Thread: Sk8ermog Project #7 - Automag Rifle by WALZ (DONE)

Cool Sk8ermog Project #7 - Automag Rifle by WALZ (DONE)

So for a few years I've been thinking about getting a mag-rifle made because I've always thought they were pretty cool. Here are a few of my inspirations:

About a year ago I went to SPEW 3 in Bakersfield, CA with a group of MCB-ers and the amazing WALZ was there. I was able to sit down and chat with him about building a mag-rifle. I told him that my wife was 9months pregnant and I wanted some help making a mag rifle in honor of my son to be. Turns out I had to skip the 2nd day of the pump event because my wife went into labor the next day. Here is a picture of the group from SPEW: (WALZ is the 2nd guy to my left)

This is me:

It took about 11 months of PMs back and forth, WALZ and I finally lock down a time to work on this project. It didn't help that I moved from CA to CO and WALZ had some family thing happen. Regardless, we finally got things lined up, parts were shipped, wood was purchased and things started to take shape.

WALZ blazed the midnight oils and was able to pull everything together in only a few weeks once he got started. Once my friend Hooligan found out that WALZ was making this for me, he made an amazing donation of a Tac spring feed. (Still can't believe he did that. Thanks again buddy.) Also WALZ added a special treat of a brass inlay of my son's name in the front. WALZ continued to tease me with some amazing photos:

After some testing and prying away from WALZ's wife (his words), I got this piece of art in the mail just a few weeks after Eli's first birthday. I unboxed it and put it in my sons hands, even though it will be a few more years before he can shoot it.

The other day it finally stopped raining so I thought it would be a good chance to finally take some good photos of this beauty. I switched out the xvalve for a reactive classic valve w/ aluminum back and I switched out the cage ASA for a CP one. I also put a forgrip handle and WWA Freak barrel w/ AA tip and Lapco "Raincover" to give it that awesome tactical look. So here it is in all it's glory.

Eli still loves it:

My only question is, do I list this in the "Open" or "Classic" in the MOTM? Thoughts?

If you like this project then check out my other ones:

Sk8ermog Projects:

Project #1: HH Mag
    Project #2: Gas Through Grip Frame (DONE)
    Project #3: Angel Mag (DONE)
    Project #4: Square Mag (DONE)
    Project #5: Hawaiian Mag (DONE)
    Project #6: MicroEmag
    Project #7: Mag Rifle (DONE)
    Project #8: NanoMag
    Project #9: Double Barrel Mag
    Project #10: Coming Soon...
    Last edited by Sk8ermog; 03-08-2019 at 02:58 AM.

Congrats. Guess this was different for Walz as he normally makes heavy guns even heavier with the layers and layers of brass.

I would put it in classic, even with the body, and leave it up to mspb to move it appropriately.

Open, of course.

The Xvalve and Tac One body.....

That's pretty cool, one of the nicer ones I've seen.

but its not blue

going_home: I switched out the valve and it has a classic valve now. Still think Open Class is best?

vintage: I originally asked WALZ to make the stock blue but we went a different way .
    Last edited by Sk8ermog; 06-07-2015 at 12:01 AM.

I have seen ule bodies and intelliframes in classic, so why not this. Either there is no "checking" or he expects the people to categorize them and trusts people to follow the rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Sk8ermog View Post
    going_home: I switched out the valve and it has a classic valve now. Still think Open Class is best?

http://www.pbnation.com/reviews/prod...ns_usa_tac-one

Tac One released in 2004.

Why not message Mendel and see what he thinks ?

Or take a poll and see what AO enthusiasts think ?

Or just put it in the category you want.

The gun is amazing , your property is beautiful

Very nice

I'd love to see this with a first strike feed tube attached, somehow.
    Feedback
    God is good

Definitely has to be the best mag rifle I've seen. Love the tactical look to it.
    I made the mistake of trading for a mag...now I'm trapped
    Cocker, Automag, and Misc Parts FS