Thread: classic rt screw sizes

classic rt screw sizes

Sorry for being such a newb, but could someone tell me what size screw hex head I need? I hate using allen keys, pain to deal with them. thx in advance anyone.

Um...the ones in the set that fit the screws you're trying to remove. :-)

But seriously, just buy a set. They're standard, not metric.
    Last of the Salzburg Clan

Cyco-Dude Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by rickenbacker22 View Post
    Sorry for being such a newb, but could someone tell me what size screw hex head I need? I hate using allen keys, pain to deal with them. thx in advance anyone.
    for what part? also, i would recommend keeping the allen head screws. not only do they look better, they are much less likely to round than other heads (unless you plan to swap them with torx or something lol).

standard set ok thanks.

well I was hopin someone could tell me from the smallest size I need to the largest size. these allen keys dont have any thing on them, thxs u all.

3/32" for the 12 screws holding the foregrip rail and sight rail to the main rail as well as the twist lock set screw.

1/8" for trigger frame and field strip screws as well as the two screws holding the foregrip to the foregrip rail.

3/16" for the NPT ports.

I think that's everything.

The rest will vary based on your setup. For example, in addition to using the above sizes for various trigger frame and drop forward screws, I also use a 5/32" for the screws holding the ASA to the drop forward.

By the way, how did you get it apart without allen wrenches?

Oh I used allen keys, I have way too many of them and they are not easy to identify, I broke down and bought a whole bunch of allen drivers.

my banjo bolt bolt and front grip screw will only accept 3.0 mm size I wonder If Im using the correct size?

Cyco-Dude Guest
    Oh I used allen keys, I have way too many of them and they are not easy to identify, I broke down and bought a whole bunch of allen drivers.
    eh, once you use them enough it gets easier. i can tell what allen is which just by glancing at it now.

my banjo bolt bolt and front grip screw will only accept 3.0 mm size I wonder If Im using the correct size?
    some sizes in metric are close enough to standard they they will work interchangeably. for instance, instead of 5/32, i just use a 4mm (since i couldn't find a 5/32 in the pouch of allen wrenches i had).

the correct size is 1/8"; 3mm is slightly too small and could result in rounded heads. if your 1/8" doesn't fit, it could be because the bolt heads are slightly rounded, or your allen is rounded, or some combination.