Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Introducing The Deflator

yes

Fresh off the mill.

Big relief, I'm now certain I can do these on my VMC. Everything is looking good just need to fine tune a few of the tool paths and add a few to clean up some burrs. Hopefully I can get that done tomorrow, we'll see. For now I'm pretty stoked, in a few days we can move on to the Deflator machining.

Home made slug body !

You going to be selling them separately ?

Progress means I'm that much closer to a new body
    The user formally known as Lancecst.

Quote Originally Posted by going_home View Post
    You going to be selling them separately ?
    Yea, I'll do a body kit and a complete marker (or real close to one).

The body kit will include: proprietary detent, proprietary bolt spring cup, feed cup, sear pin and miscellaneous hardware.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Fresh off the mill.

Big relief, I'm now certain I can do these on my VMC. Everything is looking good just need to fine tune a few of the tool paths and add a few to clean up some burrs. Hopefully I can get that done tomorrow, we'll see. For now I'm pretty stoked, in a few days we can move on to the Deflator machining.
    So square! I love it. Can I buy it like that?

Someone may have already asked, but is there any reason this can't be pump milled?

Er wait, foolish question. It's unibody, so of course it won't be pump millable, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Sk8ermog View Post
    So square! I love it. Can I buy it like that?
    Not sure if you're kidding or not but I don't have a problem selling it as a slug body.

Not sure if you're kidding or not but I don't have a problem selling it as a slug body.
    firing video to show it works with paint?,
    this is your first public body from scratch.

Quote Originally Posted by zulubravo44 View Post
    Someone may have already asked, but is there any reason this can't be pump milled?

Er wait, foolish question. It's unibody, so of course it won't be pump millable, right?
    I've been thinking about that for awhile now and you're correct it can't be pump milled in the traditional sense. However I do believe I could do a pump version with some design changes.

This body is neither standard or a uni-body.

I've been thinking about that for awhile now and you're correct it can't be pump milled in the traditional sense. However I do believe I could do a pump version with some design changes.

uni body is a uni body, putting "hidden" in front of stuff doesn't make it special :P

Quote Originally Posted by knownothingmags View Post
    firing video to show it works with paint?,
    Not possible yet, no cut out for the valve assembly. That's in the next machining operation, this is where I ended my LONG a$$ day, patience grasshopper. Besides finishing the machining, there is a long list of concerns that need addressed before I start testing. I can do "real time" updates or sit on the updates until it's ready to ship.

this is your first public body from scratch.
    As far as difficulty goes this is less difficult than other stuff I've done. My biggest hang up initially was finding tooling to make it on a VMC rather than a lathe.

uni body is a uni body, putting "hidden" in front of stuff doesn't make it special :P
    You have no idea what you speak of.

You have no idea what you speak of.
    I know im just

Half kidding. You know I like my square guns . If you have a blank slate with these slugs then maybe another square body is in our future .

I know im just
    I guarantee you have never seen a design like this. It does not fit into either class standard or uni-body.

I'm holding off on showing the "hidden details" until I have a chance to test it and only because I don't want to argue the idea at this point. (lol) If it doesn't work, a few hours of re-design and I can switch to a standard uni-body, easy-cheesy-japaneesy.

Yeah I am liking that square body, put a square cram and jam, cut the bottom of frame to make it more compact and you have a damn nice sexy pistol.

Nicely done! Looking forward for the hidden details.

Well unfortunately I've committed myself to only one semi-auto marker, which has mostly your parts on it but also a recently received XMT carbon body.

If a pump-able deflator (har har) comes to fruition, I'd probably be on board for that though. Might need to work with knm to adapt the snap-on stock class adapter for the deflator if that happens.

Quote Originally Posted by zulubravo44 View Post
    Well unfortunately I've committed myself to only one semi-auto marker, which has mostly your parts on it but also a recently received XMT carbon body.

If a pump-able deflator (har har) comes to fruition, I'd probably be on board for that though. Might need to work with knm to adapt the snap-on stock class adapter for the deflator if that happens.
    When I develop my pump mag it will be complete so you won't have to source any parts.

Hang in there it's coming.

Update:

Making lots of progress, been tweaking both the Deflator design and the machining on the slug body. I've been less than happy with the quality of machining on the internals so I'm currently on my 3rd attempt to retool this project. Most of my third tool order is here as of today but I dont expect everything to arrive until Thursday or Friday of this week. I think I got it right this time, cross your fingers!

While waiting on tooling I've been dialing in the design and machining on The Deflator. I finished this body earlier today, I see at least two small design changes I think is necessary. First I want to taper the back (backwards) top and bottom of the valve, it looks a little wide from the back. Also, I'm not sold on the two horizontal lines on the side. To me it looks a little off, so I have a design idea that may fix it. Also the top two edges will have a heavier radius on the final machining.

This is not the feed tube we will be using, I just added that to complete the look for the pictures.

This body is not ready for testing, I just pulled it out of the recycling bin to test my machining programs for The Deflator. I'm not going to bother testing until I get the final slug body machining dialed in where I want it. This body will go in the trash as soon as I machine another.

This puts the size into perspective. At this point it looks like the Deflator will weigh a little less than the MM2k.
    Last edited by luke; 02-23-2016 at 09:52 PM.

I like the 2 horizontal lines on the sides. They add a little and kind of make the gun look longer.

I like them too, it just doesn't quite look right to me. I'm not going to remove them it just needs tweaked so it flows better top to bottom.

This body will go in the trash as soon as I machine another.
    Hermetically sealed garbage can being UPS'd.

Looking awesome!
    Maybe perhaps if you add a third horizontal line, or break them up into angled bars, similar to the vertical ones behind them. Will the final design still be so sharp at the front, or is there material there to shave off?

Quote Originally Posted by cortexparasite View Post
    Looking awesome! Maybe perhaps if you add a third horizontal line,
    I just tried moving the horizontal ones up, then added a third short one, looked like dog doo. I think I'm jumping the gun. I have tooling coming that will give a a heavier radius along the top edge that will fill the space that is bugging me.

Will the final design still be so sharp at the front, or is there material there to shave off?
    This is basically it. A heavier radius along the top will shorten the "sharp edge length" some. If I round the front heavily it will turn it into a fish mouth. I used the lower part of the body to transition the round FG to the body. I may add a 45* chamfer to the edge but it will be minimal. This was the look I was going for so I really don't what to make big changes to it.

looking good luke

keep up the good work

I know how it goes when operations do not cooperate, very frustrating at times
    CNC Programmer/Machinist
    Polarstar Engineering and Machine

Quote Originally Posted by ElPanda View Post
    looking good luke
    keep up the good work
    Thanks, just trying to keep it old school.

Quote Originally Posted by ElPanda View Post
    I know how it goes when operations do not cooperate, very frustrating at times
    Yea, I'm super picky with how clean the machining is, probably more so than the actual aesthetic design. You're one of the few that can appreciate what I mean when I say I've tooled this job three times, especially with everything being "long reach".

that ID work sounds like a huge PITA

esspecially if you are limited to a VMC

but looks like you are getting there

Have you tried gun drills for the bore? there not cheap but hold a great tolerance