Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Introducing The Deflator

Quote Originally Posted by renie View Post
    Have you tried gun drills for the bore? there not cheap but hold a great tolerance
    No, I've never heard of them. I've never worked in a machine shop so I'm still learning as I go, project by project. Each project I tackle presents something new I need to figure out.

I did research index drills but 6xD was to short, the they jump to 8xD which is too much and nothing in between. All my research never brought up gun drills which is a bummer at this point. I'm definitely going to look into them further, thanks for the heads up.

I've pretty much got it figured out now, I can do the machining to spec just working on the finish. I finally found the exact reamers I needed, which is dumb in hindsight, live and learn I guess. It probably wouldn't have been that big of a deal for anyone with actual experience in the trade but I'm just flying by the seat of my pants (still).

i've not used them personally as we sub ours out due to the type of material (Mainly Inconel) and Quantities but they do make them for VMC's as we looked into it but on the material we use, we would have to regrind after them every 2" cutting, and when the job is at least 7" long its not cost effective the boring company we use have on site gringing so no problem for them, but on soft materials they'd last for ages I think you can get insert type ones to but we were looking at solid carbide.

gun drills are good when you start getting crazy L/D ratios but they are designed for specialized machines with through tool coolant typically

the reason it likely never appeared in your searching is likely because it is so specialized, also manufacturers do not typically talk about it since alot of the machine and tool design principles as well as application tend to be trade secrets

finding a gun drill that you could use in a VMC effectively could prove expensive or time consuming, if its possible at all

not saying it cant be done, just to what degree do you want to suffer lol

but it seems like you are going alright so far so unless you really need to change it up I would say just keep doing what your are doing cause it looks like its working
    CNC Programmer/Machinist
    Polarstar Engineering and Machine

Yeah we looked at gun drills for use on our swiss turns, but they are pricey.

(Renie, ElPanda, psunitro) Thanks for the info but after two MAJOR fubar's yesterday I nailed it today on #5. As I mentioned before I tooled this job three times (The proverbial, throw "stuff" at the wall to see what sticks. lol) in the end all three failed in and of themselves, but finally got it with a combination of the three tool orders.

Anyway, onward we go.

I believe I have nailed down the final design for the Deflator. This body is not complete or usable. I was only testing the machining program for the Deflator so this is just a mock up for a pictures, it is accurate in how the body will look. I added some extra machining to reduce weight and help complete the design. I have no current plans for any more changes, pretty sick of messing with it, but I am pleased with the final design.

(Disregard the chatter marks on the tail end of the top surface, that will of course get straightened.)

I like the changes and am ready to throw money at you.
    The user formally known as Lancecst.

Quote Originally Posted by BLachance75 View Post
    I like the changes and am ready to throw money at you.
    I second that.

Almost there guys. I need to do some tweaking on the detent and we should be good to go. I'm not 100% good with the location, but even moving it a few thousands changes several factors that will need addressed. I want to stick with it and get it right as possible the first time. Once the tweaking is done I'll blow through the production PDQ.

Proprietary feedneck ?

Say it aint so

Quote Originally Posted by going_home View Post
    Proprietary feedneck ? Say it aint so
    That one is not mine, just used it for a mock up. However, this body kit will come with a Luke's Customs feedneck.

Also, I do plan on carrying them as a standard item on my website.
    Last edited by luke; 03-01-2016 at 08:49 PM.

Will they work on other AGD products ?

I'm kinda of torn between doing something different or going with the standard Angel thread, so it's still undecided. I have a few ideas but not sure what direction to take. Even if I do something different I still plan on making a standard Angel threaded feedneck for agd bodies.

How much for a body?

Looks great, really liking it.

I was hoping for something more, but this leaves me wanting something less blocky.

I do hope it goes well for you but i just do not see the love of this design. Still too thick for me.

With that, what does the weight of the body, in comparison to a ULE?

And, if you go proprietary, for the feedneck, then you are cutting yourself off of a whole market. If you do like Empire and either include a collar or at least offer one, then it might work. The best design would be a fixed collar on the gun(like all Empire & PE guns now) and a separate retrofit collar for use in other mag bodies. That is my opinion. Take it or leave it...

I really like the body. It reminds me a bit of the cars I loved back in high school. I think it has a nice retro-nostalgia cool.
    Makes me sad that I'm not in the market to spend that kind of money.
    best of luck with the final tweaking.

I like the old school look of it. To me it reminds me of how guns were milled back in the 90s when I first started playing.

The body and general setup looks fine to me.

I do like that mini vert.

