Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Yo dawg i herd u liek...

Are those printed first strikes?

The green ones are. They're good enough for feed testing; the model is on Thingiverse although it may need to be scaled a little depending on printer to get it to the exact right size. They're more durable than the red commercial ones which are pretty fragile.

Anyways, it's kind of stupid how easy it is to draw these magwells. The hard part of these projects, as I've mentioned, isn't the magazine part -- it's having the right body to start off with in the first place.

Most of my time was spent figuring out the mag release. I agonized over this and then just finally took the spring out of a clicky pen and used that to reset the release.

The idea was I wanted the mag release to be actuated by my thumb. Which meant moving it to the "back" of the housing.

I'm not sure what the deal is with Tippmann folks, because their Model 98 adapter's mag release doesn't seem to match human anatomy. It's more like... if you had a dew claw, maybe that button release on top would make sense.
    "Accuracy by aiming."

Definitely not on the A-Team.

And uh, while I'm just randomly drawing Zeta magwells on stuff:

I had been playing with this idea in my head for a while, then I saw one of Haz Mat's videos and decided to give the idea a try.

What gun is that ?

Quote Originally Posted by going_home View Post
    What gun is that ?
    It's the Patent Pending NoGun (tm).

Actually it's a Q-loader pod with a Zetamag speedloader. Which implies 2 things:

1. It's pretty easy to print a totally custom mounting socket for a Q-loader.
    2. A Q-loader is capable of reloading magazines in the field. Pretty sure I could do it one handed, because you know how I hates to put my gun down. This would probably be against MF rules, but F those guys.

And before anybody asks: 100rds = 5 Zetamags, or about 14 tru-feeds. Thinkaboutit.

Finally took ol' Side Feedy to the field for firing/feed testing.

Everything worked except for one thing, and again, it wasn't the adapter's fault. The Zetamag detents are a little too aggressive and need to be sanded a bit, else the very first round occasionally gets hung up on it, even at full deflection. Once that first round makes out out, the others pop out just fine. All this... tends to indicate to me that the Zetamags aren't extensively tested against FSR's. Not a surprise.

Only tested with 5 rds each because you know, money. But the real testing is when the mag is near empty, when the pusher spring is weakest.

This was the first time I'd ever opened up a TPX mag and looked at the innards. I found their detent spring mechanism... humorous. Kind of sad actually.

I was worried about the stock TPX spring feeding FSR's as they're a little soft, but they work just fine. Most of the time players try to compensate for poorly made equipment by simply using more force instead of fixing or using better equipment.

And speaking of excuses, most conversions like this mention that they have difficulty loading if they don't pre-load rounds into the gun before inserting the mag.

That's clearly not the case with mine -- I can insert a mag into an empty gun and fire off every shot (plungers extend enough to push the last round into the chamber) without problems.

Again these kinds of excuses are really just a result of poor design/execution.

where are you at, with no snow?
    I want to test tooo. lol

Quote Originally Posted by knownothingmags View Post
    where are you at, with no snow?
    I want to test tooo. lol
    Down south, bro. Down south.

Hey uh... what's your take on PETG filaments?

Parts like this printed in PLA are a little fragile, but PETG looks like it might just be good enough. It's hard to get a read on how it is as a filament though because some people say it's easier to print with, some say it's harder. I put a spool on order; if I can make it work on my Play... things might get interesting...

Quote Originally Posted by GoatBoy View Post
    Down south, bro. Down south.

Hey uh... what's your take on PETG filaments?

Parts like this printed in PLA are a little fragile, but PETG looks like it might just be good enough. It's hard to get a read on how it is as a filament though because some people say it's easier to print with, some say it's harder. I put a spool on order; if I can make it work on my Play... things might get interesting...
    I hear good things a lot.
    I would try E3D edge material.

I know Goat isn't planning on selling these, so I don't consider this hijacking, but I wanted you guys to see this cool adapter I just came across.

http://www.adnpaintball.com/purchase.html

They are universal TIPX mag adapters that just fit into any feedneck. That obviously won't work with first-strikes, but I'm going to get one, lop off the feedneck, drill out the top, and use the existing screw holes to see if it will work on a rifle mag setup.
    I'm also pretty sure a little bit of fabrication could get this lined up perfectly with a warp body.
    Enjoy.

That is pretty cool.

Would you be able to modify a steel body and a barrel? if the bodies are too hard to find?

Quote Originally Posted by BiNumber3 View Post
    Would you be able to modify a steel body and a barrel? if the bodies are too hard to find?
    I'm not sure exactly what you mean, but on a different note:
    if you had a body that had an offset vert feed on the left (hopper right pf body with the feed cut off and vert feed welded on), this should line up directly over the body. I don't know if there are any of those out there, but it would be sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by bowcycle View Post
    I know Goat isn't planning on selling these, so I don't consider this hijacking, but I wanted you guys to see this cool adapter I just came across.

http://www.adnpaintball.com/purchase.html

They are universal TIPX mag adapters that just fit into any feedneck. That obviously won't work with first-strikes, but I'm going to get one, lop off the feedneck, drill out the top, and use the existing screw holes to see if it will work on a rifle mag setup.
    I'm also pretty sure a little bit of fabrication could get this lined up perfectly with a warp body.
    Enjoy.
    Ironically I've met and talked to the guy making these. Turns out we kind of coincidentally, independently have been doing a few similar things.

His stuff is intended to be much more durable than my 3d printed stuff.

As always, the devil's in the details of how you actually mount the thing to the body...