Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Just got this: what do I have?

Just got this: what do I have?

Hello!

Long story short, a friend/coworker of mine bought a storage unit, and there was a Automat in there. After hitting up MCarter Brown, I got enough info to tell what she had, what it was worth(-ish), and lamented I couldn't offer her a fair price. She asked how much would I offer, and I said $40. She said "$50, but that'll be for all the paintball stuff" (Automap, an older Spider Victor, grav hopper, and a Ricochet feeder).

Sold!

So, here is what I've got:
    http://1drv.ms/1DUaDtl

There's a number on the sides: CF11247. I'm under the impression this isn't stock, but I'm not sure. I'm trying to figure out what parts I might need to get, where I can get manuals, resources, etc., and get ideas of what I can do with this thing for the next time I play paintball (figure I'll let my nieces use my Spider MR100 and GOG eNMey).

I'm very much a noob here!

Just put oil in the asa, screw in the tank, and play !

Get some air in your tank and check if the gun leaks(after you've oiled it of course). Worst case you will need a $20 oring kit.

The classic automag valve will run on co2 but high pressure air(HPA) is highly recommended. Save the co2 tank for the spider.

Search youtube for "Tom Kaye" for everything you need to know about the classic valve.

Nice score on good ole 'mag...and welcome to the forums!
    Last edited by notoriousMAG; 04-06-2015 at 09:26 PM.

Cyco-Dude Guest
    you have an automag with an air america expansion chamber and a j & j hard chrome brass barrel. here is the manual and here is an exploded diagram of the valve. you can get an automag parts kit directly from airgun designs, tunamart (just pm tunaman here), ans gear, ebay occasionally, etc.

I'll be going to HPA, as our field has free HPA refills when you play (covered by field/rental fees, and the fact people with air shoot more paint ). I do have half a mind to see if I can make this sorta stock-class with a tube feed, since as much as I'd like a mag-fed, they're out of the budget right now.

Cyco-Dude Guest
    that would be easy, just go here and buy one of mad custom's feed tube adapters. you just put an elbow on your feedneck, and then put the adapter in the elbow. it will let you use 10-round tubes to feed paint. grab some ronin stock class bracelets and some 10-round tubes and you'll be all set on the cheap!

Quote Originally Posted by Cyco-Dude View Post
    you have an automag with an air america expansion chamber and a j & j hard chrome brass barrel. here is the manual and here is an exploded diagram of the valve. you can get an automag parts kit directly from airgun designs, tunamart (just pm tunaman here), ans gear, ebay occasionally, etc.
    Actually it's a Smart Parts Whispering Death expansion chamber. One of the best ever made for co2.
    Email me for low prices on ALL AGD Products and more. tunaman5@verizon.net
    Tunamart

It says on there it's by Smart Parts and Air America, so maybe both?

In any case well worth the $50. Nice find!

Quote Originally Posted by ScottyBeans View Post

Yes. I stand corrected!

Smart Parts used to market their own custom setups using other companies parts. I used to remember staring at the magazine ads for these Smart Parts mags. They were the best setups on the market at that time. Based on the serial number, I'd say this is a 1993 vintage mag.
    Except for the Automag in front, its usually the man behind the equipment that counts.

NICE old school set up. I call dibs!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BigEvil View Post
    NICE old school set up. I call dibs!!!!
    Dibs on what ?

Well, the bit from the marker to the CO2 expansion thing was leaking air. The o-rings around the barrel were in horrible shape as well - age plus I'm assuming heat must have gotten to them. Should be fun to work on

Cyco-Dude Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottyBeans View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Tunaman View Post
    Yes. I stand corrected!
    well, the expansion chamber says whispering death by air america. the part that says smart parts and air america is the "smart remote". that looks to be a separate asa attached to another expansion chamber for a remote-mounted tank. looks to have everything there; asa to nipple adapter with in-line filter, remote line with slide check...that thing came straight outta the 90's in a time machine, haha!

interesting how the vasa has been milled down to accommodate the whispering death expansion chamber. i've seen some milled like that before and always wondered why they were like that...i guess i know now!

well, the expansion chamber says whispering death by air america. the part that says smart parts and air america is the "smart remote". that looks to be a separate asa attached to another expansion chamber for a remote-mounted tank. looks to have everything there; asa to nipple adapter with in-line filter, remote line with slide check...that thing came straight outta the 90's in a time machine, haha!

interesting how the vasa has been milled down to accommodate the whispering death expansion chamber. i've seen some milled like that before and always wondered why they were like that...i guess i know now!
    Do I need that at all? Not really, right? I plan to use HPA unless I try to make a stock-class configuration, in which case it'd be 12-grams...

If you are going to run HPA, you don't need the expansion chamber. Just run a gas-through front grip. It'll be a bit more compact and lighter.

Update! Gallery here: work in progress right now.
    http://1drv.ms/1Cvq4CC

I got some of the extra accessories off of it, and just installed a new safety. Because, well, safety first! The top part of the safety mechanism didn't quite fit, so I'm contacting the guy I bought it from to see if there's anything a little smaller that'll work.

