Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Electronic markers?

Electronic markers?

After playing today. I'm starting to consider the idea more and more about buying an electro "tournament" style marker. Something with eyes yada yada yada. I know a handful that use Geo's and egos. But what markers tend to be the most reliable user friendly and cost effective? Yes this is a mag forum. But it appears a lot here use other markers as well. Or are at least around a lot more styles than a guy from southern IL.

2014 Axe.

Upgradable with Inception Designs bodies (a bolt upgrade is not needed).

Reliable, easy to maintain.

Quiet, very air efficient.

Low pressure operation.

And the big one, used ones are fairly inexpensive.

Note: get one with the Redline OLED board, much easier to change settings with a screen.

Isn't that what you have in the for sale section?

Cyco-Dude Guest
    axes, egos...pretty standard fare. you can find 08/09 egos for $300 or so.

HUmmmm. Guess I need to decide if I want to sell/trade my project marker then....
    Attached Images Attached Images  

GEO's are good as well, easy to maintain. My personal preference is single tube guns as I'm used to mags so the aiming point doesn't change too much.

The big thing I struggle with is finding a decent reliable electro that can be customized, but you won't lose your ass if you sell it.

I understand you'll lose your ass with any customized marker, and I love axes, but damn. $300 for a donor axe, $250 for an inception body, add ano to that and you still have a $300 axe.

Anyone have any insight into building an Evil Ehm to avoid this? It seems like those still fetch a grand on the used market, despite basically being a macdev cyborg and equivalent in design to an etek. Definitely still tournament level for an electro and simple.

I'm not to concerned with it being all that custom. I won't be getting rid of my old RT. And while not real custom it might as well be since nobody knows what they are since they are older than most players.

It's funny that my limited info had me thinking Geo or axe. And them appear to be 2 of the key options. I like the single tube idea for the same reason laku. I hate dealing with spyders. And the ego reminds me of that with the stacked setup. I lean more toward an axe because I really don't want a huge buy in. And the axe would be a lot closer to the flip value of what I would be getting rid of for the electro to take its place.

Quote Originally Posted by boo View Post
    The big thing I struggle with is finding a decent reliable electro that can be customized, but you won't lose your ass if you sell it.

I understand you'll lose your ass with any customized marker, and I love axes, but damn. $300 for a donor axe, $250 for an inception body, add ano to that and you still have a $300 axe.

Anyone have any insight into building an Evil Ehm to avoid this? It seems like those still fetch a grand on the used market, despite basically being a macdev cyborg and equivalent in design to an etek. Definitely still tournament level for an electro and simple.
    The days of flipping a gun, especially used for what you paid for or more are long gone unless you find someone who is well, stupid.

The great thing is, you can pick up an axe, use it and unless the old owner did something stupid(Pootie bolt, dicked with all the settings, etc and so forth), the guns will shoot and shoot and shoot. You do not need to do anything with them. You do not need an ID body, or Numech frame, or anything else. Sometimes you can find axes at $150-200. Remember, it just needs to shoot paint and be reliable. You don't need to make it a show piece.

Not a cyborg. More like a B2K(which was the first stack tubed electro design, but i digress), imho. Anyway. An Evil Ehm, is Viking that uses a Merlin extrusion(hence the the phonetic M name) for the body, all Viking internals, a frame of your choice, and total custom milling that you can design or allow DC help you with the choices. It is a total custom gun, not counting anno, that has a following. You generally either buy up someone's project or a completed gun, that people are asking for the money they put into it. So its kinda like having XMT mill a body, then sending it to Tuna to turn it into an Emag. It can get expensive real quick.

Quote Originally Posted by blackdeath1k View Post
    I'm not to concerned with it being all that custom. I won't be getting rid of my old RT. And while not real custom it might as well be since nobody knows what they are since they are older than most players.

It's funny that my limited info had me thinking Geo or axe. And them appear to be 2 of the key options. I like the single tube idea for the same reason laku. I hate dealing with spyders. And the ego reminds me of that with the stacked setup. I lean more toward an axe because I really don't want a huge buy in. And the axe would be a lot closer to the flip value of what I would be getting rid of for the electro to take its place.
    Hands down, the axe will suit you more than a geo, in that the axe shoots nearly the same as a Mag. You can buy a used axe for $200, freshen it up, use it for a year, then get $200 back out of it.

Isn't that what you have in the for sale section?
    I would have said that anyway.

I sold both LV1's and kept the Axes.

Quote Originally Posted by going_home View Post
    I would have said that anyway.

I sold both LV1's and kept the Axes.
    Sorry. That question was more a question of... Don't you have one of them for sale? I take it you pulled it off the market? I knew anytime electros came up axes and minis were considered sound markers that held there own in a nice price point.

Out of curiosity why do you say the axe suits my needs better than a used Geo? Simple buy in point? Or something else?

What about the Bob Long insight and Onslaught? They seem to be an excellent value on the used market if you want something a little different then an Axe (not that Axes are bad, just that everyone has one). Plus the Insight and Onslaught are available in some cool ano's.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody View Post
    Not a cyborg. More like a B2K(which was the first stack tubed electro design, but i digress), .
    The Cyborg was a Merlin extrusion as well, so Cyborg frames are popular for the conversion. Basically if you put a 2 liter and somehow retapped the lpr for an SCM the only thing that would differ from an evil ehm would be the cartridge ram of a Viking. Which, as cool as the ehms are, make it hard to justify the price considering Cyborgs go for under $150 these days.

I don't want to get off subject with the Axe I have for sale.

While it's true, for ease of maintenance, the Geo parallels the Axe, but unless you get a geo 3 or above they tend to be somewhat inefficient.

