Thread: When you're out of air and you just do it!!!

When you're out of air and you just do it!!!

So I was watching a new paintball video by YouTuber, thewolfsden. In it, he sorta of pats himself on the back for continuing to play in a game even though his gun malfunctioned and began hemorrhaging air. He shoots until he runs completely empty and then walks off the field. The video ends with a caption that reads, "never leave til you have to."

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gWpqojbc67w

All I could think was, "Don't call yourself out! What are you doing? The other team doesn't know your gun is down. Stay in the game and do what you can. Point your dead gun at opponents to keep their heads down. Create a diversion to help your teammates. Bunker opponents into surrendering if you can get close enough. Occupy the last bunker standing between your flag and the other team to make them think twice about advancing so you can run down the clock before they figure it out."

I've done all of these at one time or another in this situation. Though it always sucks when your equipment malfunctions or you simply run out of air or paint in the middle of a game, continuing to play with a dead gun is actually quite fun. There's a sort of desperation to it like you've got nothing else left to lose. You take risks that you wouldn't normally attempt. With such a handicap, it almost becomes a whole new game in seeing what you can accomplish and how much you can get away with through deception and cunning. And even if it doesn't work out, it always makes for a good story at the end of the day.

So am I being too hard on thewolfsden? What do you guys do when your gun decides to suddenly become a prop mid-game?

well, you could stay low and call out enemy positions, you could wait for one of your players gets tagged out and use their gun, you could try to move up and barrel tag someone not paying attention or dead man walk them.

Nope. He is an idiot with an audience.

In speedball, from what i was taught, if your gun doesn't work, then you go for the flag and give paint to people still in.

In woodsball or rec, the necessity isn't there. In walkon, that kind of attitude is too much for winning nothing.

Dye Dam, nuff said.

Yeah, a little bit of fail on his part. I have had situations though where I was so annoyed at a marker breaking paint or not working properly that I walked off the field to sit in the chrono area for an hour or more trying to figure out why it wasn't working (cough cough TunaBall cough cough) but yeah normally if I am in a rec play game I would stay in and try to lead or at least call out positions.

I was chastised hard for doing that the one and only time I did it. It amounted to me forfeiting the snake side tape. We lost inside of a minute later.

My general rule is always stay in to help your team in anyway possible. Now, once your team is gone and your the last guy....
    if its a flag game go get flag
    if its a timed game and you know how much time is left and can stall it to a tie, do that
    if its a elimination only game then i'd call myself out. No point in getting jacked up for no reason.

In an recball elimination game where I ran out of air and was the last of my team against 4 opponents, I literally threw a handful of paintballs at this one guy I ran up on. I was like, "what the hell, it's the last game of the day." I don't think any actually broke but he dove for cover while I booked it around some bunkers. Came up on another opposing team member (who happened to be my good friend), pointed my dead gun at him and yelled for his surrender (which apparently he never does), he shoots and hits my gun square on the top of the foregrip at point blank range (gun hits didn't count). The refs prematurely ended the game right then thinking I'd been hit. Yeah, it was pretty much over anyway, but I had a great time running around like an idiot, and I didn't even get shot

Had a situation similar to this. 5 v 5 Xball practice, teammates gun some how dumps his entire tank by the time he makes it to his first bunker. Stays in it, called out positions and pointing his gun at people. Gets down to me and him left, 1 enemy left in Snake 1. I got to the Center A to take him out but he shoots me out when I snap to get him, don't know how he knew I was there (no sideline coaching.) Teammate hunkers down, snags the flag and runs it in without the enemy player even realizing he was still alive. Was awesome haha
    I made the mistake of trading for a mag...now I'm trapped
    Cocker, Automag, and Misc Parts FS

One of my best plays ever was without ammo. The team captain called for the last four of us to pop up and go for our opposite bunkers, all on the count of three. I left on two, up the middle, shooting air. Four of the opposition turned and shot at me, right as my three team mates came up and rolled the bunch of them. That was fun.

I've run right up the center of the field with my gun not working during a tournament to draw fire so that my team mates could advance. I actually made it to the bunker in front of the flag station and drew alot of enemy fire while I was there. It helped my guys do their thing.

I saw a friend of mine win a tournament game without firing a shot against the two opponents. He was the last guy left on his team against two opponents. They had him pinned not knowing he couldn't shoot back. Both ducked to reload and he took off up the field between them and grabbed the flag and hung it. They came back out to start shooting and the horn blew ending the game. Their puzzled looks were priceless. It was in the final round. His team ended up winning the tournament and the team he beat didn't place, all because of that game.

I used to fake having a gun or hopper malfunction when playing X-ball, just to draw an opponent out, if we were down a man or two. His sideline coaches would yell that it was safe to go and the player would advance. I would be watching for it and then snap shoot him.
    Except for the Automag in front, its usually the man behind the equipment that counts.