I was trying to remove the thing the CO2 expansion chamber attached to, but sadly it seems to have rusted in place or something. I can't get the hex-bolt out. Even damaged my tool (it felt like it was moving, but turns out it was just twisting). As such, I might just leave it there for now :/

I figure it'll take a few checks to get everything I want/need. I'm debating turning it into a stock-class marker (12grams and tube-fed), but I'm not entirely sure just yet. I definitely want to clean it up a bit, but am not sure how or to what end.

Looking forward to this!

The front vertical ASA screws are infamous for rusting and "freezing". I've stripped probably a dozen of them. You may have to buy an Easy Out set and remove it if you want it to come off. Where did you get the safety from? Maybe it wasn't for an AGD spec frame?

The 4-40 set screw may not work as the old frames were not tapped for it. They used to just drop the ball and spring in the hole then set the rail down on it. A lot of balls and springs were lost hence the changeover to a tapped hole.

The 4-40 set screw may not work as the old frames were not tapped for it. They used to just drop the ball and spring in the hole then set the rail down on it. A lot of balls and springs were lost hence the changeover to a tapped hole.
    I went ahead and just set the rail down for now. I'm not sure how I'd "tap" the frame. Though, since the vertical air thingie seems to have rusted in place, its been suggested I take it to a machine shop anyhow... I dunno. We'll see. Maybe I can improvise something. Does the screw keep tension on the spring and ball keeping it in? Or does it prevent the spring and ball from falling out accidentally when the marker is disassembled? Knowing why its there will help me figure stuff out.

I haven't looked at the internal assembly yet (can't remember the name of the parts), plan to "soon." I do need to replace the hoses and fittings, since those were leaking when I gassed it up.

Tunaman, do you have a beginner's kit of parts? I keep looking at your site and am afraid I'll order something then figure out I missed something in the middle of working on stuff... :/

Cyco-Dude Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Chikahiro View Post
    I went ahead and just set the rail down for now. I'm not sure how I'd "tap" the frame. Though, since the vertical air thingie seems to have rusted in place, its been suggested I take it to a machine shop anyhow... I dunno. We'll see. Maybe I can improvise something. Does the screw keep tension on the spring and ball keeping it in? Or does it prevent the spring and ball from falling out accidentally when the marker is disassembled? Knowing why its there will help me figure stuff out.

I haven't looked at the internal assembly yet (can't remember the name of the parts), plan to "soon." I do need to replace the hoses and fittings, since those were leaking when I gassed it up.

Tunaman, do you have a beginner's kit of parts? I keep looking at your site and am afraid I'll order something then figure out I missed something in the middle of working on stuff... :/
    you would do it just like tunaman said; once the safety is in (you probably have to take the trigger out to get it in), you just drop the ball in, drop the spring in...and that's it. once it's up against the rail, it's not going anywhere. the newer carbon frames probably weren't tapped at all; you just screwed the setscrew into it and they thread themselves in.

as for the rusted bolt on the vertical asa...i would just leave it as-is. get a gas-through foregrip to screw into it or whatever you like, there are plenty of cheap options out there.

I've got the spring and ball in a prescribed. Was just wondering what role the screw-in played in the general scheme of things.

Minor things to look into later: how to make the gun all pretty again. That rail was hiding some beautiful, untouched metal! Likewise, the handle/grip could really use a good cleaning. I'll do a search for that later on.

I can tap that hole for you if you want...let me know.

Cyco-Dude Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Chikahiro View Post
    I've got the spring and ball in a prescribed. Was just wondering what role the screw-in played in the general scheme of things.

Minor things to look into later: how to make the gun all pretty again. That rail was hiding some beautiful, untouched metal! Likewise, the handle/grip could really use a good cleaning. I'll do a search for that later on.
    it just held the spring and ball in the frame so they didn't fall out. the gun looks fine to me as it sits lol...these things can be pretty old, and have the scars to prove it. these are working guns man, just wash it, rebuild the valve if it needs it and take it to the field and shoot some fools!

I can tap that hole for you if you want...let me know.
    I'll email you, thanks. Might need help making a shopping list

it just held the spring and ball in the frame so they didn't fall out. the gun looks fine to me as it sits lol...these things can be pretty old, and have the scars to prove it. these are working guns man, just wash it, rebuild the valve if it needs it and take it to the field and shoot some fools!
    Erg... I'll probably need to get the bits to rebuild the valve...

Actually it's a Smart Parts Whispering Death expansion chamber. One of the best ever made for co2.
    Hmm... what should I do with it? I'm sort of clueless here. I have zero idea if it even works.

Anyhow - mailing stuff off for tapping. Any other things I should be considering to do with it?

Man. Looking at that mag reminds me of my old mag when I was in JH. (94ish). Feel like I'm looking in the way back time machine.

Question: the parts kit I have had two of the new plastic detents. However, it looks like the barrel washers are smaller than what my mag uses. Do they stretch? Are they for another part of the barrel? Are they flat out for a different barrel?

http://1drv.ms/1DQL3Sb

That said - totally excited to get busy and working on it!

The orings stretch. They are sized to be tight.

Thank you!

I've been told the frame has seen better days, so its old and seemingly well used. Which ain't bad! It does mean I'll need to work on more stuff in time.