Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Anyone Here Drive A Fast Car?!?

Quote Originally Posted by boo View Post
    For you. Other people see fast cars as a fun way to get to work or haul groceries. Other people are perfectly content building up a killer custom marker to adorn the walls of their man cave. Or a car to show off in a show or a parking lot. Personally I like building markers for the fun of the build, I prefer to play with off the shelf factory stock markers. What you think is normal might not be for other people.
    and this is why we don't get along.

id rather do something, you'd rather own something. one is skills worship, the other is wealth worship.
    "because every vengeful cop with a lesbian daughter, is having a bad day, and looking for someone to blame"

No, it's pride. I would rather baby and worship the things I build. I don't mind destroying the mass produced things a company builds. Those are replaceable, my build is a 1 of 1. It's not wealth worship, it's DIY worship and it's what I value most.

If I wanted a track car I'd let someone else dump their own money tearing apart a car and putting in a cage that passes inspection. I'd be buying it for way less then they put into it and could destroy it with no love lost.

No, it's pride. I would rather baby and worship the things I build. I don't mind destroying the mass produced things a company builds. Those are replaceable, my build is a 1 of 1. It's not wealth worship, it's DIY worship and it's what I value most.

If I wanted a track car I'd let someone else dump their own money tearing apart a car and putting in a cage that passes inspection. I'd be buying it for way less then they put into it and could destroy it with no love lost.
    you can buy anything you build. in fact, you can buy even better/nicer things.

why not be proud of of what you have/can do? that cannot be bought.

Because I like building stuff more, even if it costs more then what I could buy something for new. I care more about being a unique individual then being competitive. I've accepted long ago I'm never going to be the best at anything, but I still can be unique and true to myself. So I like building more then competing.

When I do anything competitive I don't do it to be good, I do it to have fun. When I reach a level where I plateau I usually hang it up for a while, try something else until I get bored and come back.

If you want skill, build your car. Not by slapping on bolt ons and changing the parts that are adequate from the factory. I am talking ground up. You want skill, that is skill.

You again deviated and changed the topic. One might say for your own nefarious reasons of getting into arguments. The topic is, "anyone here drive a fast car?". This isn't about skill, or whether acceleration is a better judge of speed versus top end. This isn't about the socio-economic questions of buyi.g versus building. Hell, this isn't even the benefits of forced induction over naturally aspirated engines.

To me, a fast car is any car that can go easily over 100mph. Or any car that has twice the horsepower over a stock engine.

So stay on point here gordo. Maybe you have been taking too many spins on the ice and you are all discombobulated. I know it must be tough to find a DOT crash helmet to fit over that ego of yours...

Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
    you can buy anything you build. in fact, you can buy even better/nicer things.

why not be proud of of what you have/can do? that cannot be bought.

This is why engineers rarely are inventors. They are convinced that a team of engineers can make anything and everything better then what's made by an individual. Back in the day an engineer was not a degreed profession. If you could build **** and solve mechanical problems you were an engineer.

Now days everything is engineered by a comittee of engineers that went to 4-8 years of theoretical engineering school. A products' worth is only as good as the numbers it tests at.

This is why most things suck now days and why I'd rather build stuff myself. It's also why I became a CS major rather then an engineer, so I could buy tools and toys to tinker with instead of getting into numerical debates on performance with other engineers.

To me after the novelty of tracking a car wears off, it's just an engineering challenge. Trying to think of intellectual ways to save a second of time around the track. If it's fun for you, great! It's just not for me.
    Last edited by boo; 03-07-2016 at 12:31 PM.

Hey now!!! Not all engineers think like that. But yes. A lot.... Maybe most. Everything I fabricated myself for my dragbike came with the decision of. Can I buy what I want or need? What's the price? And can I build it better for my personal application. Ironically I've got a lot of 1 off parts primarily because either I couldn't buy what I wanted or needed. Or the cost of buying it was so high I couldn't warrant it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody View Post
    If you want skill, build your car. Not by slapping on bolt ons and changing the parts that are adequate from the factory. I am talking ground up. You want skill, that is skill.

You again deviated and changed the topic. One might say for your own nefarious reasons of getting into arguments. The topic is, "anyone here drive a fast car?". This isn't about skill, or whether acceleration is a better judge of speed versus top end. This isn't about the socio-economic questions of buyi.g versus building. Hell, this isn't even the benefits of forced induction over naturally aspirated engines.

