Thread: Resurrecting an old school mag

Resurrecting an old school mag

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum and didn't even know it existed til a few days ago. Awesome! Anyways, i have a classic mag that's about 20 years old, hasn't been used in about 10. Always been well maintained. I'm thinking of knocking the dust off it and getting it back on the field. Problem is since i stopped playing long ago, everybody has electro markers now, and my ole mag is gonna need some upgrades to keep up. I've done a little research on what's available nowadays, and while I'd love to drop a x valve in and call it a wrap, I'm trying to be more economical. So, the first thing i want to do is lighten the trigger pull. My understanding is the ULT is a crapshoot as far as working with the classic valve. I found that using an rt on/off with quad o ring achieves the same effect. Question 1...is this true? If so, is it plug and play, or are there any necessary modifications? Also do all rt on/offs come with the quad o ring from the AGD factory? Next i need to change the single trigger to a double. I have a benchmark 45 frame. Question 2....does anyone know of a double trigger that fits the benchmark frame? I would prefer an AGD factory blade style, but have no idea if it fits the benchmark. I'm also going to get a lvl 10 bolt kit. Last question....are there any major improvements I'm missing here? Any feedback is certainly appreciated.....I'm ready to show these youngsters how we did it back in the day!

Welcome...

The RT on/off is a drop in part in a classic valve. Email Tuna about what you need and what you are trying to do. He will sort you. ULTs do not work in a classic valve, even if it wae milled to accept it, they a crap shoot anyways.

A double trigger is a greats way to increase the RoF, but i do not like benchmark doubles. There are no aftermarket triggers that i know of. It is far easier and better to get an Intelliframe. No need to search for anything nor cutting your frame to fit anything.

The L10 should be the first & last upgrade you should need. No mention of a ULE body, but that is more for looks and barrel use than anything.

Awesome, thanks nobody! This tuna you speak of, how do i email him? And i looked into the ULE body....but for now i want to stay as economical as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by ffedmonson View Post
    Awesome, thanks nobody! This tuna you speak of, how do i email him? And i looked into the ULE body....but for now i want to stay as economical as possible.
    tunaman5@verizon.net
    Email me for low prices on ALL AGD Products and more. tunaman5@verizon.net
    Tunamart

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody View Post
    Welcome...

The RT on/off is a drop in part in a classic valve. Email Tuna about what you need and what you are trying to do. He will sort you. ULTs do not work in a classic valve, even if it wae milled to accept it, they a crap shoot anyways.

A double trigger is a greats way to increase the RoF, but i do not like benchmark doubles. There are no aftermarket triggers that i know of. It is far easier and better to get an Intelliframe. No need to search for anything nor cutting your frame to fit anything.

The L10 should be the first & last upgrade you should need. No mention of a ULE body, but that is more for looks and barrel use than anything.
    Seconded.

Ask Tuna, but I would stay off the quad o-rings. They don't hold up like the urethane or teflon o-rings, and the on/off pin length often needs to be adjusted when going from one type to the other.

Thanks guys.....e mailed tuna, but haven't heard back yet

Cyco-Dude Guest
    Hey guys, I'm new to the forum and didn't even know it existed til a few days ago. Awesome! Anyways, i have a classic mag that's about 20 years old, hasn't been used in about 10. Always been well maintained. I'm thinking of knocking the dust off it and getting it back on the field. Problem is since i stopped playing long ago, everybody has electro markers now, and my ole mag is gonna need some upgrades to keep up. I've done a little research on what's available nowadays, and while I'd love to drop a x valve in and call it a wrap, I'm trying to be more economical. So, the first thing i want to do is lighten the trigger pull. My understanding is the ULT is a crapshoot as far as working with the classic valve. I found that using an rt on/off with quad o ring achieves the same effect. Question 1...is this true? If so, is it plug and play, or are there any necessary modifications? Also do all rt on/offs come with the quad o ring from the AGD factory? Next i need to change the single trigger to a double. I have a benchmark 45 frame. Question 2....does anyone know of a double trigger that fits the benchmark frame? I would prefer an AGD factory blade style, but have no idea if it fits the benchmark. I'm also going to get a lvl 10 bolt kit. Last question....are there any major improvements I'm missing here? Any feedback is certainly appreciated.....I'm ready to show these youngsters how we did it back in the day!
    the quad o-rings were for the emag; an rt on/off will drop right in. i would recommend selling the benchmark single and picking up an intelliframe to be honest...don't cut the trigger guard to install a double trigger! it's technically not field legal due to insurance reasons...the intelliframe is a nicer option anyway.

