Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting back into paintball

Getting back into paintball

So, I used to be a pretty active member here and this is my first post in quite some time. The reason I am posting is because I feel the itch to play again. Started in 95, quit in 06. I always have been a mag lover. The only paintball equipment I have left is parts of a minimag(almost full) an xvalve, full lvl 10 and various fittings. I want to build a bad ass mag again. I want an electronic trigger. I want to build a mag myself. Therefore I want AO's ideas. Please give suggestions and post pics of cool ideas. I want a sleeper looking, but fast mag and it feels good to be back again.

i lean towards egomag builds or something similar. there are plenty of how to's around the forum be sure to check out hills it was pretty comprehensive.

if you want something more drop in there is always a hyperframe or booyah frame. if you go this route go with a 20 bps board and lighter micro switch it makes a big difference.

i tend to stay away from emags mostly due to the battery and boards. the options are very limited. basically a couple options for batteries all are rechargeable and expensive. only 2 options for boards i believe but with xmod it covers most of the modes that you may want ( i think, not well versed in emags).

if you plan to shoot a bit slower and want a fully mechanical setup there is the pneumag route. basically adding a 2way, lpr and ram inside the frame to trip the sear. there are several options with what to do on that aswell.( custom build, cheater, lukes OLT)

The hardest thing you will have to do is pick the direction you want to go and decide on the amount of money you will exceed. Have fun, do alot of research and welcome back.

Welcome back. Reporting from Tunaball here.

As for the electronic option, you have a couple of ways to go. You do have the afore mentioned Booyah & hyper frames. They are a bolt on option.

You have the Emag, where you need an Emag lentgh rail and lowers. The great thing is of your battery dies, you have the switch that you can still shoot it in mech. No other gun allows you to do so. Emag lowers are around $300. It is building like any other mag, same theory but have a certain heft to them.

You also have the Egomag. In all honesty, you need to do a search on Egomags for more info as i can't explain how to do it, but its all DIY. So of building the gun is what you want, there you go.

You can also have VER & E90 frames, but they are rare. You have better luck finding a live dodo bird, as people rarely will part with them & the price always goes up from the last sale.

If you want a sleeper, there is also the Pneumag. Not a mouse click trigger but you can get a very walkable trigger. You can either find a vert frame(M90 or even mod an Angel 90° frame) and stuff the LPR & pneumatics in there. So you don't see a thing.

Thank you. I want to keep mag looking semi old school too, like stock mini mag body and stock rail. The angel frame sounds quite intriguing and I'm interested. Will I need ult trigger for that?

The egomag is interesting as well. I want something where I go to fields and people are like, "What is that!?.... It sure is fast..."

Honestly anymore it seems like only the old guys even know what a mag is; I've gotten way too many comments about my "Axe". Pretty much anything mag-shaped that isn't a classic RT seems to go unrecognized.

A properly tuned ULE Trigger will yield you great results when paired with a good trigger and some fast fingers. Just don't be a puss and throw a Ninja SHP on it, you can easily walk a ULT with a simple 850 psi output tank if it is tuned correctly and you're not a hack. If it is simply bouncing off your non-moving finger you are a douche and doing nothing to promote the capabilities of yourself or the Automag.

^ that basically summed most of my frustration with the shp and everyone recommending it out of the gate.

while i do have several that rt i rarely play with them because they do. i have both a hyperframe and a egomag and i prefer the egomag because of the sleeper look and board options. but if your looking to put the lpr in the grip frame you will want to go with a pnuemag route.

Ditto. I tried it out, it was awesome but unnecessary. I went back just to a ULT and let my play speak for it's self.

I think the SHP/RT has it's place. Every rec field I play at now allows all firing modes. The kids are on ramping and 3/6 round burst all the time. While I mostly use my pneumag, I'll whip out the RT if the kids are getting out of hand with their new fangled electronic gadgets. And it certainly shows what Mags are capable of. They are capable of out shooting your space gun with 15 y/o tech and no batteries (outside the hopper anyway).