To me, a fast car is any car that can go easily over 100mph. Or any car that has twice the horsepower over a stock engine.

So stay on point here gordo. Maybe you have been taking too many spins on the ice and you are all discombobulated. I know it must be tough to find a DOT crash helmet to fit over that ego of yours...
    i did build a car once. formula SAE. currently building another one. woop dee do. if i had the money i'd pay someone to do it hands down.

the title of the thread is "anyone here drive a fast car" emphasis added.

really all that needs to be said

This is why engineers rarely are inventors. They are convinced that a team of engineers can make anything and everything better then what's made by an individual. Back in the day an engineer was not a degreed profession. If you could build **** and solve mechanical problems you were an engineer.

Now days everything is engineered by a comittee of engineers that went to 4-8 years of theoretical engineering school. A products' worth is only as good as the numbers it tests at.

This is why most things suck now days and why I'd rather build stuff myself. It's also why I became a CS major rather then an engineer, so I could buy tools and toys to tinker with instead of getting into numerical debates on performance with other engineers.

To me after the novelty of tracking a car wears off, it's just an engineering challenge. Trying to think of intellectual ways to save a second of time around the track. If it's fun for you, great! It's just not for me.
    ironic these statements being made by the very people trying to use numbers to disqualify cars from being fast. lol

this is because you are building your car to go faster, not learning to drive it better and thus go faster. unless you are randy pobst, someone else can drive your car faster around a track than you can. that means you don't need to buy more parts to go faster, you need to learn how to drive better. its not an engineer your in need of, its driving lessons.

Racing = geometry and physics done really fast. After you figure that out its just developing the muscle memory over many years til you get too old that your muscle memory begins to decline. It's not the end all be all.

And to most of us its pretty boring buying a car that performs in the average salaryman's muscle memory around a track. It puts most of us in the range of a boring econohatch or a Miata, neither of which are fast cars, even when driven fast.

I think we all know what a fast car is, you know it when you see it. We don't need to do engineering mental math to figure it out. Just like we don't need to do engineering tests under controlled conditions (racing against the clock around a track) to enjoy a fast car.
    Last edited by boo; 03-07-2016 at 01:22 PM.

Racing = geometry and physics done really fast. After you figure that out its just developing the muscle memory over many years til you get too old that your muscle memory begins to decline. It's not the end all be all.

And to most of us its pretty boring buying a car that performs in the average salaryman's muscle memory around a track. It puts most of us in the range of a boring econohatch or a Miata, neither of which are fast cars, even when driven fast.

I think we all know what a fast car is, you know it when you see it. We don't need to do engineering mental math to figure it out. Just like we don't need to do engineering tests under controlled conditions (racing against the clock around a track) to enjoy a fast car.
    wow, so where is your WEC LMP1 trophy case then?

lol

Short of rally x which has very uncontrolled conditions I think it's mind numbingly boring watching people race the clock over and over, and after a certain point it gets boring to do. Eventually most people sack up and race other people. Funds willing.

Of course racing against other people you are definitely going to destroy your car, so it really has to be a car you don't care about.

Short of rally x which has very uncontrolled conditions I think it's mind numbingly boring watching people race the clock over and over, and after a certain point it gets boring to do. Eventually most people sack up and race other people. Funds willing.
    your point?

your point?
    That's most of what you've posted, both cars and video, is pretty boring. Even for car people. While you might think it's interesting, it's not for most of us.

I enjoy seeing pics of a cool engine swap or a built up streetcar a lot more then seeing slow cars race the clock. It's what I'd expect from this thread.

Again, it's like how I'd rather see vids of someone ripping 30+bps on a sweet custom mag in a backyard then watching some noob run around the field with a stock Tippman. Now maybe if it was 2 PSP teams playing each other with Tippmanns it would be interesting. But it would still be outside of the context of "who has a fast marker".

Unless its a Miata with a V8 swap I'm really not interested in seeing it here. I know the engineer in you cringes at these backyard basterdizations, but I find them amazingly fascinating.
    Last edited by boo; 03-07-2016 at 01:44 PM.

That most of what you've posted, both cars and video is pretty boring, even for car people. While you might think it's interesting, it's not for most of us. I enjoy seeing pics of a cool engine swap or a built up streetcar a lot more then seeing slow cars race the clock.
    right, because as you've established you'd rather own something, than do something.

so, logically, videos of folks doing things, are less interesting than pictures of things people own.

it all makes sense.

but cars are for driving, paintball equipment is for playing paintball. you can invent any kind of other "game" to play with them, but we already did that, its called racing, and paintball. why bother making up your own imaginary games, when we have actual games to play?

