Thread: painting a chrome frame?

painting a chrome frame?

I have a dye chrome frame and with the gun its being used on it doesnt look good. I know i cannot get it annoed or powder coated, was thinking of using plasti dip til i get a different frame. Will it stick? And will the chrome be ok when i peel it off?

You can powdercoat over the chrome.

Oh cool, i looked on google and the few links i read said it couldnt be done. Thanks luke

I've done all sorts of motorcycle parts that were chromed, I just hit it with 60 grit sand paper on a pneumatic sander, never had a problem...

Cyco-Dude Guest
    i don' know, chromed paintball parts eventually all seem to chip / pit. plasti-dip is not durable enough unless you get the hardener from dip your car, but the frame would be fine. plasti dip peels easily as long as it's built up enough (4-6 coats, depending on the dip you're using). they make duracoat in spray bottles now that could also be an option.

i dunno, i think just use it as-is until you buy what you want, then sell the chrome frame as it is. painting it will lower it's value.

If the chrome is chipping and peeling the powdercoating will not fix it. It's just like any other painting application, if the base is compromised the painted finish will be too. (Also, if the guy that did the powdercoating didn't sand the chrome to give the paint something to bite into, that could cause the powder to fail (chip and peel).

For the record, I do not advise that paintball markers be powdercoated, it's not necessarily a good option over anodizing. It works but it's still paint.

Ceracoating is also an option. Hit up http://www.downrange-designs.com. Jeremy does good work.

Some anodizeders also offer chrome stripping. I send a frame to ATMF and they removed the chrome and anodized it with the rest of the parts.

About how much does that cost though?

I thought stripping chrome would lead to pitting in the aluminum?

You would have to contact ATMF for an exact quote. It wouldn't be cost effective to do one part, but if you had a marker to have anodized, it is possible they would just include it as part of the job. Honestly, she didn't charge me for the stripping as they were sending some other parts in to be done and she just piggy backed it on. Your results may differ.

And I had no issues with pitting. Only blemish on the frame I sent was an unusually deep gouge that would have taken too much material off to fix so it was left.

Quote Originally Posted by magman313 View Post
    I thought stripping chrome would lead to pitting in the aluminum?
    I'm no expert, but pitting would likely be a result of to many amps or too much time in the tank.

Opbn what company is this you speak of? Also do you have contact info? Im really liking the feel of this dye frame if i can get it annoed i will with the rest of my parts, thinking its a keeper. Also thanks guys for all the info really helpful!

ATMF= Ano-Tech Metal Finishing. Use their email contact, I forget the ladies name, but she is very friendly and prompt to reply. Keep in mind, she sent my frame out with a batch she was already sending so was able to piggy back. Your results may vary. I think they do a good job on solid colors. Used them a couple of times now.