They seem to be a bit louder too depending your barrel.

Ah! Yah geo3 compared to an axe pro is a small price difference used. Let alone a geo3 compared to a normal axe.

Since I will be shopping used I will be at the mercy of the seller for ano colors. So that isn't a big factor here.

Guess I really need to decide if I want to pull the trigger and post my "finally functional" project marker for sale....

What barrel threading do these markers use. In all my net skimming I guess I've missed that.

i'll stick to my X mags until AGD comes out with something new.

Ah! Yah geo3 compared to an axe pro is a small price difference used. Let alone a geo3 compared to a normal axe.

Since I will be shopping used I will be at the mercy of the seller for ano colors. So that isn't a big factor here.

Guess I really need to decide if I want to pull the trigger and post my "finally functional" project marker for sale....

What barrel threading do these markers use. In all my net skimming I guess I've missed that.
    They all use autococker threading. Aside from the shocker and luxe that's all the new high end markers use.

Quote Originally Posted by vintage View Post
    i'll stick to my X mags until AGD comes out with something new.
    That's the rumor.....

I cringe to say this......but. Weight is actually also a factor. So an emag is out of the question. Over time I may pneu my old trusty RT. But that's farther down the road. My right rotator cuff is junk and I've been avoiding surgery for almost 10 years. Guess age is making all the abuse I've put my body thru catch up to me. All and all I really think I'm gonna put my above marker on the chopping block and try to flip it for a nice functional electro. My main RT will always be around though.

Resistance bands.

Cheap on ebay.

I tore my left one years ago.

You can bring it back to close to normal using resistance bands.

Quote Originally Posted by going_home View Post
    While it's true, for ease of maintenance, the Geo parallels the Axe, but unless you get a geo 3 or above they tend to be somewhat inefficient.
    Both are good reliable guns so either will be excellent choice. With GEO 2 you can alway buy IV core if the efficiency bothers you (probably won't, 68 tank will shoot around hopper and 5-6 pods). IV will bring it pretty much right on par with GEO 3.5 at around hopper and 10-12 pods.

I'm currently using GEO 3.5 as primary and 3.0 as backup for my tournament play.

I have a Geo 3.5 for tournaments, and I love it! I used a Dm13 before I got my Geo. The Geo is light and reliable, very easy to maintain and is my favourite-hands down.

Eh.... I like the price of the axe. But I know local players with Geo's. Based on some of the abuse they have taken I'm pretty impressed with them..... Decisions decisions. Guess untill I shed my project marker I can't afford to do anything.

I have found a 2.0 Geo package for what appears to be a good price. Guess I need to really look in to the big differences in the different Geo flavors

Quote Originally Posted by Laku View Post
    Both are good reliable guns so either will be excellent choice. With GEO 2 you can alway buy IV core if the efficiency bothers you (probably won't, 68 tank will shoot around hopper and 5-6 pods). IV will bring it pretty much right on par with GEO 3.5 at around hopper and 10-12 pods.

I'm currently using GEO 3.5 as primary and 3.0 as backup for my tournament play.
    A 2.x Geo with IV Core won't ever reach the efficiency of a 3.x with IV core. The main solenoid works completely differently between the two. Would you see efficiency and shot quality improvements on a Geo 2.x with the IV? Yes. As good as a 3.x with it? No. Jack's even said so and why.

That being said, if you can find a used Geo 3 and toss an IV core in, you have the same gun as the GSL/Geo 3.5 without the fancy milling or quick release back cap. I love my Geo3 just as much as my Axe.

Quote Originally Posted by Dayspring View Post
    A 2.x Geo with IV Core won't ever reach the efficiency of a 3.x with IV core. The main solenoid works completely differently between the two. Would you see efficiency and shot quality improvements on a Geo 2.x with the IV? Yes. As good as a 3.x with it? No. Jack's even said so and why.
    True. I can recall, now that you said it. Some how mixed it in my head with GEO 1.

At any rate the efficiency isn't that bad unless you carry loads of paint on the field.

if price is an issue then axe or mini gs. ergonomics are crap if you have big hands (I put nummech stuff on my axe). but you can get either for 2-250. smooth, quiet, efficient, fast.

any PE will be reliable and easy to maintain. geo 2's go you can find in the 300-450 range.

do NOT get an insight or onslaught unless you want to spend a good deal of time researching the in's and out's of maintenance and troubleshooting. you WILL have problems and will have to do regreasing/maintenance after every case of paint. also, not the smoothest guns I've ever shot. in my experience of bob long's, the g6r and victories were the best.

Love playing with my axe. Many of the same features mentioned above in previous comments. My two cents.......go with the best deal. Sounds like budget is a priority.

My hands are not large. I used a friend's mini a couple years ago. Nice little marker. Figure I'd prefer the axe over the mini.

Price is an issue in that I don't want to pay 200 extra just for a name. If there is a legit reason I will do it. I like the look of the Geo better. And I know more people that own them than the axe. But really it's a matter of what is the better overall marker per price point. I want a reliable fast marker that is light and easy to break down that will most likely have parts available for quite some time.

My hands are not large. I used a friend's mini a couple years ago. Nice little marker. Figure I'd prefer the axe over the mini.

Price is an issue in that I don't want to pay 200 extra just for a name. If there is a legit reason I will do it. I like the look of the Geo better. And I know more people that own them than the axe. But really it's a matter of what is the better overall marker per price point. I want a reliable fast marker that is light and easy to break down that will most likely have parts available for quite some time.
    Then both the Axe or Geo will cover that need.

Well if there is no real reason to go Geo then axe is deff the way to go based off buy in cost. Worst thing bout either of them is having to buy a new hpa tank for lower output pressure.