Thread: Wood grips for my mini-tac

Wood grips for my mini-tac

a while back I parted my mini-tac to finish up a few mags. Saw most of the parts for it in my parts bin and decided to bring it back to life. So I figured I could make some wood grips for it.

1. Started with some walnut lumber and cut it down and sanded it to the size I needed

2. Shaped them to fit my rpg triton frame

3. Drilled the holes, bull nosed the edges, sanded, sealed, sanded, and put varnish on them

It's almost back to what I want, borrowed the body from my rpg mag until I can get my mini-tac body back...also need a couple more fittings to use the foregrip as a gas through...

I'm happy with they way the grips look but the next ones I make will be a little thinner and maybe some stain on them to make them a shade or two darker

or start with a darker wood. looks good.

Looks good. Gives the gun a nice custom look.
    Except for the Automag in front, its usually the man behind the equipment that counts.

Quote Originally Posted by keiko_819 View Post
    I'm happy with they way the grips look but the next ones I make will be a little thinner and maybe some stain on them to make them a shade or two darker
    The curve of the edges make a big difference in feel. Your center thickness might be fine and a longer transition to the edge would be all you need. They look good though.

Does the wood cover the gap without the rubber in the front ?

To me it "wood" look better without the rubber thingy....

Last edited by going_home; 09-08-2015 at 12:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-TW View Post
    The curve of the edges make a big difference in feel. Your center thickness might be fine and a longer transition to the edge would be all you need. They look good though.
    Yeah I'll also try this on another set. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by going_home View Post
    Does the wood cover the gap without the rubber in the front ?

To me it "wood" look better without the rubber thingy....

If I take te time to tuck the rubber insert it would be hidden, but I think they will stay on since they make it very comfortable

As long as you are making your own, keep the pretty ones, but think of matching your hand to the way you want to hold the frame. Even a set of slightly uneven panels may match your hand much better than a plain set of panels. Depending on your hold and the marker, it may not make any difference, like hanging the marker on your thumb and using the foregrip more. But if you ever really hang on to the frame, a comfortable set of grip panels can really make your day.

You might consider using a few coats of tung, teak or boiled linseed oil instead of stain/varnish. Minwax makes a good product. Tung oil is what is primarily used on wooden stock firearms, and provides some water-resistance and durability. If the finish ever gets marred, just sand and reapply the oil. That's what I used on my Minimag, with excellent results:

Very nice. I made a lot of these when the RPG frame first came out. I tried my best to make that little hook in the front on the bottom, but could never get it just right. So, I ended up doing exactly what you did. Rogue ended up using this pattern for the grips that he had made for this frame.
    WOW, sigs. Havent seen these in a while here on AO.

Quote Originally Posted by kruger View Post
    Very nice. I made a lot of these when the RPG frame first came out. I tried my best to make that little hook in the front on the bottom, but could never get it just right. So, I ended up doing exactly what you did. Rogue ended up using this pattern for the grips that he had made for this frame.
    Hey guys, look who paid us a visit !

Quote Originally Posted by going_home View Post
    Hey guys, look who paid us a visit !

I pop in from time to time, just to see what is happening.

I pop in from time to time, just to see what is happening.
    We watch to see when you do

Quote Originally Posted by maniacmechanic View Post
    We watch to see when you do
    A little bit creepy.

And, I thought that you moved to West Va, found the paintball options lacking, and opened your own field manicmech.

A little bit creepy.

And, I thought that you moved to West Va, found the paintball options lacking, and opened your own field manicmech.
    Sure did ; Preston County Paintball

We are trying to prod him to do an AO day now.....

Quote Originally Posted by maniacmechanic View Post
    Sure did ; Preston County Paintball
    Ah, I just neglected to see that it said "origin" under the location. And, as a ex-field owner, I had lots of ideas for bunkers, but never had the backing to build. If you are interested, I have an idea for a little bunker complex that I called "Hell's Snowflake". As I pictured it and designed it, it had a quarter mile of bunkers in a 400 ft circle. Easy to build, and can be scaled up or down in size, depending on space, money, personal drive, ect. Would love to see it built, and would love to see it played, and, absolutely NOT play it myself. I am not maneuverable enough anymore. If interested, I will see if I can scrounge up the drawings I made for it. Also, will share a few resources for bunker material that is mostly free, except for your time to get it.

PM me and I will shoot you an email.