Thread: havea Q for any of the machinists in here

havea Q for any of the machinists in here

I have a bone stock Excal I am wanting to get milled up, is this something any of you could do?

Probably no. The best that they could do are surface cuts as they would not know how deep or how far to cut in it to do anything of substance to it. To a point, DC is your only choice unless you can find someone else that has done it before.

Pretty sure he posted because Destructive Customs is rumored to have had some folks stuff for years, and doesnt respond to emails unless you are buying parts from http://www.akalmp.com .

How big is you bank account and how much are you willing to part with? (lol)

Quote Originally Posted by going_home View Post
    Pretty sure he posted because Destructive Customs is rumored to have had some folks stuff for years, and doesnt respond to emails unless you are buying parts from http://www.akalmp.com .
    I know all about the waiting list with Jared. Even though he does good work, the time tables are insane, unless you are paying $1 per week.

And yes, as Luke stated, any machinist will can do it, but expect to be paying 3x times what you think its worth, as your price and what a machinist prices are 2 different things.

yeh, i wouldnt send anything to DC, dont want to wait 3 years

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    How big is you bank account and how much are you willing to part with? (lol)
    I think thats the biggest issue with customizing stuff.

I dont know how many times over the years I've seen "custom build" threads where AKA markers are sent for custom milling and anodizing.

The proud owner of the one of a kind marker now has $1900 in the gun only to have a hard time selling it two years later for $850.

Not picking on AKA's, thats just the ones that stuck in memory.

havea Q for any of the machinists in here

Quote Originally Posted by tbaggin View Post
    I have a bone stock Excal I am wanting to get milled up, is this something any of you could do?
    I thought Jared was catching back up now that the AKA acquisition is finished.

Or get a Sharpee and a couple of files and use some imagination....

No harm in asking for quotes. Maybe check with Atomic Fabrications as well.

I dont know how many times over the years I've seen "custom build" threads where AKA markers are sent for custom milling and anodizing.

The proud owner of the one of a kind marker now has $1900 in the gun only to have a hard time selling it two years later for $850.

This is what I'm wondering about for all those with AGD slug bodies. It sounds cool to think about knocking out a neat build until you get quotes. One-offs you pay for, bulk orders are cheaper but now you're part of a crowd.

But now we're de-railing...
    Last edited by zondo; 07-04-2016 at 04:31 PM.
    Stay Classy, AO...
    BEO: RIP / Topgun Paintball: RIP / Old MCB: RIP

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody View Post
    Probably no. The best that they could do are surface cuts as they would not know how deep or how far to cut in it to do anything of substance to it. To a point, DC is your only choice unless you can find someone else that has done it before.
    I don't think that's entirely true. You would most likely have to pay additional money for them to render the body, but it would need to be done anyway to machine it.

At least that was the case with my Evil M and it turned out awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by tbaggin View Post
    I'm sure someone can, but expect a long wait and for it to be expensive. You could ask someone like John at Acidcustom, but he is located in Australia.

If it's less than $400 I would be surprised. If you are then looking at re-anodizing the whole thing in something other than a single color, you are looking at near a $1000 investment to finish it all in.

For vikings and excals yeah that is most likely the case. Most of the good looking Evil Ms will sell, assuming those people want to even part with them. That is mostly the case with any custom paintball marker though.

Check with CS900 on PBN. I had some machine work done to a Phoenix body a while ago and it was very reasonably priced and a decently fast turnaround. I sent him renderings of what I had in mind and he emailed back cad drawings with the body and cuts to be made all to scale to verify that we were on the same page. I gave the ok and a week later I had my body back. He seems to customize anything he's asked to work on.

Quote Originally Posted by zondo View Post
    But now we're de-railing...
    Its what we do.

For the money you are going to pay to get something cut and annoed, you are probably better off buying something that is already out there. Nice AKA stuff comes up for sale every now and then. Probably would be much faster too

agreed BE, but im not one for stuff thats already out there, ya know, lol