Thread: spyder related. NOT automag related. spyder won't recock after being shot.

spyder related. NOT automag related. spyder won't recock after being shot.

First this is not automag related so move to a different forum if need be.

Now. A coworker has dropped an old spyder in my lap to fix. Even though I claim to know minimal about the markers. Anyways. Its an old spyder avenger. I stuck an 850psi crossfire on the marker with 3k in the bottle. No air leaks at all. Cocked the marker and shot. No leaks. No farts. No full auto bounce like its low on air. It just shot and stayed in the dead posistion. Figured I'd ask you fine people before I break it down. Figure lot of you have messed with more spyders than me over the years.

Did the bolt/hammer return at all? Sounds like maybe the sear or hammer is worn or broke to the point its not catching.

Change the striker oring. Common Spyder problem.

Quote Originally Posted by BigEvil View Post
    Change the striker oring. Common Spyder problem.
    yup

also maybe take the valve out and give it a nice cleaning, sometimes the blowback hole can get plugged.
    "because every vengeful cop with a lesbian daughter, is having a bad day, and looking for someone to blame"

Dbogs. No. It literally goes forward and stops.

BigE and cocker punk. I will do all of the above. I figured an Oring issue would also have a leak involved. But I do realise that isn't the case depending on airflow and other Orings.

I will say I'm guessing anything related to lots of use is not the issue. This marker has lived most its life in a closet with a quarter case shot thru it hit and miss by someone that "wanted" to play paintball. And I'm also betting my crossfire tank is the first time this marker has seen HPA instead of CO2.

Quote Originally Posted by blackdeath1k View Post
    Dbogs. No. It literally goes forward and stops.

BigE and cocker punk. I will do all of the above. I figured an Oring issue would also have a leak involved. But I do realise that isn't the case depending on airflow and other Orings.

I will say I'm guessing anything related to lots of use is not the issue. This marker has lived most its life in a closet with a quarter case shot thru it hit and miss by someone that "wanted" to play paintball. And I'm also betting my crossfire tank is the first time this marker has seen HPA instead of CO2.
    The striker oring is there to seal the striker to the body until the oring passes a exhaust port. You will never perceive a leak there. Its the first thing to replace after you have checked that you have air. Also make sure your tank is 800ish output. Some stock spyders do not like less.
    Quote Originally Posted by dano_____ View Post
    I keep forgetting to not feed my mags after midnight so they seem to multiply regularly.

850psi output on a gauge. Its my wife's tank for her RT.

Yes, check the poppet/stryker oring. Also check the spring that propels the bolt forward. If it is weak or worn, it won't propel the bolt and hammer forward with enough force to open the valve properly. Also, check that the passageways are clean and clear so that nothing interferes with the smooth movement of the bolt and hammer.

It shoots air, but does it actually have enough air flow to fire a ball and return the hammer/bolt?
    Except for the Automag in front, its usually the man behind the equipment that counts.

Quote Originally Posted by cougar20th View Post
    The striker oring is there to seal the striker to the body until the oring passes a exhaust port. You will never perceive a leak there. Its the first thing to replace after you have checked that you have air. Also make sure your tank is 800ish output. Some stock spyders do not like less.
    Just fixed this same problem last night in a spyder. Yup, it was the striker o-ring.

Sorry. Been busy and hadn't had time to report back. First I'll say I was wrong. It wasn't a spyder. I didn't realise brass eagle had released a spyder knock off some years back. On the plus side. An exploded diagram was easy to find. But anyways. Got it apart. And it was nasty gummy inside with old paint and a little dirt. Cleaned everything well. Lubed it all. Re assembled. And shoots great. I checked everything you all pointed to. In the end gummy old paint was the #1 issue. As always. This is the #1 place for respectable paintball info.

The number one repair for any paintball gun. A good cleaning.

Yup. Just surprising that they had just had it apart and replaced Orings . they def did not lube the Orings before putting it back together though.

Quote Originally Posted by blackdeath1k View Post
    Yup. Just surprising that they had just had it apart and replaced Orings .
    They just forgot to mention that they played 50 games of paintball after they changed the orings. LOL. To some, a short time ago means they just had it done, and it doesn't necessarily mean it hadn't been used in a few games since. It would only take one or two games with a couple of broken balls, followed by a short duration without being cleaned, to gum up the internals.

Quote Originally Posted by athomas View Post
    They just forgot to mention that they played 50 games of paintball after they changed the orings. LOL. To some, a short time ago means they just had it done, and it doesn't necessarily mean it hadn't been used in a few games since. It would only take one or two games with a couple of broken balls, followed by a short duration without being cleaned, to gum up the internals.
    LMAO. Well it was rebuilt a couple weeks ago. And probably had less than 100 paintballs thru it. BUT! As a whole I'm sure your correct. Eh! Just reminds me why I like mags. So easy to clean.

A good cleaning is a must for any new to you marker. I have never aired up a used marker i bought from someone until I have taken it apart and cleaned/inspected it. The stuff i have found inside, or not inside (missing parts) always surprises me. Quite frankly I view it as a personal safety issue to never just air up a gun...