Thread: My impresions of useing a FN303 for paintball

My impresions of useing a FN303 for paintball

So I figured I would go over what my thoughts were of using a FN303 for paintball. This is after using it for 2 days at the Reaperball game here in NH.

First I was unable to fully set the gun up due to Tiberious holding the order for a month+. I was planning on using a FSR adjsutable rail & 2 power scope. So without this it makes aiming interesting since you cant get your head low enough with a mask on.

Saturday, the learning day.

Field paint only. No FirstStrike allowed.
    With any new toy there's a learning curve. I had to learn the gun, learn how the sling worked, & learn how to efficiently swap drums its harder then it looks
    As always with something odd I got lots of questions and lots of comments from other players especially rental guys. Most people had no clue what the thing was.
    Usually I would go on the field with a total of 4 drums (60 balls). I don't even go that low in stock-class. So that was another adjustment. It make you really really thing about wasting a shot.
    The barrels I used were both Hammerhead's, a 8"? Sharktooth and a longer Battlestix barrel. Both with the .686 sizer. Due to no site/scope the longer barrel was the better one to use. I learned to site using the end of the barrel and the front site only. Much like you would in archery.The short barrel you just don't see the end of. Once that was learned I could actually hit something.
    The gun worked almost flawlessly. Only issue I had all day was something I expected so no big deal. The drums are so strongly sprung that every now and then (6 time) they would crush a brittle ball when indexing. I know how to fix this but hadn't done it to all the drums.

I was extremely pleased with how the gun worked, handled and felt.

Sunday, FirstStrike day.
    The second field we went to allowed me to use FirstStike. I don't know if its there norm or not there. Or if the owner just wanted to see the gun work to its potential. I'm thinking the second.
    All I can say is with FS rounds is WOW. Huge improvement in distance and accuracy. Even at 270 FPS field limit. Don't know why I didn't do this years ago. There were several times I would stand watching peoples paint land in front of me and then shot them out. I did find that with FS rounds you need to pace yourself. I had brought 200 FS rounds. After the first game I had used 60. After that I only brought 2 drums onto the field with me.

Sunday was also the planned FUN day with the gun between the FS, the field owners interest in it. Some of the guys had bought a nice Baking pan the night before. RIP baking pan.

After lunch the fun started. I swapped the gun back to Evil mod. Which was simply breaking it down, removing the filler shims, assembling and readjusting. We got the fields drill added a hole to the pan and the guys screwed it to a tree.

440 FPS with FirstStrike that should do.

Now to load up with the run stuff. Along with the gun I received 300 Riot rounds. I brought 15 to use. We unfortunately did not chrono these rounds. But the gun is designed to have them come out at 300-350 FPS. But they weigh 3 time what a paintball does, are weighted with granulated bismuth and have a hard plastic shell.

The whole field was pretty much shut down & everyone watched while we were doing this. Mostly because to site the FN303 correctly you cant have a mask on. We only allowed the shooter to remove their mask.

Thanks to Matt (Twilight) for modeling with the pan after it was taken down.
    Doesn't look to bad from here does it.

Oh wait maybe it is.

One missed the pan and got the tree, broke and embedded itself.
    Quote Originally Posted by dano_____ View Post
    I keep forgetting to not feed my mags after midnight so they seem to multiply regularly.

OK where do ya buy one , Cost , what about removing the stock ? , doing searchs on this found a thread here where Tom was sellin the first one ,, in 2004

Was it worth the large investment ?

Quote Originally Posted by maniacmechanic View Post
    OK where do ya buy one , Cost , what about removing the stock ? , doing searchs on this found a thread here where Tom was sellin the first one ,, in 2004
    That is the tricky part. They are only sold to law enforcement or military. They cost around $900 new. But you cant buy them.
    The stock slides off but its not comfy without it. The pistol grip goes with it.

Quote Originally Posted by going_home View Post
    Was it worth the large investment ?
    Absolutely.

Parts are very hard to get. Ive got 8 drums for it. I buy them when I can. I don't even know where you would buy the sling. Its not something that's usually included and Ive never seen it before I got mine.
    Even something as simple as the mag pouch is near impossible to get.

Quote Originally Posted by maniacmechanic View Post
    there was one for sale on MCB a few weeks ago. try www.gunbroker.com also.

I have seen them occasionally for sale at gun stores.

Quote Originally Posted by vintage View Post
    there was one for sale on MCB a few weeks ago. try www.gunbroker.com also.
    Nice one up there now with extras like the eotech site, storage bag, 3 drums etc.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=513545837

Only $1200 !

Think I'd wait and buy a used CS1 ....
    Last edited by going_home; 10-09-2015 at 06:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by going_home View Post
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=513545837

Only $1200 !

Think I'd wait and buy a used CS1 ....
    Yes but when you look into the sight. Its a $500 eotech. The real thing not a copy. Drums run $50 if you can get them.

So there $550 of extras before the bag.

If its setup the way someone wants its worth it. If I had the cash right now I would grab it.