Answer: if you don't have the skill to win the actual game, invent your own game and rules so you can win every time!

and im not saying that i don't have preferences too, about what is cool and what isn't, i just don't attempt subjugate reality to my preferences. or make excuses for them. i don't need silly rules about what is fast or not, a fast car is one that beats a field of cars under the same rule book. whether that car is cool or not, makes no difference. the clock doesn't lie, the clock doesn't care how much forum cred you have, or how much power your car put down on the dyno. its really very simple.

reminds me of this EPIC rant on stance and why its dumb. which boils down to there is an established point to these things, be they cars or paintball equipment. and while there are other things, like how they look, how cool they are, etc, the point is pretty straightforward. and the only reason to make those other things the primary point, is because a person or group can't compete in the real point of the game, be it racing or paintball.

Unless its a Miata with a V8 swap I'm really not interested in seeing it here. I know the engineer in you cringes at these backyard basterdizations, but I find them amazingly fascinating.
    on the contrary, v8 miatas are amazing, and i love them.

SO much fun to drive. ironically, not much faster than a well built normal miata, except maybe on tracks with a long front straight, but mighty fun to drive. v8 944 swaps are actually even better IMO, thats a chassis with a bit more control than a miata has at those kind of power levels.

also, sidenote, love how people think they can just slip in my opinion, without me noticing.
    Last edited by cockerpunk; 03-07-2016 at 02:42 PM.

fast cars are for driving.

paintball equipment is for playing paintball with.

this isn't a crazy idea.
    So car culture is only about fast cars and racing? If this is your contention than you're doing it wrong. There are tons of aspects of car culture that are not speed and/or race related. And yes paintball equipment is for playing with, but there is also a preservation side of paintball and the car culture that is about collecting and preserving certain examples of both of these hobbies. If you don't see this then you're being obtuse at this point as usual.

Quote Originally Posted by OPBN View Post
    So car culture is only about fast cars and racing? If this is your contention than you're doing it wrong. There are tons of aspects of car culture that are not speed and/or race related. And yes paintball equipment is for playing with, but there is also a preservation side of paintball and the car culture that is about collecting and preserving certain examples of both of these hobbies. If you don't see this then you're being obtuse at this point as usual.
    the thread is called "anyone drive a fast car"

not preserving cars. not restoring cars. not fixing cars. not building cars.

about driving fast cars.

the thread is called "anyone drive a fast car"

not preserving cars. not restoring cars. not fixing cars. not building cars.

about driving fast cars.
    Touché. However it also isn't titled "Who here races a fast car?"

/thread.

I'm in my mid 30's, as I said before, I gave up trying to compete in the top of my class at anything competitive a long time ago. I think I speak for most of us here. There is always somebody with more time, money, and youth to devote to be the best at any activity under the sun. And quite frankly, even in my youth I saw such pursuits as pointless, why devote your life to one thing when there is so much out there. Just do it to have fun.

I'm always suspect of people that talk up their skills, always unsolicited, at anything. People love to brag about skills on the internet because it's nothing they ever have to prove. They're always haters of the more humble people that do have real skills.

And like your cross post try's to say when they get jealous of someone else's skill they change the game. "Welp, I don't have the skill to build a fast car so I'm going to blame it on people sucking for having extra money to buy fast cars", or changing the topic around to "fast cars are pointless unless you race them against the clock. Look at me, I have more skill then you because I race slow cars against the clock". You know, because the topic had nothing to do with "who's a better driver".

Quote Originally Posted by OPBN View Post
    Touché. However it also isn't titled "Who here races a fast car?"

/thread.
    how else to do you determine what fast means?

I'm in my mid 30's, as I said before, I gave up trying to compete in the top of my class at anything competitive a long time ago. I think I speak for most of us here. There is always somebody with more time, money, and youth to devote to be the best at any activity under the sun. And quite frankly, even in my youth I saw such pursuits as pointless, why devote your life to one thing when there is so much out there. Just do it to have fun.

I'm always suspect of people that talk up their skills, always unsolicited, at anything. People love to brag about skills on the internet because it's nothing they ever have to prove. They're always haters of the more humble people that do have real skills.