ha, basically said the same thing nobody did...

Benchmarks only work with Benchmark Triggers (and a few other brands that used the same style), different geometry from AGD stuff, and most aftermarket triggers were based on AGD specs. And as mentioned, far better to buy an Intelliframe or similar (intellis are probably the cheapest option) and sell the uncut benchmark

Ok, I think you guys have me sold on the intelliframe. What would the benchmark sell for? It's also a built in drop forward, if that makes a difference. And about the quad o ring....I read that that is the biggest contributor to lightening the trigger when switching to a rt on/off? Still waiting to hear back from tuna, but it sounds like he knows all the ins and outs about that.

Also about the intelliframe.....do these come from the factory with trigger adjustment holes drilled? Non adjustable triggers were always my least favorite part about my mag.

Don't know what new ones have. But drilling the trigger is easy. I've done many. Currently have a Luke's trigger in my main mag.

Pretty much any aftermarket frame is going to have a much shorter pull than the Benchmark. There is not nearly as much play in an Intelliframe and I can't see a whole lot of need for a trigger stop in one.

You can probably buy a used Intelliframe for about what your Benchmark frame is worth (assuming you haven't cut the trigger guard). The nickel ones are usually cheaper, around $50-60 last I checked. I would guess your Benchmark frame is worth $45-60 depending on which variation you have (the ones with "wings" at the top will be worth less than flat-topped ones since they will only fit an AM/MM rail and not the RTP rails).

I personally don't see the need for a level ten upgrade on a classic valve, just one more thing to mess with. If you have been shooting a Mag for 20 years then you probably know how to pull the trigger by now. Last two times I played my gun was the only one out of my friends that didn't break paint...that was with a circa 1999 level 7 classic valve and two friends with DM12 and a PMR.
    Last edited by paint magnet; 04-27-2016 at 07:51 PM.

Funny you would mention that....I used the original frame for years and don't remember ever chopping paint. After switching to the benchmark, I chopped paint all the time, and didn't really think about it at the time. Never really loved the benchmark, just got it cause it was what my buddies had at the time. Always kinda felt funny to me. Sounds like the shorter pull of the intelliframe will be quite beneficial to me!

Quote Originally Posted by paint magnet View Post
    I personally don't see the need for a level ten upgrade on a classic valve, just one more thing to mess with. If you have been shooting a Mag for 20 years then you probably know how to pull the trigger by now. Last two times I played my gun was the only one out of my friends that didn't break paint...that was with a circa 1999 level 7 classic valve and two friends with DM12 and a PMR.
    The L10 in any valve(except for a pump mag, of course) is a wise investment. Regardless of how long you have had or shot it, a ball only needs to hang up, whether its by the loader, bad detents, dirt in the feedneck/breech area or a gremlin; a L10 will PREVENT a chop.

Also, when using a double trigger over a single, you have mechanic leverage, making the pull much easier, thus allowing for a much quicker pull. Your RoF will increase. Having a L10 in your gun is a wise decision to have, especially if its your only Mag.

Funny you would mention that....I used the original frame for years and don't remember ever chopping paint. After switching to the benchmark, I chopped paint all the time, and didn't really think about it at the time. Never really loved the benchmark, just got it cause it was what my buddies had at the time. Always kinda felt funny to me. Sounds like the shorter pull of the intelliframe will be quite beneficial to me!
    Its not necessarily shorter(but i do not have a benchmark frame to compare), but there is less slop, a better safety(i truly hate the way the safety is on a benchmark. As it will always engage when you don't want or need it to) and a better feel.

