Thread: OK, so I'm in a bar, but wondering about anno jobs...

OK, so I'm in a bar, but wondering about anno jobs...

So, I've had a Shockwave E-mag project for a while. The polishing has been intense, but not perfect.

I was wondering what I can "get away with" with the anodizing process. It's a pretty good project, just ready for anno.

Shockwave body, ULEd e-mag frame, X-valve lvl10, RT on/off, etc., XMR Board, it's just some of the body milling is still noticeable after my efforts at hand polishing. I was curious how much anno can let you get away with?

This is in top of owning KNMs Shockwave E-mag, a Tequila Karta E-mag, Infection style anno 2k9 with E-mag and Luke M90 lowers, X-Mags (plural), and a fair amount of mech mags, outside of the other markers I have.

Any input?

Garbage in, garbage out.

I can't count the number of times folks have commented negatively or apologetically regarding failings of prep before anno. Gloss even more so than dust.

The only complaint I remember seeing regarding going all-in on the prep work is additional cost. This has always been tempered with, "but it was worth it".

If you are going to spend $$$+ on top shelf anno work, don't regret not spending $$ on prep and always wish you had done more. If it really is a 'player's gun' for you, maybe powder over a clear anno just to seal the aluminum. Powder can be more forgiving of the surface finish.

If it is to look like it was done right...then it has to be done right.

If you go with a shop like Caustic, you can have him put a polish on it. Granted it would raise the costs of whatever anno you get, but those slight imperfections would be gone.

As for anno, you can also as someone like Caustic and see what the master thinks. Granted yoj are in the 3 month wait depending on back log, but i would pic a couple different styles(gloss, dust, acid wash, for example) and not only find out the costs associated with it, but what Stephen might suggest. You certainly would want to compliment the milling, so a loud, active anno would loose the milling, instead of showing it off.

Seriously, just let caustic handle it from start to finish...

Quote Originally Posted by BigEvil View Post
    Seriously, just let caustic handle it from start to finish...
    What he said.

You sir, have your priorities in check!

As a repeat customer of Caustic Customs, dont spend any more time on it yourself. His pricing is not much higher than anyone else's and its all inclusive with the prep work. His work is second to none and the wait is worth it.

In case you don't go to Caustic, dust finishes can hide inclusion pitting (pinholes), but it only hides machining marks in particular lighting. The marks need to be dealt with before ano, like Chrome said. Ano is fairly easy; prep is hard.