Thread: What's the best value for paint these days?

What's the best value for paint these days?

I'm looking for some decent paint to use during a woodsball outing later this month. What options are a good value?

FYI - I prefer paint with consistent sizing and a fairly tough shell since I enjoy causing welts more than leaving paint on my targets... I'm probably looking to buy a case (2,000 rounds).

Valken makes some good paint that is reasonably cheap. Fate I think is what I've been using.

You can laugh if you want but I've been using midnight from Sports Authority.

When I get to the counter I ask them for a 20 percent discount and they always give it.

Under $30 with tax, doesnt shoot too bad, its made by GI.

Best part is I can return unused cases (with receipt) if I'm not going to play for a while.

Cyco-Dude Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by SpyderBoy View Post
    FYI - I prefer paint with consistent sizing and a fairly tough shell since I enjoy causing welts more than leaving paint on my targets...
    i hope this was not a serious comment...

anyway, i would go with valken graffiti.

Quote Originally Posted by going_home View Post
    You can laugh if you want but I've been using midnight from Sports Authority.

When I get to the counter I ask them for a 20 percent discount and they always give it.
    They just give you 20% off?

My local field carries Valken paint and I think it is great and the price is even better! I can get a case of Graffiti for $40 or Redemption for $50. The redemption is top notch, from what I've seen the graffiti is just as consistent but shells are a little more durable.

Quote Originally Posted by Pudgey51 View Post
    They just give you 20% off?
    Because I ask.

I started buying my paint there because of that.

Its considerably better than the GI Rec Sport.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyco-Dude View Post
    i hope this was not a serious comment...
    Haha! It's only 75% serious! LOL.
    Actually, where I play we count bounces as kills so it's more important not to have barrel breaks than to have paint break on impact.

Thanks for all the recommendations guys! I love how willing AO'ers are to share their knowledge/wisdom/opinions.

Oh if its one thing AO'ers have, its opinions.....

Cyco-Dude Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by robertreed711 View Post
    My local field carries Valken paint and I think it is great and the price is even better! I can get a case of Graffiti for $40 or Redemption for $50. The redemption is top notch, from what I've seen the graffiti is just as consistent but shells are a little more durable.
    those are good prices! i don't think the graffiti shell is more durable than the redemption...there seems to be less flashing at the seams on the redemption shells than on the graffiti shells i've noticed. other than that, i haven't noticed much difference.

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderBoy View Post
    Haha! It's only 75% serious! LOL.
    Actually, where I play we count bounces as kills so it's more important not to have barrel breaks than to have paint break on impact.
    you shouldn't be having barrel breaks regardless of paint used...

True... Bolt breaks would be more accurate. I don't have problems with my mags except in rare cases, but my loaner Spyders... And come to think of it that's really not the paint's fault either. Usually an undescended ball get's chopped halfway into the breach.

Oh well, I still figure tough paint is less likely to break in the marker than brittle paint.

Brittle paint and Mags without L10 can make for a rough day, sometimes. I like a reasonably tough paintball for that reason also. I used to be a Marbalizer fan but the quality went in the toilet a few years ago. Now, I am a huge fan of top-end Valken paint. I use Graffiti and Redemption exclusively if I am given a choice. I have found low end Valken paint, anything below Graffiti, to be pretty poor and I avoid it.

I was always under the impression that Redemption was a bit more brittle than Graffiti but haven't noticed a difference in that regard when actually using it. Redemption has better fill and is a better paintball overall, however.

I see that Valken has an Infinity paintball which they claim is the hardest shell... Anyone had any good/bad/indifferent experiences with them?

Just to toss in another vote for Graffiti, my old field had Graffiti for $45 a case. Shot way more consistently than anything else they sold. Few times they sold out of Graffiti and had to buy "better" paint.
    I made the mistake of trading for a mag...now I'm trapped
    Cocker, Automag, and Misc Parts FS

Valken Infinity...I would steer clear of this. I saw some that was hard as marbles and wouldn't break. It hasn't impressed me at all...Valken seems to miss the mark for quality on anything below Graffiti.

Quote Originally Posted by JKR View Post
    Valken Infinity...I would steer clear of this. I saw some that was hard as marbles and wouldn't break. It hasn't impressed me at all...Valken seems to miss the mark for quality on anything below Graffiti.
    Actually, Infinity and some of the "field grade" stuff sold by Valken is what you need to steer clear of. That stuff is not 100% PEG, it leaves a waxy residue, it stains.. just, crap. But everything above that line, including Fate, Graffiti and Redemption (all grades) is really good. At my field we tend to stock Fate and Redemption, and people don't complain at all.