Thread: Grease on springpack, which type, what does it do?

Grease on springpack, which type, what does it do?

What does the grease accomplish on the springpack? Can I get it at Home Depot?

I was told to use white lithium grease. Should find it at a home depot or lowe's or ace.

You want to keep it lubricated so that it can react to the pressure input, but to my knowledge, you only need to do it so often. Every couple of years or if it appears to be dry.

I think the grase is mainly there to keep it from rusting.

Lube and I've seen valves with the spring packs rusted, so that's definitely the problem too.

I've always used anti seize.

The spring washers are carbon steel, so they like to rust. Add to that when we used CO2, that cavity would condense water continually while playing. Something goopy and water resistant; that's where the bearing/lithium grease use came from.

There are some that come out so black and dirty, you don't know what was on there, but at least it kept the pack safe.

As long as you can keep the spring pack wet with anything that will prevent the springs from rusting, and without interferring with the operation, it should work fine. The grease is used instead of the light lubricant because it sticks better and doesn't evaporate. White lithium grease works over a wider range of temperatures and conditions without gumming up which is why it was suggested for use. If you do regular maintenance, any good grease should work fine. The moly grease that is used in CV joints would be good to use. That stuff sticks to everything and is a great lubricant, plus it is really thin so it doesn't interfere with the operation. Moly grease is used in may applications where metal to metal contact is made and the user needs smooth sliding without adding much surface thickness.
    Except for the Automag in front, its usually the man behind the equipment that counts.

Presently using Superlube grease on my spring packs. It is a synthetic grease that is odorless, colorless and non-toxic. Seems to do a good job staying put.

Lucky for me, Home Depot only sells one type of lithium grease, so it was an easy choice.

I have recently lubed mine when I took the valve apart to work on a few things. I used Hater Sauce which was nice and sticky (I think it's just DOW 33 or 66 with green dye).

I use garage door opener grease......

Walker
    O.F.P.P.A. - OLD FARTS PAINTBALL PLAYERS ASSOCIATION
    When you wrap-up the day with beer and Bengay.