Thread: AGDJon (Jon Comprado - formerly of AGD) in serious bicycle accident

AGDJon (Jon Comprado - formerly of AGD) in serious bicycle accident

Taken from his Facebook page. Let's all wish him well as he recovers.

I wanted to pass this word on, hoping it can save at least one person from injury or worse.

We all know that distracted driving is very dangerous (texting, surfing, etc with your mobile phone). We also know that cyclists are in more danger in today's age due to the use of cell phones (albeit handsfree) while driving.

What I wanted to let you all know was the potential danger from cyclists using cradles / docks to hold their mobile devices on bicycles.

While you may think this is not considered "actively" using it, think about it when the cradle jumps from the mount or the phone jumps out of the cradle.

I am not here to criticize or condone any product as I believe I have made my choice (ditching the item on the bicycle and installing the one from my motorcycle)
    There is a market of products out there telling us that their product will securely hold your cell phone while you ride. My recommendation is to spend the money on a quality product. Even the item I had was from a reputable manufacturer which I am now seriously doubting for this particular cradle.

On Wednesday, June 3rd, I was involved in a severe bicycle accident. The accident was self caused. I don't remember much of the actual traumatic event, but here is what I was able to piece together before the incident.
    I have been an avid cyclist for years and don't consider myself inexperienced. I have also been riding a motorcycle for several years.

I was riding my bicycle on a paved path when my phone started to flop around on its cradle. Instinctively, because on a motorcycle, the right hand controls the front brake, I used my right hand to hold the phone down. because my speed was slowly increasing, I grabbed my brake with my left. I don't know how much pressure I put down on the lever, but when I was regaining consciousness, the only thing that I can relate as to the entire experience was from the video game Call of Duty Modern Warfare (I believe that was the game). The scene was from when the nuke went off and the helicopter crashed. The soldier climbed out, clinging to life trying to get someplace. The vision was blurry with moments of clarity and moments of darkness. I was trying to regain my breath because the wind was knocked out of me. I was spitting out blood and felt that I was missing teeth.

I knew of a man and a woman who were there trying to help me. I remember someone ( I think it was the man) asking if I needed an ambulance. I am unsure if I said wait or not, but my mind was racing with thoughts, "where is my teeth for the dentist to put back and where is my cell phone so I can get a hold of my wife." After a second, I realized of the severity of my accident and said yes.

All this time I tried to move, but the body was not letting me. I was barely up on my arms, but was advised to stay down and still so I remained in that position. I could hear voices, a car honking because, I guess, the volunteers were from the street and stopped their cars to help me. I saw my phone drop to the center of my bike by the lady. I grabbed it quickly, hit the emergency dialer for my wife, and just handed the phone in the air towards the woman. I believe she understood what I was trying to do as she took my phone and began speaking to my wife (I don't know what happened in that conversation).

Eventually, the police and paramedics came (I don't know how long it took but it seemed quick). I remember the paramedics speaking to me but I don't remember the conversation.

I barely remember getting inside the ambulance, but before I was put in, I remember hearing the police officer telling someone (I am assuming my wife over the phone) that he was going to take the bicycle to the Bloomingdale Police Department. I know I went for a ride, but was not coherent.

I remember getting into the hospital room, but not the trip from the ambulance into the hospital.

I remember the pain of the needles being put into my mouth to dull my senses while the ER doctor was searching for broken fragments of teeth in my mouth.

I had multiple x-rays. I remember the difficulty of swallowing and the ER doctor said I was being admitted.

I had oral surgery the next day and had 56 stitches done in my mouth. I was also missing 2 teeth.

I was in the hospital from Wednesday night to Friday morning.

I know, from my recent visit with the surgeon, that my oral lacerations were quite severe and that he was able to see my chin bone just by peeling my mouth down. He said I was lucky. I could have easily snapped my jaw or broke my neck.

I am still awaiting future appointments to get myself fixed up.

My bicycle season has been seriously shortened. I had my annual Le Tour De Shore ride coming up on the 19th and 20th of June, which I have decided not to do this year based on medical and familial recommendations (this would have been my 5th year straight if I attended)
    While I can get on the motorcycle, I don't feel right, until I fully heal so my riding season on this has been cut a little short as well.

I have to be more cautious around the sun (I can't even put my top down in the Miata on nice days) until I fully heal.

Moral of the story: don't mess with your cell phone while on a bicycle, even it is was just to keep it in place.

I would like to offer my sincerest thanks to the following people:
    the man and woman who stopped to see if I was ok, call 911, and call my wife.
    The police officer from the Bloomingdale Police Department for coming and taking my bicycle to the station for safe keeping
    The paramedics that came to help me
    The ER and medical staff of Adventist Glen Oaks hospital.

Hey Nick do you have any valid contact info for Jon? Shoot me an email. I have to call that Master Wang up!
    Email me for low prices on ALL AGD Products and more. tunaman5@verizon.net
    Tunamart

Quote Originally Posted by Tunaman View Post
    Hey Nick do you have any valid contact info for Jon? Shoot me an email. I have to call that Master Wang up!
    I do - check PMs & your email.

Hope you get better, brother!

A Miata? Seriously?

Get better quick, brother. And this time, actually do what your wife tells you

I talked with him via text yesterday. He's in good spirits - but still in pain. Has some trouble eating (though the upside is he's losing weight).

Give Jon my best.

Uhg.. I do not know Jon, but from one cyclist to another.. I wish Jon a speedy recovery. Let us all remember the importance of a helmet, and let's all be grateful that he doesn't have a head injury. Hang in there, and here's to getting back in the saddle as soon as you can. Cheers.

Wishing you well, i am also a cyclist and i admit to being distracted at times. Healing from injury takes time so be patient and wish you the best!
    BPS - Baller's Pro Shop - ballersproshop@hotmail.com
    • "Hellspawn" WDP Angel LED 99
    • "Foxwood" WGP Autococker Bob Long Ironmen RF 97
    • "Kenobi" WGP Autococker E-Blade blue VF 2k2
    • "Raider Nation" AGD AutoMag CF ULE Hyperframe LX Hurricane
    • "Gray Ghost" AGD ReTro Mag CF High Rise LX

Total Freak - Tips: 12" AA black, 10" Boomstick black
    Bidness with Dover - Feedback