Other than that, I agree. It's mostly a novelty.

Gotta disagree. If you have a ULT properly tuned and can move your fingers, you can pull 11-14 bps all day. That's more than enough to keep up with the ramping (in some cases out shooting them), you should never feel the need to reach for that SHP. If you can't out spray em' out play em' - but don't stoop to their talentless hack level!

Sorry for jacking the thread, I get pretty passionate about this particular topic...

Quote Originally Posted by AGDRetro View Post
    Gotta disagree. If you have a ULT properly tuned and can move your fingers, you can pull 11-14 bps all day. That's more than enough to keep up with the ramping (in some cases out shooting them), you should never feel the need to reach for that SHP. If you can't out spray em' out play em' - but don't stoop to their talentless hack level!

Sorry for jacking the thread, I get pretty passionate about this particular topic...
    We are taking about a variety of builds here anyway. I have a ULT/SHP (950) setup with a single CF frame that I love. With a gravity loader it can shoot a four round burst at 12-14 bps, if I take the time to hunt for it. Otherwise, it's a very nice single shot.

It's not like walking a two finger mech trigger is a highly regarded skill any more. Most pro money is in the electronics.

There's nothing particularly honorable about a two finger trigger to start with. I remember being horrified at the abomination of long triggers, no joke. I'll admit that walking a mech autococker impresses me, but it's not a talent that I would bother to maintain.

Get an Xvalved ULE mech mag, don't add headache's to it like electronics or pneumatics.

Just get a used Axe for an electronic marker, for when that's needed, they are bulletproof like a mag, and inexpensive.

That might rub the kitty's hair the wrong way, but its good advice, unless you like spending time at the field (every time you play) getting your contraption working right.

I want a ego frame. I want electronic for this gun. I plan on making a mech as well. Currently trying to find an old rt for that project. But this mag I want electronic. I don't want a pneumag. I don't want emag lowers either.

I also think it's a bit disrespectful to be labeled as a douche or a puss because I want what I want. I came back here because I always liked this site. I had a mag when I was 13 that I earned. I can fix and build any old mag. I simply want to be pushed in the right direction. I know mags. Been out of the game for a bit. I probably know more about mags than most here. I simply want an e framed, old school looking, warp fed sleeper. That's it....

May look in to a warpless instead of warp fed. That's an option now too.

Ego mags are basically pneumags with electronics on top. Besides the emag, there have been a few fully electric setups. Lukes Customs (Luke) still tinkers with spyder e-frame conversions, I think. P8ntbal4me has worked around the devil-mag/solenoid setup quite a bit, which has always been tricky in a simple frame. Flatliner simply built his own frame to get around the problem of shoe-horning everything in a stock frame. There's still a few hyper-frames about; BigEvil and a few others have learned the tricks to keeping those running. You might search around those guys and frames if you want to build something completely electric.

If you do look at warpless (side) feed, check out Loguzzzzz's interest thread on mounts recently. While warpless setups seem to be practical, you still see full AGD warp setups being built also. That kind of surprised me.

i'd go and play a bit before embarking on a major build.
    "because every vengeful cop with a lesbian daughter, is having a bad day, and looking for someone to blame"

Guess I'm a douchey puss because I spent hours and days of play trying to to tune a ULT to be walkable with little luck. I could fan it pretty quick but never a true walk, so you must be a two fingered God Retro. Hats off to you.

For is mere mortals an SHP can take the guess work out if it and give you a consistent RT ability. I have a ULT combined with an SHP that works well for me. I can Fire quickly with ease and if really necessary let it RT at higher speeds when I feel uber douchey.

Dano____ on MCB had a etek frame for a mag. Probably a long shot but you could check with him.

Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post

Well said.

