Thread: Micromag Valve Disassembly Question...

Micromag Valve Disassembly Question...

I recently just purchased a Micromag(Gen 4). I got it for a good deal because it is leaking out of the barrel(which means power tube oring leak usually).. I owned an automag way back in the day but never really tinkered around with it. I ordered a standard automag/minimag/micromag parts kit.. Anyways, I disassemble it and notice a purple power tube spacer and it has a blue bolt bumper..does this tell me anything about if it has a upgrade done to it(Level 7)? I know nothing about the level kits for these valves so any help is much appreciated... On the automag valve exploded pdf it show a blue bumper as level 7 bumper but i dunno if they all come blue and it shows the power tube spacer just brass....here are some pics of everything disassembled... Also I know you are suppose to replace the bolt spring once it sags below the bolt but does this spring change if there is a level kit installed? my spring inst lower than the bolt but it is smaller than one in the parts kit... pictures show difference.

Thanks in advance,

Luke S.
    Last edited by Lextreme; 05-23-2015 at 07:32 PM.

I know that there are clear bumpers that I have in most of my xvalves, and I have a few with the blue bumpers and most of my classic valve have blue bumpers as well, as for the purple spacer, it's just a spacer that came in a spacer kit, if I'm correct, the colors were used to identify the spacer size

The colored spacers came in aftermarket spacer kits.

Classic automag bumpers are blue.

The bolt spring on the right is worn out. Throw it away. It will cause you to short stroke your mag due to a slower than normal bolt reset.
    Except for the Automag in front, its usually the man behind the equipment that counts.

Cyco-Dude Guest
    the purple powertube spacer is from a ptp kit, and should be replaced with a proper brass spacer (i'm sure plenty of people here could send you a spare for $1 or something).

the ptp spacers are not very accurate nor are they consistent in size. i think i have some blue ones in three different lengths, for example. you really don't know what you have unless you measure it with a pair of calipers.

Awesome guys.. Thank you for all the info...

Quote Originally Posted by Cyco-Dude View Post
    the purple powertube spacer is from a ptp kit, and should be replaced with a proper brass spacer (i'm sure plenty of people here could send you a spare for $1 or something).

the ptp spacers are not very accurate nor are they consistent in size. i think i have some blue ones in three different lengths, for example. you really don't know what you have unless you measure it with a pair of calipers.
    There were other brands as well, I'm pretty sure the ones I have are from Venom, and as far as I can say they work properly.

Don't replace the space, just order a L10 kit. Not only will you get a new space but an anti-chop kit as well. Even though you have a MicroMag, it is just the same as any standard mag valve.

Oh don't worry I will be getting the lvl 10 sooner or later... I really appreciate all the help... I've been watching a lot of videos of how to tune the level 10... And none of them had a purple spacer so I just wanted to make sure I didnt have anything good installed already...

If you do get a level 10 bolt for your micromag, you will probably have to sand down the front lip of the bolt. The micromag breachs were a tighter bore than a regular automag bore. The larger tip diameter or the level 10 bolts can sometimes be a bit tight and cause sticking issues. Once it is sanded down, it is fine.

If the purple spacer works for you now, don't worry about replacing it. It will be fine. If it is causing issues, then decide which course of action to take with respect to a spacer kit or level 10 bolt.

I read this as well... But many said it is the older gen micromags(gen 1-3) that had the tolerance issues but once again I'm just going off of stuff I read not first hand experience... I could be wrong and if it does stick I'll definitely make it work... I will definitely be doing the lvl 10 kit its just a matter of when... If it shoots fine once I rebuild it then I Will probably get the gun anodized first and when it comes back do the lvl10 kit....BTW can not say enough good things about Pro Team Products....I Had a couple questions about the micromag such as availability of vertical asa and Forest At PTP went above and beyond giving me locations to find a ptp VASA and gave me aftermarket alternatives(Luke's Customs).... Also helped me with 1 of my 2 PTP INTRUDER Xchambers that is leaking... Told me to pay for shipping to him and would rebuild it free and ship it back.... Just thought I'd share my excellent customer service experience....