Thread: orings - mcmaster, or kit?

orings - mcmaster, or kit?

Q1: Do I really need to pick up these $20 rebuild kits, or can I just buy the orings I need in this link off mcmaster?

I have 3 xvalves that sat forever/need some maintenance, not keen on spending $60 primarily for orings. Or at least I'd like to try $10 worth of orings before $60 of rebuild kits, if it makes sense to do

For the same reason that x-valves that sit in the closet need new o-rings, you need to be concerned with the age of the o-rings that you install as "new". They can get old sitting on the shelf. So, you say, "self, let's order brand new o-rings from the industrial vendor and get a bunch for the same price as you get a few from the shop." That works well, except that with a good synthetic lube, the ones in the marker last about as long as the ones on the shelf, so you end up trashing the extras after years of keeping track of them. I buy bulk on some that I'm having particular trouble with at the time (back bottle, RT banjo, etc.) and still end up with a bunch of old ones.

There's a price break point in there somewhere, but besides quantities of common o-rings, the rebuild kits get you bumpers, reg seals, detents, and such that you may want anyway.

As long as you order the right ones, there's no harm in using an industrial supplier. The kits have been around for a long time and have their uses. If you are going to end up throwing away something, you might as well throw some money at AGD or Tuna and save the hassle of storing o-rings until they fall apart.

Just say "no" to Chinese o-rings. Their materials are often uncontrolled and they may substitute a "near fit" with a metric size. That's just a leak on an automag, but it can tear up an electro (like an Angel A1 ).

Think before you buy, meaning do you really need to change orings? I personally on my classic valve, only recently changed the reg oring(the big one that seals the threads on the 2 halves) after 18 years. Bought the gun new in 97 and the oring finally went this year. So give the valves a little oil and they might surprise you in not needing to be replaced.

Now, mags are one of the few guns in paintball where orings are critical. You need the proper size, proper material and proper durometer for them to work in the gun, without leaking. Support AGD, support Tuna and get the orings from them. You could get them slightly cheaper elsewhere but you will always run the risk of cheap parts from a non-paintball vendor who doesn't care about you.

Keep your money in paintball, keep supporting the people who allow you to play. And i wouod rather you spend $60 on parts you need versus $70+ on orings and time wasted trying to go a different route. Besides, get 2 kits. Most likely on a few orings may need changing, not every single one, or contact Tuna and see if he is offering oring only kits for CHEAPER.

Cyco-Dude Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Mueller View Post
    Q1: Do I really need to pick up these $20 rebuild kits, or can I just buy the orings I need in this link off mcmaster?

I have 3 xvalves that sat forever/need some maintenance, not keen on spending $60 primarily for orings. Or at least I'd like to try $10 worth of orings before $60 of rebuild kits, if it makes sense to do
    you get more stuff in the parts kit that makes getting one worthwhile, but if you just need piles of extra o-rings, you can get them from agd / tunaman.

Always went with the parts kit because I've honestly only rebuilt my 97 rt 2 or 3 times. The last time was in 2014 and that was the first time the little Orings on the center valve pin had ever been replaced. Used the marker 2 or 3 times that year and they finally had crystalized to the point they let air pass. So if you don't plan on flipping mags constantly where you need to rebuild them weekly. Just go with an agd kit and be done with it.

How you store your extra orings is a relevant topic in this conversation. The general rule of thumb to maximize the life of an oring, keep it away from light and from air.

I have found something which I use that achieves both of the above objectives, is fairly cheap, is easily stored in a gear box and organizes orings very well (if you ask me) - contact lens case.

Urethane seals have a shelf life of 5 years. It's not uncommon for players to have guns sitting for that long. It is certainly recommended to replace o-rings after that time frame.
    Keep in mind you can order just o-rings from AGD, and not the kits. The orings sell for an average of $1.00 each in lots of 4. I saw on McMaster Carr they sell for about $7.50 cents for 10 orings.
    Not sure who supplies McMaster Carr. If they have a good supplier and you want to order that many of the same size it is a savings.
    Once the new AGD site is up I'll definitely look into building some different kits with just the orings. No springs, shims, nubbins or foamies.
    Look for the new site sometime in August.

hah, Tim this is Mike, I bought these very kits from you yesterday at the store. Thanks again for the walkthrough on the emag valve!