Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Anyone Here Drive A Fast Car?!?

Sweet potato car flaw.

Thanks guys! Though, I don't know what a "potato car" is lol

3. im sad the z32 is more popular and liked by Z car folks than the z31. the z31 is just a fantastic classic lined car. i am partial to my 80s turbos though ... haha

i've wanted an FC turbo for a long time. someday. and sad to say, but a starion too. #givemeallthe80sboxedflaredturbos
    "because every vengeful cop with a lesbian daughter, is having a bad day, and looking for someone to blame"

lo and behold there is a beautiful FC for sale on racing junk ... http://www.racingjunk.com/Other/1826...to-cross-.html

this is a local guy, STR national champ, in a studded tire s2000 on ice .... holy crap he is good:

Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
    im sad the z32 is more popular and liked by Z car folks than the z31. the z31 is just a fantastic classic lined car. i am partial to my 80s turbos though ... haha

i've wanted an FC turbo for a long time. someday. and sad to say, but a starion too. #givemeallthe80sboxedflaredturbos
    But that's actually a good thing for those who are aware what a gem these cars actually are. Their resale value although increasing, is quite low so it's easy to grab one cheap for a project.

Quote Originally Posted by FlawleZ View Post
    But that's actually a good thing for those who are aware what a gem these cars actually are. Their resale value although increasing, is quite low so it's easy to grab one cheap for a project.
    there is a combination of 2 things going on there:

1. as cars become more computer games than cars, those who want a full analogue experience have to look to older, lighter, more pure breed cars.

2. the 20-30 year delay. classic muscle car resale is fading from its high 10 years ago. this is because the guys who grew up wanting those cars, are now fading from the hobby, meanwhile the guys who grew up wanting 80s and 90s sports cars are now getting the age where they can easily afford and live with them, so they are buying them up.

im sad the z32 is more popular and liked by Z car folks than the z31. the z31 is just a fantastic classic lined car. i am partial to my 80s turbos though ... haha

there is a combination of 2 things going on there:

1. as cars become more computer games than cars, those who want a full analogue experience have to look to older, lighter, more pure breed cars.

2. the 20-30 year delay. classic muscle car resale is fading from its high 10 years ago. this is because the guys who grew up wanting those cars, are now fading from the hobby, meanwhile the guys who grew up wanting 80s and 90s sports cars are now getting the age where they can easily afford and live with them, so they are buying them up.
    I completely agree. Although I have much respect for the muscle car era here in the US, and can appreciate most, the large majority of them drive like dump trucks. They were exciting back then because the regular cars were even worse than dump trucks. Some were legitimately quick but most were quite slow. Yet this odd perception still exists among many that they were so much greater than that.

Quote Originally Posted by FlawleZ View Post
    I completely agree. Although I have much respect for the muscle car era here in the US, and can appreciate most, the large majority of them drive like dump trucks. They were exciting back then because the regular cars were even worse than dump trucks. Some were legitimately quick but most were quite slow. Yet this odd perception still exists among many that they were so much greater than that.
    i wasn't even commenting on the cars themselves, but by and large, old muscle cars drive like crap, and arn't very fast anymore (remember SAE-net corrected power neutered the HP claims on these engines badly, and they are f'kin heavy), and the handling/brakes are pretty much awful in every way. can't tell you the number of old guys who tell me about there old mustang that accelerated so fast you couldn't lean forward and touch the windshield, and you look it up and the car did 0-60 in 6 and change. a v6 accord is that fast.

i do like a lot of the pro-touring style done up muscle cars. those are pretty awesome. but then thats modern everything, wheels, tires, brakes, multi-link suspensions, EFI ...

away, i was more commenting on the fact that old muscle cars, were long before my time. and since they were not around when i was a kid, my bedroom wall posters weren't old muscle cars, they were 80s Porsches, Z cars, Mr2s etc etc and so now that my demographic is getting to the sports car age in terms of money, and garage space, those are the cars that are picking up value.

and the folks who were kids in the muscle car era, are all leaving the sports car marketplace, because they are too old for it. so resale is dropping there.
    Last edited by cockerpunk; 01-07-2016 at 01:53 PM.

case and point:

Since I'm a car guy I guess I'll throw in what I drive
    First is a built 08 sti. This is my 6th Subaru

Second built 93 Toyota supra turbo

And third is my 7th subaru its an 02 wrx, this is my project car right now picked up for 700 bucks still runs and drives great just had a fuel leak.
    Thinking lifted with this one.
    Last edited by tuner92; 01-31-2016 at 02:27 PM.

you should totally build a bug-eye rally car. a good friend of mine runs a lifted WRX in rally cross, cheap and great platform. lots of video of that car in the ice fun videos i've posted.

No driving it today...or recently with all the snow for that matter...

you should totally build a bug-eye rally car. a good friend of mine runs a lifted WRX in rally cross, cheap and great platform. lots of video of that car in the ice fun videos i've posted.
    this being said, sounds like he just blew his center diff on the polar run last weekend (snowy road rally). opps.

Quote Originally Posted by wetwrks View Post

Where do you live?

Quote Originally Posted by Automag Ranger View Post
    Where do you live?
    Colorado

Colorado
    Me too. The Springs.

Me too. The Springs.
    Nice...north end of Denver metro here

Nice...north end of Denver metro here
    I was supposed to go to Denver tomorrow to do another pulley swap, retune and dyno, but I can't get out of my neighborhood.