And like your cross post try's to say when they get jealous of someone else's skill they change the game. "Welp, I don't have the skill to build a fast car so I'm going to blame it on people sucking for having extra money to buy fast cars, or changing the topic around to "fast cars are pointless unless you race them against the clock. Look at me, I have more skill then you because I race slow cars against the clock".
    i have no idea where you think i've been bragging. if you are insecure, i can see how my posts come off as judgmental and bragging. but if you are not insecure about your skills, then they wouldn't be. come to an event! everyone is there to learn!

im a mid-pack driver locally. that makes me better than some folks, and not better than lots of folks too. there is always someone faster, which means there is always more to learn. another great thing about racing head to head, you know in the pecking order exactly where you are, so bravado/ego isn't required. you just look on the time sheets, and its right there in black and white.
    Last edited by cockerpunk; 03-07-2016 at 04:20 PM.

I think this was a car thread at one point. Anyways I don't have the fastest car but I love it and it gets me where I'm going. 2012 Camaro SS.
    426 HP and when my warranty is up, I'll bump it up to at least 550 HP.

this came up in my facebook feed today. its a running joke in our club, this guy built a v8 miata, and sometimes comes to our local autocrosses. hes a weird dude, and its a decent enough i guess v8 swap, but mostly he makes videos like this humble bragging about his autocross skills in it. it, at this point, has everything in the sun done to it. LS2, full aero package, BBK, i think hes running 17 inch wheels (no idea why lol), homemade flares, its pretty insane build:

i watch so many videos of good driving, and by all reasoning it should be a fast car. i mean he has 400+ rwhp in a ~2300 pound car, thats a recipe for speed any way you cut it. buy oh my .... a classic lesson in poor driving.

and its not even that the guy is bad at driving, everyone who starts really actually driving is pretty bad when they start, we were all there. its that he insists on thinking he actually is a good driver, and is perpetually in the so-called "cobra wars" becasue he runs in a class that a cobra replica with even worse drivers drive.

for example, i was driving a 944 with a 5.0L from the fox in it, so, roughly 200 hp less, about 600lbs more, and a total of at least 10 inches less tire, and beat him by something silly like 4 seconds. the 944 owner, beat him by at least 2 seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragu310 View Post
    I think this was a car thread at one point. Anyways I don't have the fastest car but I love it and it gets me where I'm going. 2012 Camaro SS.
    426 HP and when my warranty is up, I'll bump it up to at least 550 HP.

It never was about who is the fastest driver or who has the fastest car. Just about "who here drives a fast car" and THAT is a fast car! ("gets me where I'm going" is quite the understatement IMHO )
    Really like it!

for example, i was driving a 944 with a 5.0L from the fox in it, so, roughly 200 hp less, about 600lbs more, and a total of at least 10 inches less tire, and beat him by something silly like 4 seconds. the 944 owner, beat him by at least 2 seconds.
    Wait, your 944 has a 5liter swap? That's something worth posting!

Quote Originally Posted by flampaint View Post
    It never was about who is the fastest driver or who has the fastest car. Just about "who here drives a fast car" and THAT is a fast car! ("gets me where I'm going" is quite the understatement IMHO )
    Really like it!
    Thanks Flampaint!

Wait, your 944 has a 5liter swap? That's something worth posting!
    no, its a friends. fun car. actually slower than my turbo, but dat instant torque doe.

in the club its known as "the fastest slow car in the world" you will go out on a run with it, and think you've laid down this insane speed with it, and then look up at the clocks and go "seriously? so slow" its quite a challenge to modulate the throttle and not just drift the thing everywhere, and its non-abs, with a hydroboost setup for the brakes, so they are super prone to lock up without good petal control there too. SUCH an easy car to overdrive. which is why its such a good car to learn to drive with it. it will punish you for everything you do wrong, and reward you wonderfully every time you get it right.

its a sweet car, i very much enjoy driving it.

some pretty insane street driving here:

hes cornering in 4th most of the time, thats 100 mph in a s2000 ....
    Last edited by cockerpunk; 04-04-2016 at 10:45 AM.

some pretty STUPID street driving here:

hes cornering in 4th most of the time, thats 100 mph in a s2000 ....
    Fixed it for you.

As almost with anyone Ive messed around on the street.

But have come to realize the street is absolutely not the right place for that type of driving. Keep it on a Track.

Yup still fixing the damage from the last time I played on the street with my camaro.
    Quote Originally Posted by dano_____ View Post
    I keep forgetting to not feed my mags after midnight so they seem to multiply regularly.