Thread: Paintball Rumor Mill

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Paintball Rumor Mill

Quote Originally Posted by BigEvil View Post
    Small bore barrels are very overrated right now. The paint all across the board is horrendous.
    So if the rumor mill turns out to be true, and the one large paint manufacturer (GI) buys the other large paint manufacturer (KEE), will the paint quality get better or worse ?

Can the paint even get any worse ?

Field paint like Marballizer used to be the best, now its no better than $30 dollar a box Midnight from Sports Authority.

there is always Nelson.

At some point, the market will dictate improvement. Locally we are seeing it now, with fields switching to different suppliers and brands because of quality issues.

At osg the marbs from canada "rectangular box" where complete crap while the marbs from Korea/Taiwan "square box" were at least usable. I am liking the valken graffiti and redemption and hear good things about gi sports paint line but issue is that for the bigger or busy field valken/GI cant guarantee the volume of paint the fields need. Also the are other financial benefits for going with kee such as discounts on rental equipment, and event sponsorship "give away items"

Quote Originally Posted by vintage View Post
    there is always Nelson.
    Thats a north eastern paint that I've not seen in the deep south.

GI, Kee, and Valken are all I've seen, and the quality is about even across the board, sub par to barely tolerable.....

OK, so back in "the day" (late 90's) you could get good paint but it was always about $75/case. The decent stuff was still $60/case. $30-$40 for a case of paint we see all over nowdays is pretty good pricing. But apparently there's a tradeoff. I remember $30-$40 paint from back in the day being pretty terrible too. About 1/3 of the shots were curveballs. Sometime they even jammed up revvys. Seems like not much has changed since then.

knowing what you know now about current paint, would you be willing to pay $75/case for 1990's marbalizers today?

lets go way back, the only choice at the field i played at in the early 90's was ZAP, it was $70.00 case(i think) of 2500 and breaking in the gun was almost unheard of but you got lots of bounces but accuracy as i remember it was good. the local field has now switched over to Valken and i picked up a half case yesterday to tinker with and i'm going to have to clean it as i noticed some color at the bottom of the bag when i got home. it seems to me nowdays that they can't get the paint to do more than one thing at a time, not break in marker, break on target, or shoot straight. it all hoovers.

If they all break with a drop of 4' I'd pay 55-60.

They are charging 65 for todays marbles....

Hopefully playing next week at a BYOP night.

Im done until after our Myrtle Beach vacation..... Gotta try out the new Shocker

Quote Originally Posted by BigEvil View Post
    Im done until after our Myrtle Beach vacation..... Gotta try out the new Shocker
    You picked one up? 1) That was fast. 2) From who?

Quote Originally Posted by going_home View Post
    So if the rumor mill turns out to be true, and the one large paint manufacturer (GI) buys the other large paint manufacturer (KEE), will the paint quality get better or worse ?

Can the paint even get any worse ?

Field paint like Marballizer used to be the best, now its no better than $30 dollar a box Midnight from Sports Authority.

I just shot 4 cases of marbs at legends 8. Every ball shot well, had good breaks, and no barrel breaks at all. I used my JT Imp, Demonic Cocker, my Angel A1, and level 7 minimag. I noticed the shell change, I liked that dry shell. What other changes were made besides RPS getting sucked into the mega-conglomerate? I normally shoot evil. I don't really pay attention to the politics behind paintball. IT always changes, not necessarily for the good.
    Max Lundqvist's 1 of 2 Angel Joy A1
    DEMONIC Freeflow Cocker No. 4 of 13 My Feedback

I heard that Bob Long uses a grinder to prototype his guns then tries to make them work...

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody View Post
    I heard that Bob Long uses a grinder to prototype his guns then tries to make them work...
    http://www.boblongdirect.com

Phone number on the site.

Call and talk to Zach and clear up the mystery.

Why, i got my info from a credible source. If i were to call, why would they even confirm it?

Marbs are now made in South Korea at the same plant making Valken Graffiti and Valken Redemption paint. I used a case of it in October at Bear Claw Paintball at their Game of Thrones scenario and the Marbs shot better than they had for several years.

Quote Originally Posted by JKR View Post
    Marbs are now made in South Korea at the same plant making Valken Graffiti and Valken Redemption paint. I used a case of it in October at Bear Claw Paintball at their Game of Thrones scenario and the Marbs shot better than they had for several years.
    Used a couple cases of Marbs field paint last month.

$65 dollar a case, worse than $30 a case Midnight from Sports Authority .

i picked up some Valken(graffiti or redemption not sure) and it is so small it barely touches going thru a .684 freak insert. now i'm going to have to get some smaller inserts. i used the .684 at Tunaball

Strange. Graffiti and Redemption have been coming in a solid .684-.685 for me just about every time I use it. The packaging, with the dessicant in each individual bag seems to result in very consistent paint...at least that has been my experience.