Thread: Level 5 or 7?

Level 5 or 7?

I have a dumb question that has probably been answered a hundred times here but I can't find it for sure. I have a 1992 Automag with a power feed, just trying to confirm if it is a level 5 or level 7 setup. It is stamped with the "A.I.R" label and has the foamie bolt, but I've seen pictures of what is supposed to be a level 5 that looks just like it. Any way to tell for sure by serial number or something else? Thanks

The power feed was a level 7 upgrade. So as long as the body and valve were kept together, it should all be level 7.

The most obvious valve change was that a level 7 power tube screws into the valve body. The level 5 power tube slides in and is retained by a big snap ring or cir-clip.

The level 7 upgrade left the metal frame on the existing level 5s.

Crown pointing on plain level 5 barrels was not anodized when upgraded to level 7.

Thanks, could I get one of level 10 bolts for this valve, I hear they are good for not shearing balls and I used to keep loosing the foam on the level 7 bolt

Yes, the level 10 bolt works on all of the valves. They are the best upgrade available to any mag.
    Except for the Automag in front, its usually the man behind the equipment that counts.

Quote Originally Posted by Coby View Post
    Thanks, could I get one of level 10 bolts for this valve, I hear they are good for not shearing balls and I used to keep loosing the foam on the level 7 bolt
    The level 10 is a foamie bolt. The first thing for foamies is cleaning the old glue off and degreasing the bolt, prior to putting any glue in there.

Once you get the hang of tuning a level 10 bolt, it's hard to justify a level 7 bolt. You don't have to mess with a level 10 often, unless you have a few, or more.

Check the power feed plug! If it is a flat back (no finger tab) of that era, it is definitely evil. There were some with the finger tab that had a flat spot on the inside face as well.

Ooo, it appears I have to old PF plug. After a little digging it appears I do have a level 7 foamie bolt, so I guess I will get a level 10 bolt kit and a new power feed plug. Do I need a bolt kit or can I just get the Lvl 10 bolt and stick it on a level 7 valve? Thanks for the info
    Last edited by Coby; 05-06-2016 at 02:07 PM.

You will need to get a bolt kit. The lvl10 kit replaced more then just the bolt.