Thread: Whats a good air tank these days

Whats a good air tank these days

So after 15 years my beloved Nitroduck tank lost its life. Been dreading this day. The only good to come out of it is that the tank is now back at the shop who had their logo printed in it. A small custom run they did many years ago. I was the only one they knew of with on still. I did keep my even older PMI 3K reg.

Now what is the best tank these days.
    A couple must haves.
    • Screw in style. (30+ guns, 1 tank)
    • Output right around 800-850. Since I need to use it on multiple guns
    • Approx size of a 3k/68. Since thats what my guns are setup for.
    Quote Originally Posted by dano_____ View Post
    I keep forgetting to not feed my mags after midnight so they seem to multiply regularly.

68/4500 Ninja superlight is almost the size of a 45ci.

I have that and a 90 SL.

I'll second the Ninja 68/4500 SL... I use mine for anything from a Phantom to a Mag...

Walker
    O.F.P.P.A. - OLD FARTS PAINTBALL PLAYERS ASSOCIATION
    When you wrap-up the day with beer and Bengay.

love my SL ninja tanks. the only issue I've had is that not all my on/off asa's like the ball valve.

Quote Originally Posted by capt spank View Post
    love my SL ninja tanks. the only issue I've had is that not all my on/off asa's like the ball valve.
    You're not holding your mouth right.

But seriously, I found that once I air up the gun I just leave it aired up all day, instead of degassing after every game.

Quote Originally Posted by going_home View Post
    You're not holding your mouth right.

But seriously, I found that once I air up the gun I just leave it aired up all day, instead of degassing after every game.

that's not the issue. some on/off's don't depress the ball valve all the way, even if fully engaged. so it's only half open. in other cases, the tank sits completely flush against the brass in the asa so the tank has to be backed out. in one situation the pin in the asa was too long and I had to shave it down. had no issues with any other tank I've owned, including ninja tanks with the old pin valve. the asa's I've had trouble with are bob longs and the stock ressi/sniper lever asa.

Cyco-Dude Guest
    eh, i'd get a 77 sl over a 68 sl...at least that way you can use normal 68 covers. the 77 sl is ~1/2" longer than the old 68, and the 68 sl is ~1/2" shorter (and you can't use 68 or just about any 45 covers for it...it's a pain in the ass size for covers). also, the pro v2 reg is ~1/4" longer than the standard adjustable reg. the ball valve is not as good as the old pin valve, in my opinion, but works just fine with custom products, new designz and planet eclipse on/off asas.

although you can just get the non-sl tank and save some money. any tank with a normal hp reg and a steel bonnet should be ok, really. i don't know how long a 3k/68 tank is, so i can't recommend anything based on size. here is a quick comparisonof the ninja 68, 68 sl and 77 sl tanks though if that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by capt spank View Post
    For almost all guns set the reg at low pressure, remove the shims, and this will solve the Asa activation issues.

As mentioned with the sniper and resurrection Asa you have to back it out just a bit due to the large hex but pin holder and allow the air to flow

Quote Originally Posted by cougar20th View Post
    So after 15 years my beloved Nitroduck tank lost its life. Been dreading this day. The only good to come out of it is that the tank is now back at the shop who had their logo printed in it. A small custom run they did many years ago. I was the only one they knew of with on still. I did keep my even older PMI 3K reg.

Now what is the best tank these days.
    A couple must haves.
    • Screw in style. (30+ guns, 1 tank)
    • Output right around 800-850. Since I need to use it on multiple guns
    • Approx size of a 3k/68. Since thats what my guns are setup for.
    My vote is for a ninja system

we have had this discussion several times on AO you may want to scroll back thru the old posts.

empire is also making a SL style tank.

I have a Ninja SL 68/4500, and will agree here with the masses.

The only issue I had with it is it doesn't seem to like my POPS asa's. To get it to engage, I had to have shims removed which bring its output down to around 450.

Quote Originally Posted by ninjapaintball View Post
    For almost all guns set the reg at low pressure, remove the shims, and this will solve the Asa activation issues.

As mentioned with the sniper and resurrection Asa you have to back it out just a bit due to the large hex but pin holder and allow the air to flow
    For an Automag, you can't set the reg at low pressure. In the event you're using an Automag and one of the ASAs that don't like the ball valve, your only option is to forego the ball valve altogether. At that point you have to decide whether the new Ninja reg is more important than the ASA of your choice. You can either swap out the ASA, or swap out the new ball-valve reg for something else.

