Thread: I guess I'm going to paintball again. Crossover XVR thoughts?

I guess I'm going to paintball again. Crossover XVR thoughts?

Welp, haven't paintballed since 2012, and before that since 2008. Deployments, school and limited funds hurt....but it was mostly because of the horrible taste of paintball I got back in 2008. The blatant, rampant cheating I was able to observe while standing on the airball field sidelines, needless overshooting (10+ hits), and a general lack of casual fun and brotherhood that I found when I started in 1999.

Since then I've finished school, started a career (and family) and got the evil evil paintball itch again.

I just ordered myself my first non-automag primary gun since 2003. Ordered a Tippmann Crossover XVR (kinda reminded me of an E-Mag <3 ), hopper, tank, and barrel kit....my plan is to start just doing recreational big game scenario type events. After about a $600 internet spending spree, all my goodies are on the way I can't tell you guys how excited I am. More pics will be posted when it's all assembled.

Sooo, over the past few years, any big changes or trends I need to be aware of? And any thoughts on the XVR? Really looking forward to using it. I've been trying to find out how it feels to shoot in mech mode but I haven't found any online descriptions of it.

Name:  s-l1600.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  81.7 KBName:  jj-edge-elt-a5-3__01192.1391538527.500.699.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  36.4 KBName:  31Dtp6RQBaL.jpg
Views: 218
Size:  15.9 KB

The Tippmann is real hit or miss on the use. Some like it others not so much. From what i heard, the trigger pull is exceedingly hard and long. So its not very good. Any reason why not go with a nice classic mag with a L10? You can't beat the anti-chop capabilities nor the ease of use.

The hammerhead kit(hard to tell by the pics) is not a very good kit, IMO. I guess you like it, i hope you do.

The loader, again from what i heard, very loud and not the greatest. Till you need a forcefeed, a revy is still hard to beat.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody View Post
    The Tippmann is real hit or miss on the use. Some like it others not so much. From what i heard, the trigger pull is exceedingly hard and long. So its not very good. Any reason why not go with a nice classic mag with a L10? You can't beat the anti-chop capabilities nor the ease of use.

The hammerhead kit(hard to tell by the pics) is not a very good kit, IMO. I guess you like it, i hope you do.

The loader, again from what i heard, very loud and not the greatest. Till you need a forcefeed, a revy is still hard to beat.

Thanks for the info.

I've heard the tippmann trigger can be improved quite a bit by removing a spring behind it, I might do that if need be, we'll see.

I read mostly positive reviews on the loader, and it was on sale for $40, so if it disappoints it won't be a huge loss. My trigger speed is average at best and I don't shoot long ropes, so I don't think I'd see a lot of benefit by getting a really high end hopper. But if this lets me down, I still got an old 12v Revy in the bag

Nope, not a hammerhead. It's a J&J edge kit I got on the cheap. Kinda wish I would've gotten a Freak system just for it's modularity, but I'm not ready to spend 120-150 on it yet.

I thought about possibly returning to the mag; I've had 5 or 6 since 02' or '03, but my last 2 Xvalves were a nightmare with bolt stick. No matter what combination of shims/spring/lube/powertube tip I used, it always gave me issues bolt stick eventually. I read the guides on here and it still never quite solved the issue for me. If I was able to get over that, I'd probably be bragging about my new mag that I got.

I'd say hopper technology and size / ease of maintenance / reliability of modern electros is mainly it. By 2012 most were already using the preset tanks and force fed hoppers. To me a revvy is still the only way to go with non force fed. But thats just personal opinion. As far as force fed. I've never had any real issues with my halo 2 which was pretty cheap. But I love my rotor due to how easy it is to dismantle. And at 70 shipped on eBay that's the rout I would steer people. Have fun with the marker. I've never been a big fan of Tipman markers. Personally had 3 prolites back in the mid 90s that didn't work right. And I see a lot of the newer milsim style Tipman markers being worked on at the fields. They are just over complicated to me. Personally I'm a fan of simplicity. Mags in the mech world. Axes and Geo's in the electro world.

Welcome back to the sport. It sounds like you left for the same reasons I did back in 2002/2003. Some has changed. Some hasn't. My new mentality with blatent cheaters is to tick them off by blatantly overshooting them when they screw up. Otherwise as soon as they say out or raise there hand it's dead man walking time. Big games are nice due to the overly spread out playing fields. I do the missions just to help as a team. But really. Scenario and big games are drawing my focus due to the play area and time.

Go forth with your gear and have fun !

