Thread: 1st Gen Micromag needs wings?

1st Gen Micromag needs wings?

So I read on here that a 1st gen micromag needs to have a grip frame with wings to hold the sear pin in, how much truth is there to this? I have a T2W stock that is just asking for a y grip 1st gen to be bolted to it, and I was wondering if any y grips even came with wings? If so I'll be on the market for one, but if the 1st gens don't need a winged frame then I should be good, please let me know if any of you all know. Thanks in advance!

Andrew

Yes it needs wings. No Y grips did not come with them.

Essentially, if the sear pin slides into the side of the body, then you need a grip frame with wings to hold it in place. If it screws into place, then you can use a standard frame without wings.

You can modify your body and pin so that it stays in place. Drill a tiny hole into the bottom of the body to the right or left of the sear slot, but not all the way into the breach area. Drill the hole so that it passes through the sear pin. Drill the same hole into the sear pin with the sear pin in place. Put a pin in the hole once the sear pin is mounted in the body. When you put the grip frame on the body, it will hold the small pin in place and the sear pin can't slide out to the side.
    Except for the Automag in front, its usually the man behind the equipment that counts.

Ok, sounds easy enough, maybe I could tap the sear hole and bore the sear and use a set screw and locktite also?

I wouldn't bore the sear. You could fill the sear pin hole on one side of the body with JB weld or similar filler, and then tap it out with a 10-32 tap. You can then use a 10-32 screw as your sear pin. A 10-32 screw is the same size as a sear pin and will work.

Another option is to make some wings on the grip frame to hold the pin in place. Use the JB weld to make the wings. The wings only need to be at the location where the pin is.

Another simple solution someone posted. Was using wax to keep the sear in place. You can get bee wax or home depot carries decoration putty, a wax like that you apply to the bottom of decorative things so they don't slide.

You could also dip one end of the sear pin in super glue and let it dry. Do this a couple of times until there is some buildup on the end. Once its dry push it in and the end with the super glue buildup will "press fit" in and hold it in place. I have a couple of frames where the trigger pin holes are out of spec and this has worked very well for that issue. There is enough pressure to keep the sear in, but not enough that you can't use a finishing nail or something to knock it back out again.

Both of the replies above are excellent options. To expand on them, you could use regular silicon sealer. Dip one end of the pin in the sealant and press the pin into the body with the sealant end being the trailing end, or put the pin in the frame and dab a bit on the trailing end just before it enters the body.