Thread: Build nearing completion, but I have a question

Build nearing completion, but I have a question

Hello everyone,

Xvalve Mech mag build is almost complete, but I have a question.

I already posted in the "Sticky: GUIDE Loctite applications" thread several weeks back, but I don't think anyone saw it.

Does anyone have any experience combining Blue loctite (242) with Purple loctite (545) when installing macroline fittings? I will be installing CCM macroline fittings into my valve and ASA in a coupe days, and I was thinking about putting a drop of both blue and purple loctite on the threads? The purple as a sealant and the blue as further sealant and also to help hold the threads in place. Any thoughts or experience?

Thanks!

why, if you ever need to take them off that is going to be a pain to take off. might bust your fittings or damage the valve. Just use couple 2-4 turns of Teflon tape, works just fine and wont have to worry about having to break it loose.

You don't need to add thread locker to fittings. They are pipe threaded, so the fitting tightens as it goes farther in. You only need the sealer to make sure all the threads seal air incase there are any gaps between the metal threads.
    Except for the Automag in front, its usually the man behind the equipment that counts.

Cyco-Dude Guest
    use the purple thread sealer on the ccm posts; use blue loctite on the screw that holds the body onto the post. that will keep the screw from loosening (and leaking) when you don't want it to.

teflon tape and blue loctite on the post would also work fine though. but you may as well use the 545 since you have it.

My first thought was Teflon tape, but I've read several times and for numerous people that Teflon tape isn't a good choice with Mags because if a small piece eventually frays off, it can get into the valve and cause all sorts of annoying problems....

If tape concerns you, they make a Teflon paste. It's what new fittings come with on their threads.

Cyco-Dude Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by carnutaz View Post
    My first thought was Teflon tape, but I've read several times and for numerous people that Teflon tape isn't a good choice with Mags because if a small piece eventually frays off, it can get into the valve and cause all sorts of annoying problems....
    well, i guess don't do a sloppy job wrapping it and you'll be fine? i've had no issues so far. just make sure you only wrap the threads, and wrap in the correct direction so the teflon tape doesn't unravel as you screw the fitting in. any debris would be caught in the valve pin spring.

but anyways, just 545 and you'll be good. i think it needs to cure for 24 hours though. that's one thing teflon tape is good for; it works NOW lol.