Thread: Tank rehydro

Tank rehydro

I've heard two theories regarding tank hydrostatic testing. One saying that as long as the tank passes, it can keep getting rehydro'd. The other stating that the tanks have a life of about 15 years and after that can no longer be used. Anybody have hard proof on which theory is correct? Thanks in advance

Not sure what you consider hard proof but here's some info.

* Fiber wrapped: These are aluminum bottles, that have a fiberglass or carbon fiber wrapped around a aluminum bottle and covered with a epoxy resin. They are much lighter than regular aluminum or steel bottles. These bottles usually need to be tested every 3 years. The Newer ones may be tested every 5 years. They all have a 15 year life span. Drop us a note if you are unsure of a Tank Test Cycle.

* Aluminum bottles: Plain aluminum bottles need to be tested every 5 years and have a unlimited life. A magnet will not stick to aluminum. 3AL will be stamped into the round/top part of the bottle.

* Steel bottles that have 3HT stamped on them, should be tested at least every 3 years and have a life span of 24 years. A magnet will stick to one of these bottles.

If that doesn't work for you just call a hydro testing facility and ask them.
    Last edited by luke; 03-19-2015 at 03:09 PM.

Thanx Luke, that's what I consider hard proof. Gonna have to spend a little money and replace some tanks but it is what it is.

its all regulated by the U.S. Government.

There was some talk of extending the 15 year life of some fibre wrapped tanks. It might be a good idea to check that out.
    Except for the Automag in front, its usually the man behind the equipment that counts.

I checked out the hydro info. It appears that the extension for existing tanks was declined by DOT, but there are new tanks that are available that do meet that new 15 year criteria, plus additional time extension up to 30 years based on inspection and testing. Approval for these new tanks was granted in 2008 and are identified under SP14232.

My tanks are all pre-2008 so I'm probably SOL....

Follow up question, how do I recycle an out of date tank, scrapyard?

Quote Originally Posted by Pudgey51 View Post
    My tanks are all pre-2008 so I'm probably SOL....

Follow up question, how do I recycle an out of date tank, scrapyard?
    I would take the reg off and just pitch it in the garbage personally. That's what I've done with the ones I had. Maybe drill a hole in them to insure some yahoo doesn't pick it up out of the scrapheap and try to resell it to some unsuspecting kid.

Yeah, I just lost 8 eff'n tanks to the born-on-date

Quote Originally Posted by BigEvil View Post
    Yeah, I just lost 8 eff'n tanks to the born-on-date
    I threw away 2-3 myself and have at least one more that IIRC will die in a year or two. The sad part is, that so many of the tanks probably sit unused for the vast majority of the time that I have them since I play pretty infrequently. I'll bet its the same for a lot of players so its not like commercial/Industrial tanks that are being used day in and day out over the span of the 15 years. Its almost like separate standards should be given to PB tanks as they have such low (in comparison) usage.

15 year total life for all fiber paintball cylinders and the 30 years are not in paintball yet, sorry.

as far as recycling sorry but no way to do that so they are trash. destroy the tank and toss it out.

Cyco-Dude Guest
    well...you can recycle 3ht (steel) or 3al (aluminum) tanks, no? or make things from them...oil lamps, wind chimes, lights...lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyco-Dude View Post
    well...you can recycle 3ht (steel) or 3al (aluminum) tanks, no? or make things from them...oil lamps, wind chimes, lights...lol.
    you would think there would be a market to reuse these.

Lamps are a good idea, ashtrays, beer steins(latest craze)

I've seen them used as oil bags on motorcycles.