Thread: First day with (my) new Automag tomorrow. Quick maintenance question.

First day with (my) new Automag tomorrow. Quick maintenance question.

So I've posted a few basic questions about the Minimag I picked up of CL a few weeks ago. Finally making it out to the field tomorrow and I'm really looking forward to using it. From what I can tell without a chrono, it's got a good first few shots but velocity drops off. I've read regulator seal, so I'm gonna swap that out. Beyond that, should I change ALL the O rings? I have the parts kit, so I can do it if need be. Some seem to think better safe than sorry, some seem to say if it ain't broke don't fix it. Visually they appear ok, but of course....it's hard to really tell.

Ideally when I buy anything like this used I would at the very least open it up. Clean and check everything. You don't really know anything about the item except what you have physically witnessed. If I had any issues at all I'd personally buy a OE parts kit and replace everything. That way you know exactly where it sits.

Now if you open it up and all seals look to be brand new. Then I'd be a lot less skeptical.

Well, they did look pretty good for the most part, but the main, big fat O ring that seals the back reg section to the on/off body part of the valve....yeah, it just broke right apart. Soooooo good as they looked...I changed 'em all. Only thing that didn't seem to take was the o ring behind the power tube spacer. Had a slight but persistent leak unless the trigger was held down. Per an old YouTube vid with Tom Kaye pointing me that o ring, I changed it back to the old one and the problem stopped. SEEMS ok for now, so I'll report back and let you guys know how it goes tomorrow!

So no go today. ....major leak between the reg body and on/off body. Did this last night too, but I lubed up that o ring real good and then it was fine. First thing this AM at the field....major leak. Didn't have time to work on it, grabbed the resurrection and started playing. Had limited numbers at the field, didn't want them to have to wait on me. ....will do some reading and see what I can find.

Is it a classic valve or a RT/retro/x valve? I ask because the only time I've ever seen issues like that is when the Orings on the main reg pin that runs thru the center of a retro valve went bad. Just odd that the body oring that basically lasts forever is causing problems. That leads me to believe the real problem is something else.

In cross checking posts. I assume it's a stock minimag valve. Hmmmmmmmm. Been a while since I had a classic valve. But I sure don't remember any issues ever with the main body Oring on a classic valve.
    Last edited by blackdeath1k; 05-14-2016 at 01:55 PM.

Yeah....it's a classic/minimag valve. ...and to be clear, I'm not sure exactly which O ring is causing the issue. All I know it I can feel air and see oil residue between the two halves when it's gassed up.

UPDATE: ....so I gassed it up last night, and no leaks, and it cycled perfectly. WTF? ...the two times it DID leak, I could fire the gun....but obviously losing tons of pressure. I mean it's a BIG leak, not a slow hiss. Anyhow...pulled the valve out this AM, inpspected, looked fine. Put it back in and gassed it up. No problems. Honestly, I have no idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Abubaca View Post
    Yeah....it's a classic/minimag valve. ...and to be clear, I'm not sure exactly which O ring is causing the issue. All I know it I can feel air and see oil residue between the two halves when it's gassed up.

UPDATE: ....so I gassed it up last night, and no leaks, and it cycled perfectly. WTF? ...the two times it DID leak, I could fire the gun....but obviously losing tons of pressure. I mean it's a BIG leak, not a slow hiss. Anyhow...pulled the valve out this AM, inpspected, looked fine. Put it back in and gassed it up. No problems. Honestly, I have no idea.
    Do you have dogs or cats in your house? Human hair too. But pet hair tends to be abundant due to my 3 cats. I had a bad leak on one Oring a few weeks ago. It was simply a cat hair got on it during re assembly.

Quote Originally Posted by blackdeath1k View Post
    Do you have dogs or cats in your house? Human hair too. But pet hair tends to be abundant due to my 3 cats. I had a bad leak on one Oring a few weeks ago. It was simply a cat hair got on it during re assembly.
    Would that be considered cat scratch fever ?

Dirt on an oring is the usual culprit if all the orings are new, unless you dinged one during the change. That is rare, so I would put money on a piece of dirt. The leak between the halves is fairly rare with that fat oring. Take it off and inspect it for blemishes and to see if there is a piece of dirt stuck in it. Clean the surfaces it comes in contact with and make sure there are no burrs.

Your powertube leak is probably not all the fault of the oring. It may have some slight differences from the original one that was in there, which is why it leaks when the original one didn't, but I suspect that the leak is actually occuring because your powertube spacer is too long. Even the original oring you have installed may develop a periodic leak after a while as the sear wears a bit more. Keep an eye on it.
    Except for the Automag in front, its usually the man behind the equipment that counts.

I was gonna play this weekend, but looks like it's gonna rain. Gassed it up again, and once again, no leaks. Not complaining of course!!!!!!! ...one thing, and I can't see how it would matter, but to be scientifically open about what's going on......both times it leaked, I had the tank on, and the CP on/off OFF. Then I turned it on, which would gas the gun up slowly, right? Every other time I just had it on when I put the tank on, so practically immediate gas up. Not sure if that's significant.

I always gas my gun up with the trigger pulled in. Then release it to surge the dump chamber. If I air it up without surging the dump chamber it normally leaks until I fire it. Or it clicks and sets the bolt on its own.

The front powertube oring is probably just barely making contact with the back of the bolt stem. The high impulse pressure hitting the powertube oring seats it quickly with more of a jolt. A slow increase gradually pushes it in place, but may not seat it hard against the sealing surface right away. If you want good consistent results when airing up a mag, hold the trigger when turning on the air. Then quickly release the trigger. The air rushing into the front chamber will seal all the front orings.

I still contend that your powertube spacer is too long. The powertube leak during air up is another indication. If you don't have a shorter one, it wouldn't hurt to sand a bit off one end of the one you have. You can do that by rubbing it on a piece of sandpaper that is laying flat on a flat surface. If you happen to get it too short, you can always add a level 10 shim to lengthen it again.

I'd just order spacer kit from Tuna.

Or if you wan't to have just one (Don't know, but worth asking Tuna as well. He might sell them separately.) you can also get them used from Bacci http://www.baccipaintball.com/parts/...ube-parts.html

Quote Originally Posted by Laku View Post
    I'd just order spacer kit from Tuna.

Or if you wan't to have just one (Don't know, but worth asking Tuna as well. He might sell them separately.) you can also get them used from Bacci http://www.baccipaintball.com/parts/...ube-parts.html
    Just tell me which one you have in there now and I'll send you one shorter.
    Email me for low prices on ALL AGD Products and more. tunaman5@verizon.net
    Tunamart

Cyco-Dude Guest
    leak between two valve halves...fat o-ring is not sealing. you can feel how well it seals if the regulator seat is out and you screw the two halves together. there should be some resistance as they are screwed together. if there is none, then the o-ring is not fat enough to seal. either try a different o-ring, or get some dow 55 to swell it.