Thread: New to automags, needs some help/info

New to automags, needs some help/info

Hey AO;

First post here, so I apologize if it's in the wrong location. Please move if needed.

I asked on PBnation.com but thought I'd ask the real knowledge source as well

I just picked up a 68 classic automag. I've done some research, but still know little. I was wondering if someone can tell me more about it? I plan to make it a project gun (ultimate goal of no external macrolines), but want to know what my starting point is. I guess the rails, grip frame, valving, and bodies can be different so I'd like to know what I have.

Thank you in advance.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Standard automag with classic valve. Nothing special. It's about as base model as you can get.

If you want macro less your better off picking up a RT classic as the air ports through the thumbscrew it is possible to drill and tap a normal valve but it's quite tight

Yea I saw what flatliner did (https://www.automags.org/forums/showt...-Frame-Automag)
    And that's what I want to accomplish. I do plan on getting an xvalve and level 10 bolt for it, so hopefully that will make it easier.

I made a hose less RT for a friend

Quote Originally Posted by renie View Post
    I made a hose less RT for a friend
    I so want more details.

^^^ I'm with c_losjoker on this. Please spill the beans. Apparently you need to move the trigger frame back on the rail and I can't find how to do so. Apparently a guy name loguzzzz outlined it, but I can't find any detail on that.

im happy to share any information
    I used a demon frame as they are gas through, then made a transfer rail with a threaded stepped bung/transfer pipe, the transfer rail has a joining hole and a oval slot milled in, this is I have drilled a through hole in the bottom of the rail that is sealed with a oring (unfortunately I have no pictures of this )

im aiming to make this badboy project gas through once ive made my frame

Dude, that is amazing! I have a bunch of macrolines fittings at work I can use, and having it go thru the rail like you did is my plan. I just want to use a dye ul frame (I like the sleek look of them). Thankfully I work in engineering and design so I can whip up a 3d model of a rail, have it milled and be in business. Thanks again for letting me know this is possible. One question, did you have to reposition the frame and thus reposition the sear and/or sear rod?

I hat to cut down the sear rod but I positioned the frame to suit there wasn't a lot of clearance due to the demon frame ports out tight to the left of the frame and close to the sear slot

Hey renie, any chance you gonna do a run of those bodies? Also if you are will there be any in am/mm length?
    Last edited by alpha_q_up23; 09-17-2015 at 10:58 AM.

There won't be a am/mm length one yet I'm still finalising this one and yes the idea will be to produce a run

Ok, learning the lingo... What do you mean by am/mm length?

Automag and minimag rail length

What kind of price tag will be on one of those sexy bodies renie

Quote Originally Posted by Spook View Post
    Automag and minimag rail length
    Thank you for clarifying.