Thread: Regulator unscrews from Valve during use

Regulator unscrews from Valve during use

I recently acquired a minimag that has a problem with the reg unscrewing itself from the valve by simply shooting the gun. Each shot unscrews it a tiny fraction of an inch. After about 20-30 shots, the reg will have turned over 1/16" before the z-lock pin hits the side of the z-lock slot in the rail, preventing the reg from unscrewing any further. The reg and valve have matching serial numbers.
    Swapping out the o-ring that seals the reg to the valve did nothing to solve the problem. I tried swapping the reg with an old ANS reg from a different marker and the problem stopped. I put the minimag reg on another marker's valve and the problem also seems to have stopped. The minimag valve and reg just don't want to work with each other.
    This problem does not seem to affect how the gun shoots, but having to look at the misaligned minimag logo every time I go shooting with it is driving me nuts. I've never heard of this problem before. Is there anything I can do? Or did I buy a lemon?

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  25.0 KB

It's not uncommon. You would think it might affect the reg seat, but I could never find a real problem with it. On one marker I put some jb weld into the end of the z slot and let it get half hard. Then I installed the valve and made a pin impression. I took the valve out and let it set up. It's perfect all of the time now.

Cyco-Dude Guest
    this is common, and does not affect the gun, as you have noted. it's a cosmetic issue only.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost flanker View Post
    I recently acquired a minimag that has a problem with the reg unscrewing itself from the valve by simply shooting the gun. Each shot unscrews it a tiny fraction of an inch. After about 20-30 shots, the reg will have turned over 1/16" before the z-lock pin hits the side of the z-lock slot in the rail, preventing the reg from unscrewing any further. The reg and valve have matching serial numbers.
    Swapping out the o-ring that seals the reg to the valve did nothing to solve the problem. I tried swapping the reg with an old ANS reg from a different marker and the problem stopped. I put the minimag reg on another marker's valve and the problem also seems to have stopped. The minimag valve and reg just don't want to work with each other.
    This problem does not seem to affect how the gun shoots, but having to look at the misaligned minimag logo every time I go shooting with it is driving me nuts. I've never heard of this problem before. Is there anything I can do? Or did I buy a lemon?

Views: 55
Size:  25.0 KB
    put 1/2 drop of blue loctite on the threads in a dot shape and let it dry overnight before screwing the halves together.
    Email me for low prices on ALL AGD Products and more. tunaman5@verizon.net
    Tunamart

Thanks guys. I'll try both the loctite and the JB Weld ideas. I was hesitant about using loctite, but I suppose a drop won't make too difficult to open it back up again.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost flanker View Post
    Thanks guys. I'll try both the loctite and the JB Weld ideas. I was hesitant about using loctite, but I suppose a drop won't make too difficult to open it back up again.
    Use BLUE loctite. It is the low strength thread locker. Red is removeable with heat(what is used on co2 valves) and green is the permanent, you aren't going to loosen it without a lot of damage to something.

So get the blue loctite. Plus, loctite is a much less permanent and much less ugly mod than the JB Weld. Just saying...

Never had one do that before.

Cyco-Dude Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by going_home View Post
    Never had one do that before.
    you need more automags!

Quote Originally Posted by Cyco-Dude View Post
    you need more automags!
    Ha! Is that my problem? I need another paintball gun like an alcoholic needs another drink.
Views: 51
Size:  45.2 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  19.1 KB
    It's a disease! *cough cough* Daddy's very sick.

You really don't need to do anything if you don't mind that the letters don't line up. It won't affect the operation. Almost all automags experience this to some degree because there is a tiny bit of wiggle room in the z-lock slot. Some just have a bit more movement than others. I suspect it is more the rail than the valve, that is causing it. You could tighten up the z-lock slot a bit with some filler (JB weld or similar) on the right side of the slot to prevent movement in the rail. That way you wouldn't have to do anything to the valve itself.
    Except for the Automag in front, its usually the man behind the equipment that counts.

The misaligned logo really does bug me, and none of my other valves do that. I'll definitely be employing one or both methods to keep it from unscrewing.