Thread: My New Ride!

My New Ride!

For nearly the last 20 years due to being married, having kids etc. etc. while I have made the lions share of the family income somehow I always ended up taking it in the seat when it came to what car I ended up driving on a daily basis because I worked from home. For some reason my ex thought that since she had to drive to work (2 miles) everyday, she should drive the nicer car which always left me with whatever was left. For many years it was a 99 Isuzu Rodeo (which I actually really liked but that's beside the point). After the divorce I ended up with a car that my mother gave me originally intended for my teenage daughter, who I decided needed to learn a life lesson after putting me on the spot when I was still getting back on my feet, a 2006 Honda Civic that for some decided to pretty much fall apart after I took possession of it. So after driving the noisy, paint peeling, AC hardly working, headliner falling down hand me down, I finally decided to go out and get a "new to me" car that I ACTUALLY PICKED OUT AND WANTED!!! So for the first time in a very long time I have a car that I am actually somewhat proud of:

Its a 2013 VW Sportwagen S. Has the 2.5L. I may be adding wheels and tires shortly to make it look a little more sporty, but right now just enjoying turning the AC on high and freezing my butt off!!

TL/DR: I got a new car that I am kinda proud of.

Dude, you picked a station wagon ?

Seriously ?

JK, its nice !

They are great cars. I have the 2013 Passat TDI. Had the 2011...2009... I love 'um.
    Email me for low prices on ALL AGD Products and more. tunaman5@verizon.net
    Tunamart

Quote Originally Posted by going_home View Post
    Dude, you picked a station wagon ?

Seriously ?

JK, its nice !
    Yeah I know I'm totally weird, but I actually wanted the wagon. Kind of a compromise because I can still throw some bags of mulch or bunch of beach stuff for the kids. Going to be hauling around 3 10 year olds for 2 months so having the extra space to put crap is nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Tunaman View Post
    They are great cars. I have the 2013 Passat TDI. Had the 2011...2009... I love 'um.
    I don't think they had any TDIs. Thing is my choices were limited because I did want the wagon. Think there was maybe one other in the area and it was white. Bleh

Picked up another fleet vehicle from my company.

All their fleet vehicles are white, I guess thats ok.

2010 Dodge Caliber SXT.

Pics forthcoming....

I too wanted a wagon. I settled on a Mazda 6. I hate the shortage of choices.

Quote Originally Posted by 1985phenom View Post
    I too wanted a wagon. I settled on a Mazda 6. I hate the shortage of choices.
    I think wagons are a nice compromise. I need something larger than a hatch because I get tired of the kids and dogs having to crawl over the front seats trying to get into the back and its nice to be able to pop the hatch and throw 10-12 bags of mulch, boogie boards, dogs, etc in.

My wife actually wants to look at Mazda 6's when she is up for a new car in 6 years or so. I may check with you to see how yours held up. I'm a Mazda fan myself having had an MX3 back in the day and a CX9 more recently.

Dodge Durango all the way. Seats 7, 7500lbs. towing, 5.8 v8, AWD....

Quote Originally Posted by kfletch View Post
    Dodge Durango all the way. Seats 7, 7500lbs. towing, 5.8 v8, AWD....
    Glad you like yours, but had one and hated it. Had electrical issues, rust issues. Gas mileage was horrendous. Steering column would just randomly lock up and then mysteriously unlock. Only redeeming quality was... actually wasn't one. Engine was extremely noisy as well. Couldn't wait to get rid of that thing. Convinced me to never buy a Chrysler product ever again. The Dodge Avenger I had was the first strike. Won't ever be a third.

that 2.5L is a pretty bullet proof motor, one of the better ones VW has made in a while. sadly, contrary to popular belief, it is not half a gallardo v10, nor is it the NA version of audis 2.5L TSI turbo motor. nope, its a unique to VW in america motor, and its one of there better motors IMO.
    "because every vengeful cop with a lesbian daughter, is having a bad day, and looking for someone to blame"

Wagon FTW!

The 2.5 is a nice engine.

The more important question is... DOES IT HAVE 3 PEDALS?

Warp Feed Evangelist
    My Feedback

I have a 2011 Jetta with the 2.5, I like it. There are things I don't like about the car but overall I'm happy with mine.
    The user formally known as Lancecst.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    Wagon FTW!

Flintstone style.....

