Thread: Achievement Unlocked: First MicroMag!

Achievement Unlocked: First MicroMag!

I have lusted after the micromag since I first saw it at the field after World Cup (grew up playing at the old World Cup site in Kissimmee, FL). I didn't care that it was heavy and loud. I had to have it. Alas, it was not to be and I've been quite content with my automag for nearly 20 years (holy crap when did *that* happen?). As luck would have it, I came across a good deal on a gen II micromag recently and just pulled it out of the packing material today. So that's one unicorn gun down. I haven't put air through it yet but a field strip revealed good looking o rings and fresh lube on the internals. Pic posted below. Please ignore the expansion chamber; that's going bye bye right quick. (it looks like an old Taso maybe?).

Plans at the moment are minimal. Besides swapping the expansion chamber for a gas through grip, adding a purging ASA, swapping in macroline and replacing the old teflon tape with the appropriate loctite thread sealer, I'm pretty much going to play it as is. I could see an X Valve decreasing the overall weight of the marker but I think I'm going to leave the lvl 7 bolt in it rather than deal with lvl 10 fitment issues. Plus an x valve kit would cost more than the marker set me back

Any other improvements you'd recommend? Also, what's preferred cleaning agent for seriously ground in field grime? I noticed in a few spots some really nasty crap that I want to get out but i don't want to mess with the finish of the marker.

Can't wait to put some paint through this.

Name:  12042041_10153637002909819_1676159219_n.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  89.1 KB
    Love me or hate me but respect my pre-star system AIR valve!

Nice pickup! Yes, that expansion chamber must go. Gotta find something that sits flush with the bottom of the grip frame. I used to have an old cp mini reg (gutted) that worked perfect. This gonna be something you use regularly? Gonna want a level 10 and look to increase rof.
    Feedback
    God is good

I made the mistake of browsing Luke's site. Now I'm also thinking a fore grip extender to change the ergonomics a bit.

From a rof perspective while I'm sure a lvl 10 would help, I have to do something about the trigger first. I don't recall this much slop in these frames.

Once that's sorted maybe I'll revisit lvl 10 or even xvalve. It's not a light gun.

I think you'll find that it gets quite a bit lighter when you get rid of the expansion chamber.

The level 10 won't help with the rate of fire. Its no different than the level 7 in that respect. It will help prevent chops when you get heavy on the trigger, especially when you run low on paint in your hopper. If you do get the level 10, you will want to sand the outer edge at the front of the bolt down. The micro mag breach areas are a bit tighter than a normal ULE mag body or most barrel inside diameters for stainless mag bodies. The level 10 is a nice addition to a mag though. If you take the time to set it up properly, it is easy to do and won't give you any issues. I've shot many dozens of cases of paint through my mags and never had a level 10 issue other than normal wear and tear that would require an oring or bolt spring change due to it wearing out.

The benchmark frames are known to have quite a bit of play in the trigger. You can make it more crisp by adding a shim or two on the trigger pin between the side of the trigger and the body.
    Except for the Automag in front, its usually the man behind the equipment that counts.

Cyco-Dude Guest
    they do have a little more side-to-side play, but it's a total non-issue when you're actually using it in my opinion.

7 posts in 13 years.... welcome back !

Nice

I'm a notorious lurker.

I love classics! If you're after PTP authenticity, I have a PTP barrel available for it if you were interested... PM me.

Get an RT valve and put an Intelliframe on it and you will be STUNNED how much much fun it is, but make sure you have lvl 10 set up for it then because you will outrun most hoppers.
    That which does not kill us, cripples us for life.

level 10 may require some slight modification to work.