I was supposed to go to Denver tomorrow to do another pulley swap, retune and dyno, but I can't get out of my neighborhood.
    Lol...I was supposed to go to downtown Denver to work tomorrow but called off because of the snow as well.

Didn't know you were a vette guy too...

And with the stock rims restored...

Name:  6.0.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  169.7 KB

This is what XMT is going to be rolling in once i get it done. Nelson racing twin turbo 402 LS1, mendeola transaxle. 1000HP. 2001 diablo 6.0 replica with tube chassis...best of everything.

1989 Toyota Supra turbo. Roughly 480 whp.

Name:  DSC_0228_zpsqvazixja.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  254.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Xmagterror View Post
    Name:  6.0.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  169.7 KB

This is what XMT is going to be rolling in once i get it done. Nelson racing twin turbo 402 LS1, mendeola transaxle. 1000HP. 2001 diablo 6.0 replica with tube chassis...best of everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Njt11 View Post
    1989 Toyota Supra turbo. Roughly 480 whp.

Name:  DSC_0228_zpsqvazixja.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  254.1 KB
    Very nice rides! Waiting for CockerPunk to tell you how worthless your cars are though.

fast cars are for slow drivers....bahahaha
    sounds like something a guy with a slow car would say. Yep this is going to start a flame war...who cares!!!
    Horsepower never goes out of style.

twin turbo 402 LS1.
    This is all I need to hear...

Quote Originally Posted by keiko_819 View Post
    This is all I need to hear...
    LOL...Im building it all myself....Miles of custom billet. Im making my own wheels from billet. Cougar20th on here is doing the design work for me, were both car nuts.

Very nice rides! Waiting for CockerPunk to tell you how worthless your cars are though.
    ???

cars are for driving, and i think its a shame when an awesome car, is not driven flat out. and you can really only do that, at a track.

fast cars are for slow drivers....bahahaha
    sounds like something a guy with a slow car would say. Yep this is going to start a flame war...who cares!!!
    Horsepower never goes out of style.
    remember playing paintball? its not the gun someone is shooting that makes them dangerous on the field, its the talent behind that gun. same exact thing in the car world. the talent behind the wheel is what never goes out of style. give the guy a splatmaster or a ego, hes gonna be dangerous on the field, same thing of a good driver.

horsepower goes out of style when you get passed on the road course by someone with half the horsepower. just like your awesome custom one of one ego goes out of style when you get gogged in a gunfight by a pumper.

i dont get why this is such a tough concept for car folks, and esp folks who are paintball players too. its not insulting to someone's nice gun to say that talent wins paintballs games and not how nice your guns is, why do car folks, who also play paintball, get butthurt when you say talent wins car races, not what car you built?
    Last edited by cockerpunk; 02-05-2016 at 10:38 AM.

Just like there are many forms of paintball playing and tinkering there is the same with cars.

Horsepower does matter, just like balls per second matter. Even if your not going to use 30+ bps or 700+ hp there's no denying the awesome engineering achievement to do it reliably. I mean its no surprise most automag guys would appreciate this aspect of cars based on the markers we tune.

After fast cars I got into sportbikes for a long time. It's easy for me to say car people are stupid because mine accelerates, corners, and stops quicker then all yours, but it's about the total package. Just because you appreciate one type of car or motorsport doesn't mean its better then another type.

What's your opinion on drag racing? If you think road racing is superior or takes more skill I would disagree. Its just different skills.

Quote Originally Posted by boo View Post
    Just like there are many forms of paintball playing and tinkering there is the same with cars.

Horsepower does matter, just like balls per second matter. Even if your not going to use 30+ bps or 700+ hp there's no denying the awesome engineering achievement to do it reliably. I mean its no surprise most automag guys would appreciate this aspect of cars based on the markers we tune.

After fast cars I got into sportbikes for a long time. It's easy for me to say car people are stupid because mine accelerates, corners, and stops quicker then all yours, but it's about the total package. Just because you appreciate one type of car or motorsport doesn't mean its better then another type.

What's your opinion on drag racing? If you think road racing is superior or takes more skill I would disagree. Its just different skills.
    idk where you get that i think building high powered cars is stupid. every car i own is anywhere from fairly, to heavily modified, and power is a key part of that. i love lurkers 500+ rwhp e30, awesome car.

i just think the best investment of time and money is on seat time at HPDEs. just like recommending to someone to buy a mid end setup, and use the rest of the money to actually play paintball is better advice than blowing all your money on a top of the line setup. the skills you learn throwing cars around, even slower ones, will translate with you, and grow through your life, just like learning to play paintball, with a lower end setup will translate to when you go buy something super high end. i simply give folks getting into cars the same advice, buy something RWD, manual, and light weight, and go learn to drive it. not go out and buy a ripper geo and shoot it in your backyard.

the plan for the spyder is simple, finish the chassis off this year (double adjustable koni race coilovers, LSD transaxle), and then next year 350rwhp. in a (in SSM trim with driver) 1950lbs car ... thats a ****ing rocket. i have no problem with and LOVE high power cars. one of my favorite cars ever to drive is my friends v8 swapped 944, its a riot. horsepower is great, but its not the be-all end all of cars. driving them is the be-all end-all of cars. like actually playing paintball is the point of paintball, not collecting and building guns.