Just make sure you are on top of the timing belt and other engine maintenance. They are interference motors. If you throw the timing belt, you will hand grenade the engine.

But its yours. You have to drive it, your opinion is the only one that matters(after the wife, of course).

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    Wagon FTW!

I was looking for a manual, but the selection in my area was pretty low. I remember mention of the transmissions in one of the VW's being a bit unreliable but can remember what gen it was or if it got fixed. I probably should have done more research.

The only transmission issues I recall anything about are the DSG double clutches with tuned (turbo) engines.

I mean if my sister's 2.5l Jetta has lasted like 6-7 years with the 5 speed manual, its gotta be pretty robust.

(my GTI's clutch/6mt is only starting to show signs of age at 130k high boost miles)

Mines the triptronic. I think it may have been on the Beetles. I just remember something said to me once.

Picked up another fleet vehicle from my company.

All their fleet vehicles are white, I guess thats ok.

2010 Dodge Caliber SXT.

Pics forthcoming....

Good looking car. Remember Mobil 1 0W40 or equivalent synthetic oil and timing belt as mentioned be for. All of the VW engines are sludge motors if you don't stay (really stay) up on the maintenance.

Drive it and enjoy it.

Don't the 2.5L VW engines have timing chains instead of belts, I'm pretty sure my 2011 does.

I think you're right actually. Also read up on the "sludge motor" comment and from what I can see its the older engines. My only complaint so far is the gas mileage. While I really didn't like the Honda that this replaced, I am missing the gas mileage a little.... I am averaging only mid 20's at best right now and just getting on it a few times REALLY drops the average quickly. Even babying it around town for a few days only got me in the high 20's. Driving to the beach and back got me up over 30 for about a couple of miles. lol. I do miss the 35-40 MPG the Civic got.

I checked my manual and it does have a chain, the 2.0 and TDI have timing belts. I'm averaging about 28mpg on my 2011 SE.

I have 76000 miles on it and it has been a really great car. I did have a problem with the rear defroster and they had to replace the rear window, it was covers by warranty. Other than the 10k oil changes, tires, and some new headlights I haven't had to do anything. I don't know about yours but I know for the 2011 you have to get wipers from the dealer. The auto parts stores say that Bos h blades will fit but I couldn't get them to fit.

Quote Originally Posted by BLachance75 View Post
    I don't know about yours but I know for the 2011 you have to get wipers from the dealer. The auto parts stores say that Bos h blades will fit but I couldn't get them to fit.
    You are correct the dealer blades are pretty much the only ones that fit. Some of the after market ones fit some don't (box to box really). I couldn't remember off hand if it had a chain or not.

Didnt like it so I sold it.

Keeping the 98 CRV....

Good for you, OPBN!

My wife and I just recently traded our 2011 Honda Odyssey for a 2015 Toyota Sienna...really exciting choices, huh? Anyway, I have been driving a 2007 Honda Fit for 8+ years and have over 180K miles on it. Logic would say we should have traded the Fit in but I drive it back and forth to work mainly and it still runs well so...

My situation on the face of it sounds similar to what you initially described with your ex wife (especially since her work is about 2 miles away and mine is about 26 miles away) but the big difference is that I thought our above arrangement made more sense too.

Best of luck with your new vehicle. Hope you enjoy it!

OPBN,

Your story sounds somewhat familiar to me, but you win. Congrats! I'm glad you got something you like.

My turn to get something new, and I was really close to getting a new 2015 or 2016 (if I wanted to wait) WRX. My wife suggested we should get something with a third row for traveling with the family, carpooling, etc. Sold my 2008 Jeep Patriot. Bought her a 2015 Toyota Highlander. I inherited her 2011 Toyota RAV4. In fairness to my wife, she did tell me to get the WRX, but my family instincts took over. I wanted her to have the newer, safer, easier-to-get-groceries vehicle since she has the kids in the car way more often than me. The RAV4 is quite peppy with the V6, but I miss a manual transmission. RAV4 would have sufficed for a while longer if we hadn't gotten the dang sport appearance package. It came with horrendous run-flats and deleted the rear-mounted spare. Looks a little nicer, but when it came time to put new tires on, I opted for nice conventional Michelins, bought an extra wheel, mounted one of the old run-flats on it, and threw it in the back for a spare. Takes up just enough of the cargo room, that made us go the Highlander route.
    Last of the Salzburg Clan