Thread: issue I have never seen - RT Classic - PLEASE HELP

issue I have never seen - RT Classic - PLEASE HELP

so I have used mags off and on since about 1997. I did the first PTI tech class that Tom taught... but am admittedly SUPER rusty.

I recently rebuilt the used RT Classic I bought with new o-rings throughout and slapped on a Medusa frame. Had to do some trigger rod adjusting to get it shooting.. all seemed good. dry fired a few dozen shots, then all of the sudden bolt wouldn't reset and rod wouldn't move forward.

Busted it out the old trusted bolt stick cure, slapped the back of the marker and BAM! fires but no reset. Do this a few more times, same result.

Play it safe, turn off air.. everything vents, pop barrel off look down breech and notice bolt (Level 7) seems to be sitting cockeyed/crooked and stuck forward... since everything is SSTL and pretty tight tolerances this seems weird to me. Stick a squeegie down there, poke the bolt and BAM slaps into place under pressure and some air rushes out (not a shot but some air)

I'm now afraid to air it up again and start toying with it before talking to someone more up on their 'mag game than me.

Years ago we fought together in the Cocker wars... help me AO, you are my only hope.

Sounds like body/valve alignment issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Laku View Post
    Sounds like body/valve alignment issue.
    yup

tighten up the frame screws for both the body and the valve. the valve is likely a bit loose in there.
    "because every vengeful cop with a lesbian daughter, is having a bad day, and looking for someone to blame"

Thanks guys, I will give it a shot!

Treat it right and ditch the Benchmark frame

I will 3rd the body. Make sure that everything is sitting correctly and nothing is even slightly off. Even hand fit it before installing the screws.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody View Post
    Treat it right and ditch the Benchmark frame

I will 3rd the body. Make sure that everything is sitting correctly and nothing is even slightly off. Even hand fit it before installing the screws.
    Frankly if I could get a decent black frame I'd dump the Medusa, not feeling it tbh and don't want to pay to have a Luke mini-vert anno'd black

Have an intelliframe i can sell you

Will get pics if interested...

Is the barrel sitting in the front of the body properly? A loose fitting barrel and/or bad barrel orings could cause the breach area to be misaligned. This can also occur if the twist lock assembly is stuck.

Check to see if it works without the barrel installed. That will give a good indication if the barrel alignment is to blame. Once the easy stuff is ruled out, you can proceed to the next check.

Also check to see if the hole in the body isn't mushroomed causing the bolt to be pushed to one side.

The puff of air when you pushed the bolt back isn't an issue. If you straightened the bolt and allowed the sear to reset, the inrush of air would seal the powertube oring, but some air would escape in the process until the oring was tight against the back of the bolt stem.
    Except for the Automag in front, its usually the man behind the equipment that counts.

Quote Originally Posted by sillypookie View Post
    Play it safe, turn off air.. everything vents, pop barrel off look down breech and notice bolt (Level 7) seems to be sitting cockeyed/crooked and stuck forward... since everything is SSTL and pretty tight tolerances this seems weird to me. Stick a squeegie down there, poke the bolt and BAM slaps into place under pressure and some air rushes out (not a shot but some air)

Pull the valve and make sure the power tube tip is still ok. A loose or broken PT tip is the only way I've ever seen the bolt get really wompy.

Send it to Tunaman.

While he has it have him drop a level 10 in it.

couple things i would check for. length of the rt on/off pin is correct (.750-.740), ring and clip aren't missing, powertube tip is ok, sear looks ok, sear rod is credit card thickness from the back of the trigger when aired up.

if all of those are good check the screw tightness for valve and body aswell as barrel orings.

also what bore barrel are you using if its marked? if not what barrel is it?

doing all of that will help narrow the issues down a bit.