Looks like an updated micromag to me. So honestly this is my favorite looking body I've seen produced on the aftermarket.

I have to agree though. The proprietary parts are my only concern. Mainly the detent. I like knowing there is a good chance parts will be around for years to come. All that said. I've generally not been one of they guys buying all the expensive bits. So my opinion doesn't matter very much.

I like it.........

Walker
    O.F.P.P.A. - OLD FARTS PAINTBALL PLAYERS ASSOCIATION
    When you wrap-up the day with beer and Bengay.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody View Post
    I was hoping for something more, but this leaves me wanting something less blocky.
    This will only be done in small numbers, I really never expected the design to be a huge success. It would be nice to sell some, but it is what it is. I don't have a passion for the modern 3D machined marker that customers love so much these these days but I am setup to do it. I have the machine and software and to be honest 3D programming is much easier and 90% FASTER than a traditional designs like the Deflator and probably uses 75% less tooling, that all adds up quick. My point is is would be easier for me to do 3D bodies than a design like this, I did this because it's what I like.

I do hope it goes well for you but i just do not see the love of this design. Still too thick for me.
    That's cool, I don't take offense to to the statement but the reality is, its not any thicker or wider than any other setup out there. It's a smidgen shorter than an RTP rail in the front of the thumb screw and longer behind. It's the same width of every mag body made because the internal requirements are the same across the board.

what does the weight of the body, in comparison to a ULE?
    Before I made changes the body, it weighed less that the MM2K shown below. Even though the body is larger it weighed less and I still have additional ULE milling to add, so the final numbers are not in.
    As far as the ULE body it will be hard to compete weight wise with a threaded tube. But even so you would have to include a rail for comparison. My sear pin weighs 50% less than the agd pin so I'm gaining. (lol, kidding of course)

And, if you go proprietary, for the feedneck, then you are cutting yourself off of a whole market. If you do like Empire and either include a collar or at least offer one, then it might work. The best design would be a fixed collar on the gun(like all Empire & PE guns now) and a separate retrofit collar for use in other mag bodies. That is my opinion. Take it or leave it...
    Exactly my own thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by blackdeath1k View Post
    Looks like an updated micromag to me.
    Exactly! This is what I wanted in the MM2K9 and why I chose this as my first body to manufacture. The concept credit goes to ao's nmib, I never could shake the idea but now I can move on.

So honestly this is my favorite looking body I've seen produced on the aftermarket.
    Thanks.

I have to agree though. The proprietary parts are my only concern. Mainly the detent. I like knowing there is a good chance parts will be around for years to come.
    I don't see that being an issue anytime soon, also the body can still be machined for Angel detents or any machinist can easily copy and make more. My design is very simple made with off the shelf parts with the exception of the detent its self. Even if I disappear I dont see it being a big issue.

How much for a body?
    I have not got that far yet but should know in a week or two.

Quote Originally Posted by BLachance75 View Post
    I like the old school look of it. To me it reminds me of how guns were milled back in the 90s when I first started playing.
    Me too, very few of the new 3D bodies strike a chord with me, that goes for any marker not just the AM. I do however really like the Evo Uni body.

The proprietary parts are my only concern. Mainly the detent. I like knowing there is a good chance parts will be around for years to come.
    Forgot to mention, the reason for changing the sear pin and detent is because over the years I have seen various posts where people have expressed their dislike to how the threaded sear pin and detents disrupt the flow of the body design. I have always agreed with the statements so I came up with this design, plus 95% of the parts I use can be purchased at you local hardware store or easily ordered online.

putting the radius cuts on the top front is a real nice touch as well as the slanted lines good work

Quote Originally Posted by renie View Post
    putting the radius cuts on the top front is a real nice touch as well as the slanted lines good work
    being the only radius cuts on there, they stand out a lot in the pictures. I can tell that they look a little different at various angles, but I keep looking at them and expecting angled flats/bevels. They do tie into the back though.

Coated in a light color, with some grunge in the ribs and a little leather on the foregrip, it could go sci-fi very easily.
    Last edited by Spider-TW; 03-02-2016 at 03:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-TW View Post
    being the only radius cuts on there, they stand out a lot in the pictures. I can tell that they look a little different at various angles, but I keep looking at them and expecting angled flats/bevels. They do tie into the back though.

Coated in a light color, with some grunge in the ribs and a little leather on the foregrip, it could go sci-fi very easily.
    This might help sort out what's going on, we do have flats, bevels, fillets and radius's >

Oh I'm liking this thing more and more..... Think my only dislike in looks is it being rt length and not micro length. That's a minor dislike.