Thread: Patents

Patents

So is the big war on who owns what patents over yet? Seems like majority of markers use the same operation principles (poppet/spool) so is it just considered common knowledge yet? If the patents have all run out and the technology is all considered common knowledge, the merger( read: buyout) of Kee by GI sports shouldn't effect new innovation should it arise....

Just looking for discussion really, I know there are some here who are more versed on the patents than other forums, not to mention the members here are a little more mature than another forum and I might actually get real answers.

Quote Originally Posted by going_home View Post
    That is VERY comprehensive lol I have some reading material now. Thank you.

Good luck !

Honestly, most of those patents are out of date. Empire/Kee, now GI Sportz owns the SP patents. I onow a few people had tried to kill the rights for tue betterment of paintball but greed got in the way.

really the only one that is still around is the electro gun one.

the damage has been done. i don't think its legal issues preventing innovation in paintball, its players not accepting innovation that is killing innovation in paintball.
    Last edited by cockerpunk; 09-14-2015 at 03:57 PM.
    "because every vengeful cop with a lesbian daughter, is having a bad day, and looking for someone to blame"

Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post

the damage has been done. i don't think its legal issues preventing innovation in paintball, its players not accepting innovation that is killing innovation in paintball.
    Not so. I believe it has more to with eschewing what is standard and embracing the new. It also has to do with if the technology is being beta tested versus having a working product. You can have the best product out but if it is not fully formed, then it will not work as intended. The 6pack for the interim between 12grams and constant air. Look at the Angel. There were electros before it, but the Angel was fully formed that pushed the market to become the near standard.

I agree with this.

Tom Kaye said something similar, or maybe it was only about gameplay style. Regardless, I must be out of the loop. What innovations has the paintball community rejected?
    Last of the Salzburg Clan

Quote Originally Posted by nak81783 View Post
    What innovations has the paintball community rejected?
    Mag fed paintball, and .50 cal.

Mag fed and .50 cal would save the industry.

Quote Originally Posted by going_home View Post
    Mag fed paintball, and .50 cal.

Mag fed and .50 cal would save the industry.

I thought you didn't do drugs Allan?

50 cal was rejected for practical reasons very early on in the sport... Mag fed is only preferred by the 'operators' who want to pretend to be soldiers. Also, the majority of mag fed users prefer First Strike rounds, and we know about that.

50 cal for kids birthdays, now that is something to consider.

Quote Originally Posted by BigEvil View Post
    Having worked at a field, I agree with this, not just for the kids but more so for the worrisome parents...

I'll say it. "Stock Class" paintball.

Quote Originally Posted by BigEvil View Post
    I thought you didn't do drugs Allan?

50 cal was rejected for practical reasons very early on in the sport... Mag fed is only preferred by the 'operators' who want to pretend to be soldiers. Also, the majority of mag fed users prefer First Strike rounds, and we know about that.

I guess you missed that part lol.