Thread: reducing goggle glare at night

Question reducing goggle glare at night

l am getting back into playing again and My local field has a friday night special and its a great deal. i have an issue seeing thru a glare on the rental lenses because of their stadium lights.Its almost like staring directly into the sun. I found some used i4s and sly profit mask on craigslist but i cant figure out what lenses to buy.. any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by blazedandconfused; 03-20-2015 at 09:41 AM.

Use clean thermal lenses (like the i4s or the profits will have). Also maybe consider using a mask with a visor, depending on how high the lights are. It may really help.

I guess it goes without saying, but don't get smoke or fade lenses (or the ones with chromatic sheen) for playing at night. I'd stick with pure clear ones, since even the amber or rose lenses reduce visible light transmission (VLT) by at least 10-20% usually.

light yellow is best for low light transmission and glare reduction, at least in driving and trap shooting.

i didnt consider a mask with a visor but itll probably be my best choice if i dont buy the used i4s. i also found some people who were adding black paint or tape to the bottom of the lenses to reduce glare. so the plan is to find some goggles with a visor add a yellow lense and some black tape on the bottom. thanks everyone ill be back with an update

Then you want to look at the E-flex or other Empire/JT masks. They come with the visor.

Now, i prefer yellow lenses for regular play. Even in bright sunlight, you won't notice the yellow & it does bring out everything. For night, straight clear, if i even play at night.

I'd definitely go with clear for night play. You want the maximum amount of light coming into your eye. For glare, you need to reduce the cause. Glare is usually caused by diffraction of the light as it comes through the lense, causing the light to take multiple paths. As the lenses get dirty or scratched, the imperfections cause multiple angles which alter the paths that the light takes. Good quality clean lenses won't have much diffraction because the light only takes one path. Your eyes will also be more affected by a bright source, and that will be the dominant source that will wash out all other sources of light, making the glare issue affect your vision. Glare from an overhead source normally just enters your lense as a point source or reflects off. If you get multiple paths due to scratches or a bad coating on the lense, you need to block the source. If glare is caused by overhead lights, then you need to remove that source from the front of your lense. That can only be done by blocking it by a visor or similar item.

So, get any good head gear with good quality clean lenses and a visor and you should be good to go.
    Except for the Automag in front, its usually the man behind the equipment that counts.