Quote Originally Posted by OPBN View Post
    Guess I'm a douchey puss because I spent hours and days of play trying to to tune a ULT to be walkable with little luck. I could fan it pretty quick but never a true walk, so you must be a two fingered God Retro. Hats off to you.

For is mere mortals an SHP can take the guess work out if it and give you a consistent RT ability. I have a ULT combined with an SHP that works well for me. I can Fire quickly with ease and if really necessary let it RT at higher speeds when I feel uber douchey.

Again, well said.

I plan on playing. I play ice hockey as well. I understand where you're coming from with the mechs. I had a ult. I understand the work involved. I wasn't calling you names or implying anything. And I never called myself a god. I'd simply like to build this mag the way I want. I plan on having a mech as well. Hats off to you on your finely tuned mag.

Quote Originally Posted by evil1 View Post
    I plan on playing. I play ice hockey as well. I understand where you're coming from with the mechs. I had a ult. I understand the work involved. I wasn't calling you names or implying anything. And I never called myself a god. I'd simply like to build this mag the way I want. I plan on having a mech as well. Hats off to you on your finely tuned mag.
    My comments were directed at AGDRetro not you.

Actually it goes to how well designed the gun is. Not so much the implementation otlf the use, but how one setup can vastly differ from another. Some might adjust the length of the on/off pin, others go ULT and SHP and another a combo of the 2, while a 3rd goes with an ego frame.

There is no one answer except what you want. Find something you like and go for it. It seems like you have an idea of what, not do some legwork & read up about it. You can go play, surely. But researching how and what you will need is better than just using a setup that is limited in your eyes.

Find that ego frame then work your way from there.

Quote Originally Posted by AGDRetro View Post
    A properly tuned ULE Trigger will yield you great results when paired with a good trigger and some fast fingers. Just don't be a puss and throw a Ninja SHP on it, you can easily walk a ULT with a simple 850 psi output tank if it is tuned correctly and you're not a hack. If it is simply bouncing off your non-moving finger you are a douche and doing nothing to promote the capabilities of yourself or the Automag.
    I agree 100%. The only time I can see a use for an SHP'd machinegun is a scenario. If you walk out there with your full auto Mag and use it against renters in walk-on play, then you're part of the problem. Atleast buy a space ***** instead of giving the Automag a bad name.

Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
    1000 x this ^

Awesome thread, I just enjoy reading this stuff, it cracks me up.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody View Post
    Actually it goes to how well designed the gun is. Not so much the implementation otlf the use, but how one setup can vastly differ from another. Some might adjust the length of the on/off pin, others go ULT and SHP and another a combo of the 2, while a 3rd goes with an ego frame.

There is no one answer except what you want. Find something you like and go for it. It seems like you have an idea of what, not do some legwork & read up about it. You can go play, surely. But researching how and what you will need is better than just using a setup that is limited in your eyes.

Find that ego frame then work your way from there.
    That's what I plan on. Thanks for input. I am also now considering mech as well. Alot of nice ult setups here.

Quote Originally Posted by evil1 View Post
    That's what I plan on. Thanks for input. I am also now considering mech as well. Alot of nice ult setups here.
    For what it's worth, I've been shooting a classic valve with a .750 RT on/off and a standard output ninja SL tank for a few months. I have an intelliframe with one of Luke's triggers (highly recommended) with the stops pretty well tuned. I've had numerous people (renters and owners who got into paintball after the Automag era) ask me what I'm shooting and act flabbergasted when I say it's a mech semi from the late 90s (which is mostly true, based on the valve). I even had a ref call me a liar once!

Point is, you get plenty of fire power to play any level of rec/woods/scenario ball out of a well tuned classic valve with the right tweaks and tricks. I see no reason to go the SHP route.

I'm starting to see that too. I will spend the time and money to get an awesome mech set up. They lay down enough firepower. While I'm building my mag, I will play with an old ir3 angel I found in storage that I had forgotten about. Surprisingly, it fired right up after a charge. 9 years later....