Thread: Y-Grip causing Bolt Stick

Question Y-Grip causing Bolt Stick

Hi Guys,

As it says in the title. I've got an X-Valve Mag. Lvl 10 installed. With my Y-Grip on the marker, the bolt sticks after firing. I need to either reach into the body and reset it myself, or turn the air off and on again.

I've tried with both the ULT and RT On/Off I have and it made no difference.

As soon as I swithced to a spare Intelliframe I had, the bolt stick stopped completely.

Anyone have any idea what about the Y-Grip might be causing this? I'd rather not give it up. I find it really comfortable.

Thanks!

adjust your sear rod to credit card thickness away from the trigger and once thats done you may want to see if you need to go up a carrier on your lvl 10.

I'll take a look at the sear rod.
    If I go any higher on the lvl 10 carrier it leaks like a sieve.

Tighten down the field strip bolt with an allen not with fingers.

If it never leaked/bolt stuck before, then the valve is too loose. Happened to me with my M90 framed x valve. Tuna told me to tighten it and now it sings.

The field strip bolt gets pretty tight if I tighten it with an allen key, but I'll give that a shot. I'm at a loss as to why its sticking.
    When it works its phenomenal. My favourite marker by far. And then the bolt sticks and I need to screw about to get it to reset. And much cursing happens.

The body will flex, this is what is causing the bolt stick and that is why tightening the screw fixes it.This is a very common problem especially with a very soft level 10.
    It has nothing to do with the sear rod.
    ......You know you want one!!

Same thing happened to me. I had to bang on the back to get it reset or degas it to reset the bolt. Sometimes the simplest thing gets it out of wack.

Thanks for all the help guys!

Once I get home from work I'll be trying all of this in the hopes of resolving the problem. Got a couple big games coming up, I'd rather not have to use a different marker.

So I had a chance to work on my Mag this fine evening.

Turns out, it was the ULT causing all the problems. Swapped in the RT on/off and adjusted the trigger a little and the problem is gone. Likely need to do some more tweaking with the ULT to get it shimmed properly. For now, I'll just stick with the RT On/Off.

If it worked with one trigger frame but not the other, then you should still look at that cause as well. The ULT may have had some effect on it for sure, though. Check your field strip screw to make sure it isn't bottoming out before it gets tight. There might be a tiny bit of difference in thickness between the two frames which is why one works when the other doesn't. That could be part of your issue. It could cause bolt stick issues and could affect your ULT setup.
    Except for the Automag in front, its usually the man behind the equipment that counts.

Could be the case, but I don't think so.
    The y-Grip is actually a bit thicker at the back than the Intelliframe I was testing. Both tightened up nice and snug and both had room to be cranked tighter with an allen wrench.
    I didn't need to tighten to past finger tight with the RT On/Off.

I think the problem lies in the ULT itself. I got it used and I don't think its been set up properly. I also think its only using LX shims. I don't think it came with any and I know I don't have any ULT Shims.

For now I'll stick with the RT On/Off until the big games are passed and I have time to tinker and screw around with it. I just want it to work for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody View Post
    Same thing happened to me. I had to bang on the back to get it reset or degas it to reset the bolt. Sometimes the simplest thing gets it out of wack.
    if this fixes it, then you need to adjust the tension on the body and valve. if they are not tight, then the body will cause excess friction on the bolt and cause it to not reset.
    "because every vengeful cop with a lesbian daughter, is having a bad day, and looking for someone to blame"

Nope, like i said. Showed it to Tuna, he told me that the field strip screw needed to be tighter(use an allen wrench) & viola she sings like she is supposed to. Nice try on attempting to fix a problem that was solved months ago. You should read up about Tuna. He kinda knows what he is doing with mags...

Cyco-Dude Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobody View Post
    Nope, like i said. Showed it to Tuna, he told me that the field strip screw needed to be tighter
    that's what cockerpunk said; i guess you misunderstood what he said. or at least, that's how i interpreted it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyco-Dude View Post
    that's what cockerpunk said; i guess you misunderstood what he said. or at least, that's how i interpreted it.
    yup, its exactly what i said.

So a bit late down the line, but I managed to solve things.

The ULT was rocking LX shims. The fine folks at AGD sent me some ULT Shims since I didn't have any. Also, the On/Off pin in the ULT was loose so it kept separating. Don't know if it would cause problems, but better safe than sorry so I threw a tiny dab of Locktite on it and fitted it back together. With the new Shims in and the pin firmly attached, I gave the field strip screw a nice turn with an allen wrench, adjusted the sear rod a bit and BAM! My mag is singing once again.

Thanks again everyone. Always nice to have helpful advice with a problem.