I thought Ninja was still making a regulator with the pin valve, but a quick view of the website indicates that all new regulators are the ball-valve type. Good thing I use and love CP on/off ASAs.

Quote Originally Posted by captian pinky View Post
    empire is also making a SL style tank.
    Empire Ultra F5 tank. There's also a new tank called the First Strike Hero, but it's not on the same playing field as the Ninja SL or the Empire Ultra F5 when it comes to weight. But it does not have an expiration after 15 years like all other carbon wrapped tanks either (still has the 5-year hydro cycle though).

Pretty sure you can still get the standard output pin valve regs on a tank from them, the rep has posted in this thread.

Pretty sure you can still get the standard output pin valve regs on a tank from them, the rep has posted in this thread.
    Yeah, I know the rep posted. Ray? Nothing was said about pin valves though.

I was pretty sure you could still get pin valves too, but then I viewed the ninjapaintball.com website and found that it says, under the description for the Pro V2 reg, "This regulator like all Ninja regulators also features our ball valve design" (emphasis mine). All the other regulators pictured also show a ball valve design. So now I'm thinking that you can only get pin valve Ninja regs as old stock from retailers.

Like I mentioned, it doesn't really affect me since I use CP ASAs. I actually want a ball valve on my next tank, which I plan to be a Ninja SL77. But for those people on this forum who use a POPS ASA on their Automags, it's a concern.

Quote Originally Posted by Phaelynar View Post
    I have a Ninja SL 68/4500, and will agree here with the masses.

The only issue I had with it is it doesn't seem to like my POPS asa's. To get it to engage, I had to have shims removed which bring its output down to around 450.
    The HP tanks with a ball valve work with pops. But due to the volume of air that goes thru the larger opening. And the fact a pops is basically a push in activation. It gets pretty difficult. People do it though. Me. The only pops I have is on my Geo. The tank I use on it is 450psi so no problems at all.

I like the pops but since I run mags at 800+, I don't use 'em. I like my custom products asa's but if course you lose that streamlined look. so far my favorite is the bob long cam drive. have had zero issues with any tanks and effortless to engage.

I use an empire ultra f5 and like it a lot. Nice, regular, boring old pin valve with an easily serviceable regulator. Outputs at 800psi or so.

I also have a ninja 68/45 with a pin valve that works fine, but it's way heavier than my ultra f5. It also had the gel coat cracking issue but Ninja fixed it for me for free.

Coming from a nitroduck and pure energy, I'd recommend either.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottyBeans View Post
    I use an empire ultra f5 and like it a lot. Nice, regular, boring old pin valve with an easily serviceable regulator. Outputs at 800psi or so.

I also have a ninja 68/45 with a pin valve that works fine, but it's way heavier than my ultra f5. ... I'd recommend either.
    Clarification, the Ninja 68/45 you have must not be a SL tank? Because reviews show that the SL tank is actually a half-ounce lighter than the UF5 (probably due to the respective weights of the regulators, and not the bottles themselves).

Quote Originally Posted by Justus View Post
    Clarification, the Ninja 68/45 you have must not be a SL tank? Because reviews show that the SL tank is actually a half-ounce lighter than the UF5 (probably due to the respective weights of the regulators, and not the bottles themselves).
    Correct, my Ninja is not an SL. It's a regular old ninja tank.

Crossfire. They are so good, the DOT had to ban them

Cyco-Dude Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Phaelynar View Post
    i don't have issues with my pops (ninja 77sl @ 800psi), but, it's on a geo 3.5 which has internal air routing. i have the entire face of the asa to squeeze down on. i can totally see the pops with the front macroline fitting being a real pain. it's for that reason that i prefer the oops 2 instead (also, it's cheaper!).

i don't think you can anymore, which sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody View Post
    Crossfire. They are so good, the DOT had to ban them
    And some of the ninja tanks, aswell as other companies.

Quote Originally Posted by captian pinky View Post
    And some of the ninja tanks, aswell as other companies.
    Crossfire made the effected tanks. Others had rebranded them. BUT Ninja was the company that did the work to make them legal again.