The AGD spec frames have a shorter pull than the Benchmarks (much more noticeable on the double trigger frames) from what I remember.

Hey guys....thanks for all the useful information! I emailed tuna 2 days ago and still haven't heard back from him. Triple checked the address....I'm guessing he's a pretty busy guy. Is there a better way too contact him?

Hey guys....thanks for all the useful information! I emailed tuna 2 days ago and still haven't heard back from him. Triple checked the address....I'm guessing he's a pretty busy guy. Is there a better way too contact him?
    As far as I know it's not his day job so response times may vary. Just hang in there, he'll take care of you. You can of course also try to pm him here in the forum.

Replied. All jammed up here again. Sorry for the delay.

The only thing you can say that is bad is the reply times. Yes, it isn't his day job, plus you have egeryone with a mag emailing him. 200, 300 replies a day sometimes. But the few things you can count on are: he wants to help you, he wants to get you the best thing for you, and he will strive to get your mags back to running the proper way.

Also, there is an annual game coming up in June that celebrates all things mags. Named in honor of Tuna. If you are close to NJ, it is sometimes worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by BiNumber3 View Post
    The AGD spec frames have a shorter pull than the Benchmarks (much more noticeable on the double trigger frames) from what I remember.
    I'm pretty sure it's from that little circle cutout on the back of the benchmark trigger where the trigger rod rides.

He got back to me, thanks for the help guys....I'm in Indiana, so jersey might be a little out of my range though lol. Is This tuna all? Is it every year? Would definitely love to make it sometime

I'm in Indiana too. Where do you play? Down south is pretty baron, but there's tons of great fields up north.

I'm right across the border from Mt Vernon IN in IL. There is nothing over here

Oh awesome! I live in Muncie, the closest field is in Anderson, white River paintball....ever been? It's pretty sweet, they have 13 different fields, including and indoor. Open year round

I'm playing this weekend right off i70 on rt1 in IL.

Played at white river in there d day game a couple years ago. Field were phenomenal. Paint was horrible at that game. Would love to go back.

It really is a nice place, I'm thinking of buying a yearlong family membership. Took my boys 2 weeks ago for their first time. Now they're hooked lol....it's what prompted me to get this sweet ass mag back in working order.

Ha-ha. There memberships might not be bad. There walk on costs are horrible. I love my RT. It's all I've used for a LONG time. Just now bought my first non mag since 94. And first electric gun ever.

Cyco-Dude Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobody View Post
    Its not necessarily shorter(but i do not have a benchmark frame to compare), but there is less slop, a better safety(i truly hate the way the safety is on a benchmark. As it will always engage when you don't want or need it to) and a better feel.
    yeah, it's shorter. or rather, the benchmark is longer than agd (and agd spec) frames.

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-TW View Post
    I'm pretty sure it's from that little circle cutout on the back of the benchmark trigger where the trigger rod rides.
    it's because the sear rod is up higher, much closer to the trigger pivot point than on agd frames. this gives the frame a lighter, but longer, trigger pull compared to agd frames (which are shorter, but stiffer). i think an intelliframe with an rt on/off gives you the best of both worlds.

Yeah, walk on was rough. 350 bucks for the 3 of us, after paint and everything all in. For 550 I can get a year membership for four people, everything included but paint, which they give a discount on for members.
    I've never even shot an rt! The only marker I've ever owned is my classic mag. I've loved it so much from day one that I never wanted a different one. I'm still holding out on the electronic guns. I just don't feel it....think it takes away from the game. Yeah, it allows you to shoot really fast, but there's something to be said about a player who can still kick ass with a mechanical gun. There's so much more to the game than shooting fast. They may be able to shoot 30 bps at me, but if I'm landing my first shot that they never see coming.....