Quote Originally Posted by going_home View Post

^ this...welcome back

Do you want twins? Because thats how you get twins.

This is awesome. Seems like a lot of people are starting to play again. For a while I was afraid airsoft was going to put paintball out of commission. Go get some dude.

Thanks, guys.

And blackdeath, it sounds like we're of the same cloth. The last time I played was at a scenario and it was the best time I had, for exactly the reason you described. Plenty of time/room to maneuver or ambush, some great gun fights and lots of stories came out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Warwitch View Post
    Do you want twins? Because thats how you get twins.
    My offsprings ages are 23, 27, 33 .

I quit a long time ago.

Quick question: I have a Vforce Grill mask that I bought in 2012....does the fogging resistance worsen with time or should the lens be fine?

WHat this old coot said:

Enjoy and welcome back.

Quote Originally Posted by dahoeb View Post
    Quick question: I have a Vforce Grill mask that I bought in 2012....does the fogging resistance worsen with time or should the lens be fine?
    I would replace the lenses reguardless. At least last i heard paint degrades the integrity of the lenses over time. Personally i want to keep my sight and i consider it a well placed investment.

Quote Originally Posted by dahoeb View Post
    I've probably had my Grills that long and they dont fog but I have a thermal (double) lens.

Get a new lense. Period...

The lense might look fi.e, but do you want a shot to shatter the lense possibly damaging your eyes cause you are too cheap to replace a 4 year old lense?

Safety ahould always be first.

I picked up a Crossover pretty early on when they came out and really enjoy it. Took the spring out of the rigger and makes a world of difference, not sure what they were thinking. The trigger can be worked with to where you can shoot pretty fast. For barrel I just went with empire's superfreak kit and has worked well.

Ive always been intrigued by the Crossover.. I wonder how it would be if I put a Predator board in one

You can put a predator board in anything, wasn't that their slogan?

Ok, I got the marker in the mail last week. The thing had paint in every corner, edge, nook and crannie. Kinda irritated me. In fact, a lot of the markers I saw posted on Ebay and PBN were still covered in paint; these people aren't even bothering to give the guns a basic wipe down before putting them up for auction. Just laziness. Kind of insulting to the customer. Anyways, I wiped it down, pulled out the guts, gave it a thorough cleaning and re-lubed everything. The eyes were probably not functioning for the last user, they were completely covered in dried, gooey paint. Internally, the valve assembly (if thats what they call it on the crossover), was about as easy to work with as a 'mag. They felt like long lost cousins. Both felt rugged and engineered for the user.

I removed the trigger spring and I'd say I have zero complaints about the trigger or it's feel. No side - side play. I think it's in that nice middle ground that I was looking for.... soft and short enough to walk, but responsive and long enough to fire normally with a good, quick rhythm. I doubt I'll be making many adjustments to that.

I removed the ASA Reg in favor of the inline CP. Put on a small drop forward, got new grips on the way to replace the torn up ones, and ordered the TechT HE bolt. Below is the progress so far. The valve assembly is still removed, when I get the new bolt, I'll finish putting Humpty back together again. Based off the forum's input, I'll be saving myself some money and just using my 12v Revy for awhile. If that gives me issues, I'll probably move up to the Empire Halo in a few months.

Name:  thumbnail_IMG_2095.jpg
Views: 207
Size:  136.8 KB

Oh, and the J&J Edge kit appears to be pretty nice. I like the porting, it's got a beautiful, mirror-like finish for the honing; I see no reason that it won't perform as well as any other nice barrel kit out there. I wish the control bores (whatever they call them) were about an inch longer, but otherwise, I think they're great quality barrels. I also kinda like the fact that the kit came with 12in, 14in, and 16in barrel tips. I'm using 14in for now, but I like having the choice to move down to 12in depending on my mood and what I'm going for.

A part of me still wishes I got the freak kit just because it would save me money if I ever decided to get another gun (just buy 1 new back instead of a new kit).

The VMAX 2 has been my favorite loader to date. It's so quiet I can barely hear it, batteries last a long time and it has never broken paint. Super light and super easy to clean. Only downsides I can tell are that it's feedrate is not that great (somewhere in between a Revvy and Halo) and the lid can be a little frustrating (it has to be pushed forward then up to open). Definitely my first choice for a recball loader, especially at $40. Maybe the first generation ones were the ones to give it a bad reputation?

FYI my other hoppers were a 16 year old Xboard Revolution, Ricochet Apache, and a Halo B.
    My feedback

Made in USA - it matters.