Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone interested in a magfed body?

I will try to make this as straight forward as possible i wanted a bottom fed design but if it doesn't fit how I want it to I probably won't bother if I have to make a new frame that's no issue but it all had to look good as well
    Got man flu at the moment so don't expect anything too quick

Just so you see how I did it:
    I tried to go with the simplest method possible using the least technical equipment possible. I do have a machinist friend who is able to help me out, but I wanted to use him as little as possible.

Name:  IMG_2561.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  100.7 KB

I used a center-feed body with twistlock so I could drill straight down through the body and rail using my drill press. This made sure that everything would be aligned for feeding purposes.

this process destroyed the PIM, so I welded a new one in place over the twist-lock hole and drilled the rail out accordingly.

I now use a Doc's adapter for the breech and use one screw to hold the body and rail together and keep the Doc's adapter in place facing down. The length of that screw is critical.

The last problem to overcome was getting the balls to feed properly. The mag is pushing past 1/2" of rail that it's not intended for. Also, the force of the mag pushing into an empty chamber would crack the first ball every time. I finally learned to preload at least 1 ball into the chamber to keep from having a gooey mess down the barrel on the first shot.

After that, the ball stack has to be pretty precise.

Name:  IMG_2563.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  88.5 KB

Others may have more creative solutions, but mine was simply to glue a thick rubber pad on top of the pushers in each mag. The mags now only hold 9 balls each, but it works.

Best of luck with your designing.

Thanks for the input bowcycle
    I don't think there is going to be enough room for what I was thinking of I've started to draw up some models ill have a little play with them but I can see it as a no go tbh

I'm stationed overseas until June, but plan to do a little revision work on this mag when I get back.

I'm going to try turning the magwell around so I have more room for the frame. If there's room, I'll drill and tap new holes for the frame and go back to that idea of putting a trigger shoe on the sear and direct-activating it. It's been so long, I can't remember what all I tried when I was building it the first time.