Quote Originally Posted by going_home View Post
    Dye Dam, nuff said.
    Please explain...
    Feedback
    God is good

Quote Originally Posted by G Squat View Post
    Please explain...
    11 o rings on just the bolt alone, so many they have to color code them, need I go further ?

That's one damn complicated DAM bolt. And if you don't keep all the DAM orings on it clean and well lubed, then your DAM marker won't shoot worth a damn.

What an appropriate name for a gun that must be a maintenance nightmare.
    Last edited by ghost flanker; 06-17-2015 at 09:25 PM.

I got a wild hair up my butt one day using my micromag. I ran out of paint, so I bummed a pod from a somewhat reluctant teammate. The first 3 shots went into the lower window of the 2-story building where the last 2 players were holed up, and they just rolled out of the barrel after that. I low crawled the entire perimeter while my team was keeping their attention, snuck into the building, and got them both to surrender.

It really depends on the game if I stay in after a gun malfunction.

Speedball - Always stay in, Until your hit your still a asset to your team

Woods/Rec - Depends on the game and if me staying will be a asset or not.

I remember the 2nd? Reaperball game. We were at OSG on the BYOP day. Teams were 50? vs 50? on a village field that would usually be a 15 on 15. I was using the E90 prototype at the time. Ran out of air very early on. Im the only one on the side of the field?? WTH everyone else when to the right or center. What to do. The ref watched me put the gun down out of the way and proceed to just make sure the other team knew I was there. Stuck my head out. Get shot at. Repeat many many times. They wasted a huge amount of paint. Especially because me being there bottle-necked 15 players. Ref was just watching in disbelief. Once someone did finally get that group organized I did call myself out. Several of those players were pissed when they watched me go back to get my gun. So I was a asset to the team even without the use of my gun. I kept the focus of alot of player on me while my teammates took care of the others and eventually won the game. I believe if I hadn't been there those players I held there would have come down that side and shot out alot of my team.
    Quote Originally Posted by dano_____ View Post
    I keep forgetting to not feed my mags after midnight so they seem to multiply regularly.

Quote Originally Posted by cougar20th View Post
    It really depends on the game if I stay in after a gun malfunction.

Speedball - Always stay in, Until your hit your still a asset to your team

Woods/Rec - Depends on the game and if me staying will be a asset or not.

I remember the 2nd? Reaperball game. We were at OSG on the BYOP day. Teams were 50? vs 50? on a village field that would usually be a 15 on 15. I was using the E90 prototype at the time. Ran out of air very early on. Im the only one on the side of the field?? WTH everyone else when to the right or center. What to do. The ref watched me put the gun down out of the way and proceed to just make sure the other team knew I was there. Stuck my head out. Get shot at. Repeat many many times. They wasted a huge amount of paint. Especially because me being there bottle-necked 15 players. Ref was just watching in disbelief. Once someone did finally get that group organized I did call myself out. Several of those players were pissed when they watched me go back to get my gun. So I was a asset to the team even without the use of my gun. I kept the focus of alot of player on me while my teammates took care of the others and eventually won the game. I believe if I hadn't been there those players I held there would have come down that side and shot out alot of my team.
    And it can be fun watching ropes of paint run overhead, knowing the 20th shot wasn't any better than the first. It's like a duty to stay on the field and educate and abuse the people that think they are going to "lane" you and your bunker while you keep them occupied.

Do it all the time during scenario play....

I captured another flag sans working gun last weekend.

We were playing a game on a rec ball course that was twice as wide as it was deep with the flag in center field. I worked my way around the left side until I was inside the enemy's home bunker taking out mofos from behind. That's when it happened... my elbow slipped off my mag's power feed, causing my Rotor to hit the ground and break paint inside, jamming up the Rotor for the duration of the game. Perfect shooting position with a dead hopper. Of course! I suppose I could've hand fed individual paintballs into my mag, but there was only a couple minutes left in the game and a considerable fire fight going on around the flag back up the field. I set down my gear, doffed my pod belt and snuck my way over to the action. The flag was in a sort of no man's land with my team mates on one side exchanging fire with opposing players on the other. This is the type of situation where the thought, "f**k it", comes in handy. After yelling for my stationary comrades to cover me, I hopped over our bunker, grabbed the flag and managed to sprint all the way back to the enemy home base for the win.

Play of the day, me thinks.
    Last edited by ghost flanker; 09-05-2015 at 02:48 PM.

How much ibuprofen did that cost you ?

Quote Originally Posted by going_home View Post
    How much ibuprofen did that cost you ?
    Ibuprofen? Not sure if I follow. Sounds like you might be thinking I'm older than I really am.

My mistake....

No worries. My days with a bad back and worse knees will come soon enough.