa purple grip

Kind of the reverse of what I did on my Mini M90

Name:  DSC_9703.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  30.1 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Mole1119; 03-20-2015 at 11:32 AM.

cougar- I think it needs one of my purple drop kick type wedges